Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek TOS Kirk and Spock

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was catching up with the movies again: watched the third one again yesterday- Search for Spock.
I decided to unbox my 'other' Spock.

There is a little of talk about Kirk being the best there ever had been.
That was Nanjin's goal, and it didn't happen overnight.
A while back, he showed me the designs - and even then they looked fantastic. Only, he wasn't satisfied, and continued to strive towards the awesome figure we got.

I expect that the vast majority of fans didn't watch a single episode during the initial run of the show and that many weren't even alive at the time, so it's not unexpected that the show will still find an audience today. I grew up watching in the 70's and 80's for instance.

I wrote on Facebook just a moment ago: "I kinda want the more cartoony old playmates figures instead, but figures that look this good do a lot of the heavy lifting for a photographer; I don't know that I've got the chops to photograph the Playmates figures well."

Yeah I really loved those old Playmates figures and still have some of them displayed. They may have been cartoony, but they captured the characters well and had a fun style to them that I far prefer to these newer super-detailed NECA "collectible figures" that all appear to have been sculpted on a computer and are just so utterly boring to look at.

I was catching up with the movies again: watched the third one again yesterday- Search for Spock.
I decided to unbox my 'other' Spock.

There is a little of talk about Kirk being the best there ever had been.
That was Nanjin's goal, and it didn't happen overnight.
A while back, he showed me the designs - and even then they looked fantastic. Only, he wasn't satisfied, and continued to strive towards the awesome figure we got.
Thank you DVD1. Should have let you sneak peak some pictures when I was in Shanghai 2 weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G9350 using Tapatalk

@Monte Williams for the love of all things wonderful buy these. I want to see your photography skill combined with these great figures. I love all your work over on the Fwoosh. I will assure you, the wrists are fine. I actually was impressed with how smoothly they swapped and how sturdy they were. They're not as sightly as HT, but if you pose right you can generally hide them.

I grew up in a Trekkie family. But it wasn't until these figures actually and a close acquaintance of mine that I chose to watch TOS. You're right, masterpiece.

Now I don't know if I will like the reboot movies, once I get to them!

You may not like the reboot movies after getting into TOS and the original cast movies. In the reboot movies, everyone seems to have similar personality traits (very high strung, intense, slightly volatile). For me, part of the magic of TOS is the chemistry between the crew and their distinct personalities and motivations.

Nostalgia lies. I firmly believe that. It can convince us that a show has held up magnificently, when in fact it has aged terribly, or perhaps, worse still, was never any good in the first place.

So what's this have to do with Star Trek?

Simple:

I just watched the original series from start to finish.

For the first time.

I was a first-time viewer sitting down to binge all three seasons (and now the animated series) with absolutely no prior affection for the franchise. Indeed, I spent a good number of years playfully mocking my Trekkie friends.

So... objectively speaking?

It's a stone-cold masterpiece.

And now I'm trying to decide which Trek toys to pursue.

I bought a couple of the Diamond Select figures at the start of my epic marathon. They looked pretty good, although the somewhat gloppy paint apps on the faces obscure the stellar sculpts. Combined with the limited articulation in the legs, this left me cold.

I really want to get the old playmates Bridge set, but I am also tempted by these two figures you enabling bastards have been celebrating throughout this thread. They are not within the bounds of my usual budget, but they seem to be worth saving up for.

My chief objection? The wrist joints. Those things are bastard-ugly, and they don't look especially sturdy, although Michael Crawford in his review suggested that the hands swap out fine, so I'm sure they are solid. I still hate the look of them, and wish they'd gone with something more along the lines of Hot Toys or NECA wrists.

Still... this show has consumed my life these past few months, as my long-suffering friends on Facebook can attest... these two figures might be a nice way to cap off this experience.

Great read, Monte.

And so begins the great slippery slope ride...

@Monte Williams for the love of all things wonderful buy these. I want to see your photography skill combined with these great figures.

Thanks so much! I appreciate it. :)

You may not like the reboot movies after getting into TOS and the original cast movies. In the reboot movies, everyone seems to have similar personality traits (very high strung, intense, slightly volatile). For me, part of the magic of TOS is the chemistry between the crew and their distinct personalities and motivations.

That dynamic is much of what I love about the old show, too. But maybe if I don't watch the reboot films until after I've spent months plowing through the various other series, I'll be more open to it.

Great read, Monte.

Thanks! I had a lot of fun writing it; I've been in full-on squee mode on Facebook for months, but this was the first time I tried to convey the whole experience in one go, versus these piecemeal bursts of excitement on my timeline.

And so begins the great slippery slope ride...

Ha ha, that's what I'm afraid of!

One to beam down

IMG_2406.jpgIMG_2407.jpgIMG_2409.jpg

Astra, I would caption your picture as "The gift that keeps on giving."

Very cool display there James the Cat!!

Nice! They have the kind of neutral expressions that one can read emotion into; here they look somewhat startled.
Yes! They really look befuddled! At first I had them look straight at the camera, but then I thought it was boring and let them look at each other.

james the cat, that is a wonderful display indeed! Sadly I don't have space otherwise I so would make this as well.

Astra, I would caption your picture as "The gift that keeps on giving."
That's a great one ;)

Where did you get the Tribbles? I'd love to get or make some for my display too.
They were sent to me by a girl in the Netherlands. She got them a while ago in a local shop and said they are not available anymore, so I guess she bred some for me ;) I don't know the exact name though, sorry.

I wonder if the Creation Station Pom Poms are similar? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creation-S...eywords=Creation+Station+Bumper+Pom+Poms+Pack

I found these while looking but didn't get them.

Bonus Tribbles pictures with DST figures. Scotty was not amused to have them on his console.

https://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/DieAstra/PPP Star Trek/Tribbles 1 600 x 554.jpg

https://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q227/DieAstra/PPP Star Trek/Tribbles 2 549 x 600.jpg

2447f5b3b352e2e72be8bf5af97434ac.jpg
ea6a0e7b2ec4d3944c9ffc9f64962988.jpg
457032a617b74e85e45541fd2e193a8e.jpg
Finally had a chance to unbox these two after getting them for Christmas from my wife. I suck at taking pictures, but just wanted to share. So happy to add these to my collection. Bring on the rest of the crew!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Back