Statue Prime 1 Studio x Blitzway: The Dark Knight: 1/3 The Joker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More in hand pictures.
This time by Brian Cheng.
FB_IMG_1639976047032.jpgFB_IMG_1639976044112.jpgFB_IMG_1639976040004.jpg

I'm not sure about the pockmarking sorta effect in these pics, maybe it gives texture in person but on those pics it looks a bit overdone?
I see it and thought the same thing.

Another repaint. (Artist unknown)
Proves that the likeness/ sculpt is there. It just needs good paint to bring it to life.

The high gloss around the eyes aren't doing it any favors.

View attachment 551417
Something still off in the eyes to me but what an improvement. Night and day. I hope those that love this statue can have it re-painted. Sucks that they buried the sculpt in that sub-par paint job. Now to see how the bust fares...

Exactly why the sculpt is great. It’s the paint that brings it down. Can be made to look way better. Sculpt is something harder to achieve and P1 did well.

Exactly why the sculpt is great. It’s the paint that brings it down. Can be made to look way better. Sculpt is something harder to achieve and P1 did well.
Kind of hard to compare the sculpting job for the initial mold vs the individual paint jobs of a mass produced item. From what I've seen the latter is always the most difficult to produce and we've seen a lot of great sculpts buried under crappy paint jobs through the years.

Personally, I award zero points to Prime 1 for creating a decent sculpt and then screwing up the final product that most collectors will receive and be stuck with.

But a nice sculpt is buried under subpar paint. Easier to have it this way versus having a subpar sculpt with great paint apps. I’d rather the former versus the latter. P1 unfortunately is 2 for 2 with great sculpts and bad paint apps. Looks at their 1/2 Ledger. Adam Gu sculpt with subpar paint apps. Still a great sculpt nonetheless.

But a nice sculpt is buried under subpar paint. Easier to have it this way versus having a subpar sculpt with great paint apps. I’d rather the former versus the latter. P1 unfortunately is 2 for 2 with great sculpts and bad paint apps. Looks at their 1/2 Ledger. Adam Gu sculpt with subpar paint apps. Still a great sculpt nonetheless.
Sure, if you have the ability or $ to get it repainted and it comes out well. That's not most of their customers though. Unfortunately, Prime 1 will continue to pump out crappy paint jobs until people stop buying them.

Another repaint. (Artist unknown)
Proves that the likeness/ sculpt is there. It just needs good paint to bring it to life.

The high gloss around the eyes aren't doing it any favors.

View attachment 551417
Dang Prime 1 can't paint for sh1t. Typical prime 1, excellent sculpt, crappy paint apps, minus transformers/robotic pieces but they are far more easier to paint compared to organic pieces.

Prime 1 should just sell blank sculpts from now on and charge 1/3 of the price.

I'm still not a fan of the sculpt as the chin is still too big and the eyes are off, but man what an improvement. Credit where it's due. The likeness is drastically improved with a repaint.

To be fair to the competition, I also think some of the likeness issues with JND are attributed to the paint style as well and that would also benefit and be improved with a different paint job that didn't make him look as old.

Prime 1 really dropped the ball with that crappy paint job though, and I fully expect the bust to look just as bad as a lot of their stuff has rubbish paint.

Still, at least it's possible to improve it with a good paint job if you're willing to pay.

Man I decided to keep my order still but then photos like this really make me second guess myself. Would I lose what is essentially a Hot Toys ($350) to cancel this?
Screenshot 2021-12-21 155610.png

Man I decided to keep my order still but then photos like this really make me second guess myself. Would I lose what is essentially a Hot Toys ($350) to cancel this?View attachment 551623

I'm keeping mine after seeing the photos Prime1 posted, those looked pretty good. There does appear to be more drop in the paint quality than I would have liked for sure but it's not nearly as bad as some are making it out to be after seeing those awful first pics. If Prime1 would have just proactively released those pics from the start there would have just been the usual opinions back and forth instead of the major online controversy that it became. I got a great deal on the whole statue with the extra sculpt so I'll try to get it repainted eventually if I feel it's necessary.

Man I decided to keep my order still but then photos like this really make me second guess myself. Would I lose what is essentially a Hot Toys ($350) to cancel this?View attachment 551623
A lot more than $350 to go through with it. Were it me, I would keep the order and judge it in person, having already paid the NRD. Can always return/sell it if it’s not to your liking.

Repaints have proven its potential.
I'm keeping mine and will probably get the face custom painted down the line.

but his mouth looks like fire marshal bill LOL, tell me your old enough to know in living color LOL! Thats what that smile looks like lol. Far from the best sculpt that smiled ruined it. Now the other one will see. But Im going to call him fire marshal Bill.

But this needs to be repainted just like I had to repaint the P1 half scale. Idk whos painting over there but they ain't getting paid much.

Back