Statue Queen Studios: The Dark Knight - Bale Batman 1:3

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree but unfortunately the eyes are a big part of a likeness. When you have an unmasked sculpt as good as this, I wouldn't be too fussed though lol
Agreed, but I don't think the eyes on QS are bad, I just think Prime 1 did it a little better as it has more of that squinty look he had in the movie, so they look less obvious.

The eyes on QS are actually very well painted, it's one of the things QS does really well, but they are a little big. When you look at the sculpt from straight on though they look fine to me.

It really is a hard piece to photograph from straight on. I'm looking at it now and it really does look fantastic in person, but as you said, the unmasked sculpt makes up for any shortcomings on the cowl sculpt.

I haven't received mine yet, but I'm allready planning on some modifications for my ultmate display:

1. Repainting the belt. Maby it looks better in person, but I think the yellowish gold throws it of. I want mine more dull, matt and darker as in the pic below.
1626595287938.png

2. Custom velvet cape. A new thicker cape will build up the shoulders and give them a more natural slope as well as giving a sharper color contrast to the suit.
If the stock cape can't be detached, I figur I can just put the new one on top of the old one. Since the cape should have a velvet look on the outside but silk on the inside, it might work with the right posing.

3. I might adjust the cowl head to looking down more to give him that somber look.

4. A custom base resembling the base of JND Joker, with a metallic/rust batman logo on the front and interchangeable ground elements on top:
Street pavement for displaying the cowl head, and concrete for displaying the unmasked head (resembling the batcave floor). In both cases I can ingrave a subtle bat logo out of cracks in the ground element.

Am I'm crazy for thinking such unorthodox thoughts? :idea :nono :cuckoo:

The problem with thick capes is that they don't drape well.

The stock cape is inaccurate, but it does drape well. It's too thin though. I do wish they used a flocked velvet type material. It's also fixed to the statue btw, so you can't replace it.

If you're gonna make all those sculpting changes, that's a fair effort. If you can do it, go for it. If you're gonna pay someone to customize, I wouldn't bother. Its a fairly large expense.

The problem with thick capes is that they don't drape well.

The stock cape is inaccurate, but it does drape well. It's too thin though. I do wish they used a flocked velvet type material. It's also fixed to the statue btw, so you can't replace it.

If you're gonna make all those sculpting changes, that's a fair effort. If you can do it, go for it. If you're gonna pay someone to customize, I wouldn't bother. Its a fairly large expense.
My plan is to do it myself.

It's my hobby. Initially I sculpted and painted characters on my own, but with age comes a lack of time and patience:giggle:
Nowadays I can enjoy work that other artsists produce, but I don't mind customizing if I can to make it fit my personal preferences.

I actually don't think any severe sculpting is necessary. If I cut of the peg with the magnet under the head sculpt I´m pretty sure the entire head can be angled forvard without that much of a gap in the back. Then reattach the head to the peg in new angle. Eventual gap in the back will be sculpted as undersuit mesh.

Regarding the cape and belt I´m hoping, while being careful, to be able to remove belt and plates that holds the cape in place. I don´t think I will bother repainting the belt if I cant manage to remove it first. Time will tell.

This is a fairly large scale so I´m not that worried about draping. I´ve seen thin enough velvet meterials that would do the job.

Ok, so I took the liberty of snagging a few of the posted pictures for comparison. Some pictures taken of the sculpt may be suffering from some "fisheye lensing effect". Based on the photos what seems to be off is that the the face (eyes and mouth) is to big for the size of the cowl sculpt. Both eyes and mouth seems to be a bit wider than real life. But if the statue in hand looks like the first picture, then that´s absolutely something I can live with. My guess is that Queen Studios took some artistic licence in their design, making the body a bit more slender and face more "beautiful" than real life.
1626623772141.png

1626625094812.png

The belt isn't removable, it's part of the sculpt, and yes it's the wrong colour, which is strange because on the prototype it was the correct colour. I'm ok with it though.

The eyes and the mouth have been pointed out as being 'off' (too large), so yes you're correct there. It doesn't look like the picture on the left unfortunately (I don't think that's even real...possibly a render).

They definitely took some artistic licence in the design, and I think a more narrow mouth (in fact, they should have just used the mouth on the Bale sculpt) would have made it close to perfect.

It's still the best Bale Batman we've gotten in any scale IMO, but it's not perfect unfortunately. Maybe JND will finally nail it.

The belt isn't removable, it's part of the sculpt, and yes it's the wrong colour, which is strange because on the prototype it was the correct colour. I'm ok with it though.

The eyes and the mouth have been pointed out as being 'off' (too large), so yes you're correct there. It doesn't look like the picture on the left unfortunately (I don't think that's even real...possibly a render).

They definitely took some artistic licence in the design, and I think a more narrow mouth (in fact, they should have just used the mouth on the Bale sculpt) would have made it close to perfect.

It's still the best Bale Batman we've gotten in any scale IMO, but it's not perfect unfortunately. Maybe JND will finally nail it.
I agree that detail-wise this is the best statue, with some minor liberties taken in the proportions. If one think of this statue as a portrait of a character it´s more than well done. I´m used to the old days when the best you could get was a garage kit, and if the sculpt remotely resembled the actor playing the character you were happy. I think we are being kind of "spoiled" with all the exceptional life like statues out there, which pushes expectations through the ceiling.

The picture was taken from an unboxing video on youtube:
💥Queen studio開箱直播三部曲🎊1/1半身雕像@統夢?1/3傳神鵰像@Batman黑夜之神💥1/1半身雕像@滅霸

View attachment 531690

Last edited:
Yep, tho one is really small. I'm guessing that one is the 2nd headsculpt? I haven't had a chance to open them yet.

It’s not the head sculpt, but the head stand/base. When I received mine there was a tiny box taped to the main box.

The statue is really only one box, but I’m guessing here it’s the statue, the head stand and the optional base for Batman and Joker.

Back