Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy

Picked up Bones with a decent Boxing Day discount. Very happy camper to have the Trifecta of TOS!

Re: Quantum Mechanix 1/6 Star Trek The Original Series Dr. Leonard "Bones" McCoy

Finally picked one of these up so I could complete the trio. I waited too long for the exclusive unfortunately, but the standard still makes for a really nice figure all the same. The wrinkles and details of his face still seem way over exaggerated (making him look more like the older TMP McCoy), but from a normal viewing distance it doesn't seem quite as noticeable.

One change I did make was to switch to a Threezero Rick Grimes body with narrower shoulders and flatter chest, and I think it improves the look considerably. I had originally bought the body to use for Spock, but the torso just didn't seem quite long enough for him. Thankfully it does work great for McCoy though. :)

20180417_203407 (588x975).jpg

20180417_200349 (569x825).jpg

That looks really nice. :clap

That is brilliant!
Did the head port over easily? Any mods?

Yeah the head went on fine, although it is a tight fit. The only mod I had to make was to dremel one half of the foot peg so it could fit in the narrower Threezero socket.

Bones looks great, davejames.

Can you post a pic with him displayed next to Kirk and/or Spock? Just curious to see the height, in comparison.

Yeah I'll do that later today. I do know he measures 12" inches tall though, since I measured him. Kelley was 5'10, so it should probably be a hair shorter, but I think I can live with it.

Unfortunately those bodies are pretty hard to come by now, and I doubt TA will be breaking any more down. :(

Here they are directly side-by-side. McCoy is a hair taller than Kirk now, which feels right to me. And you can really see how much better the body is. Even after dremeling Spock's body down a bit and trying to make it leaner, the chest is still clearly way too broad for him.

20180418_203446 (900x785).jpg

Nice work indeed. Not using the chair for Kirk anymore?

Ha yeah, if they ever release a green wraparound version I'll probably do something similar, and devote one to just being in the chair.

I'd actually love to have an old Scotty - I'd pose him and Picard with the chair like they were in 'Relics', and have Kirk, Spock, and Bones standing together separately.

Finally picked one of these up so I could complete the trio. I waited too long for the exclusive unfortunately, but the standard still makes for a really nice figure all the same. The wrinkles and details of his face still seem way over exaggerated (making him look more like the older TMP McCoy), but from a normal viewing distance it doesn't seem quite as noticeable.

One change I did make was to switch to a Threezero Rick Grimes body with narrower shoulders and flatter chest, and I think it improves the look considerably. I had originally bought the body to use for Spock, but the torso just didn't seem quite long enough for him. Thankfully it does work great for McCoy though. :)

View attachment 405219

View attachment 405220

Nice work:clap

The lack of activity on this line makes me think it is shelved- Khan was an exclusive and nothing since then..

Khan was undeniably a flop. And that’s why Dave was polling. I think we will see minimum one more but I think they realize that they need to be careful about what is released to keep the health of the line going. If the next one flips too I’d say the line is pretty much good as done.

Khan was a curious one to run with, since there could be no doubt in anyone's minds that he was going to be less popular than all the Starfleet characters they've teased so far, and probably less popular than his iconic TWoK appearance, which is pointless without some other TWoK character figures.

They have to avoid running with only the most popular characters first or the line runs out of steam fast (I don't just want to see 6 versions of Kirk and Spock and nobody else) but if they are using third tier guest stars, at least put in some accessories that will be of use with the more popular characters to tease people in, whether that is more weapons, an alternate costume for Kirk, or even an alternate head sculpt.

I don't just want to see 6 versions of Kirk and Spock and nobody else
It's difficult I guess. There are those who want the whole bridge crew (like me) but there are also those that say why should I buy a Bones when I missed out on Kirk and Spock. So for those missing out in first round a new variant or even the same figure again would be great. They won't buy a Captain's Chair if they don't have a Captain to sit in.

It's difficult I guess. There are those who want the whole bridge crew (like me) but there are also those that say why should I buy a Bones when I missed out on Kirk and Spock. So for those missing out in first round a new variant or even the same figure again would be great. They won't buy a Captain's Chair if they don't have a Captain to sit in.

They should produce a second run or variant run of Kirk and Spock if there is demand and it will assist sales of the other figures for sure. The trick is not to do that instead of the others but to make collectors aware that variants are planned so collecting other characters will still pay off eventually.

Back