Oh no! No Peter Jackson on The Hobbit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somehow I got a feeling that since all these people are businessmen... Money will somehow will the race... A possible settlement could be to settle the "money" issue from FOTR with the earnings from the upcoming Hobbits movie. It will definitely be very complicated since they are 2 issues altogether and before the films are made, there are no guarantee it will be a hit.. like LOTR.

But it could a possible scenerio..:eek: :eek: :eek:

Posted on TORn. Maybe it will make some here chuckle. :D
18082.gif

New Line hasn't commented publicly about it at all. They don't want to be seen to be influenced by the talent. PJ is a smart man, he released this news just so it would raise an outcry in the fan community. But he doesn't waffle about what this is really about - he refuses to even discuss The Hobbit until the accounting lawsuit is settled. As we've seen from past suits of this type such as Buchwald v. Paramount (Coming to America) the settlement could take many years. PJ is using the Hobbit to strong-arm New Line into settling in PJ's favor. Of course a studio can NEVER admit that their shady and arcane accounting practices are anything but routine. If they were to give in to PJ it would open the door for many, many more lawsuits not just for New Line but for every studio.

(According to Warner Bros. the '89 Batman movie which has grossed over $800 million from all revenue sources has not made it's costs back yet.)

As for Saentz - MGM probably has an option on the Hobbit. Which means they have the right to make a movie of it for a certain period of time. If they exercise the option (i.e. greenlight the film) then the rights are either purchased by MGM (doubtful, as Saul is far too shrewd for that) or they are extended for a certain period of time. This part is speculation, I'm sure the deal is very complicated.

I think PJ is very smart to do what he's doing and I'd like to see more transparency in the film business. There has been too much secrecy for far too long.

But that said - PJ could start work on the Hobbit tomorrow if he wanted to, he'd just have to either settle the lawsuit, or agree to talk about it even though the suit isn't settled. He could make a much tougher deal and even make it contingent on monies he's owed from the trilogy. I'm betting NL would cave no matter what he demanded. It's not New Line that is saying that they won't consider PJ until the suit is behind them - it's PJ.

Radagaster said:
A chat with a fellow-Tolkienite revealed how PJ's vision of The Hobbit could be a bit dark. This is speculation of course. Any fan who's read The Hobbit knows how more light-hearted and whimsical it is compared to LOTR.

I think Radagaster brings up a interesting point. As much as I feel Jackson's LOTR films are near perfection, one hopes he would consider approaching "The Hobbit" in a different tone to match the different kind of tale it is.

Darklord Dave said:
I think PJ is very smart to do what he's doing and I'd like to see more transparency in the film business. There has been too much secrecy for far too long.

But that said - PJ could start work on the Hobbit tomorrow if he wanted to, he'd just have to either settle the lawsuit, or agree to talk about it even though the suit isn't settled. He could make a much tougher deal and even make it contingent on monies he's owed from the trilogy. I'm betting NL would cave no matter what he demanded. It's not New Line that is saying that they won't consider PJ until the suit is behind them - it's PJ.

I fully agree with you here Dave.
In business it's never clear cut and in a business that involves hundreds of millions with everyone wanting their slice we the fans will never really know what's going on.
Like you said PJ is a smart man maybe this a last ditch effort.

jaffakitkat said:
Just a question from someone who's not really up on entertainment law. So next year the rights for The Hobbit fall back to Saul Zaentz if New Line doesn't get going on it. But if New Line do start making it, with or without PJ, does that mean that their rights then extend until they're finished, and then fall back to Zaentz afterwards?

Might be a stupid question. I have very little idea of how this stuff works. :)

I've asked the same question on a number of Forums but no one seems to know for certain.

I'm guessing that they would be ok as long as they had started filming by the date their deal ends.

If on the otherhand they need to have a finished film by that date then I dread to see what they would come up with in that time.

We've been caught hook, line and sinker on this one. Come on peeps, does anyone really think The Hobbit will be made without PJ???? A gazillion dollars on the line will eventually dictate what happens with this project.

At any rate, as much as I liked PJ's take on my favorite story, it might...just might be kinda cool to see another talented director's vision on The Hobbit. I know about the old saying...if it ain't broke and all. But you know what they say about variety too! But it is 99.999999999999% certain that PJ will be the director once all the posturing and sueing is over and done with.

Just to feed the fire . . .my colleague asserts that a new vision might be refreshing by hiring a new director with a lighter take on things. When I balked, my friend simply cited how Star Wars benefitted when Lucas hired a different director for ESB. My take on it was that Star Wars sucked under Lucas to begin with that anyone was better. The case may not be true with The Hobbit. So . . .with that we'll see.

Maybe Peter Jackson can direct under a pseudo name -- maybe under the name of Michael Jackson

Wassup! :monkey5

Though he has had that surgery to lose weight, he could shave the beard, and direct under a new name to avoid conflicts with the law suit. :)

ju421019 said:
Maybe Peter Jackson can direct under a pseudo name -- maybe under the name of Michael Jackson

Wassup! :monkey5

Though he has had that surgery to lose weight, he could shave the beard, and direct under a new name to avoid conflicts with the law suit. :)
Yeah who would guess one guy was the other? :lol
peter_jackson3.jpg
peter_jackson_narrowweb__300x460,0.jpg

From TORn:
"The New Director of 'The Hobbit' is.....?

11/22/06, 5:47 pm EST - Xoanon

Word from a reliable source indicates that Sam Raimi has been approached to direct THE HOBBIT. Since Peter Jackson's (Middle-)earth shattering news that he is off the project, it seems the Spider-Man director may step into his place. Raimi was born on October 23rd, 1959 in Royal Oak, Michigan. His first big hit was 'The Evil Dead' but he really gained cult status with 'Evil Dead II'. It is his amazing work on the Spider-Man series that has propelled Raimi to the mainstream. His latest film 'Spider-Man 3' is due out this May.
While there is no word on Raimi accepting the invitation, it remains to be seen who, if anyone, will be replacing Peter Jackson! "

This is getting quite amusing.

I wonder with the fans of PJ up in arms are directors less inclined to take up the job (die hard fans will not like it no matter what) or will it make any difference.

NOT SO FAST

MGM has a BIG say in the making of the Hobbit and they WANT Jackson...

"All of this has riled MGM, which in recent weeks has been openly touting the fact that the newly revamped studio is serious about making "The Hobbit" -- with Jackson.

An MGM spokesman said that "the matter of Peter Jackson directing 'The Hobbit' films is far from closed."

Though New Line no-commented inquiries about Jackson's statement, the mini-major's move is a loud statement to both MGM and Jackson that the studio is in the driver's seat when it comes to "The Hobbit."

Follow the link for the full article....
https://www.variety.com/article/VR1117954301.html?categoryid=13&cs=1&query=hobbit

Back