Oh no! No Peter Jackson on The Hobbit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The fact is, just based on the differences in books, I think public perception will be that The Hobbit is a lesser work, which it is.

Whatever happens to The Hobbit, it'll never change the fact that together they all made three amazing films that work seemlessly together to become one superb adaptation of one of the greatest books ever written. Next to that accomplishment, The Hobbit could never be on equal ground.

I kinda, sorta disagree on those two points. The Hobbit is a rich, interwoven story unto itself. Putting The Hobbit on the big screen would be just as daunting, if not more so, than LOTR was. You'd have to put the Rivendell and Hobbiton sets back up as well as create new sets for Laketown, Mirkwood, The Lonely Mountain / Smaug's Lair, the troll encounter in the Old Forest, the Hall of the Wood Elves, as well as incorporate the Battle of Five Armies just to name a very few. Add the balancing act of a convincing talking dragon into that mix and you can see that if done right, this will not be considered a "lesser work." I do however think the story is simpler. That could be a good thing though in that it will allow a deeper immersion into the atmosphere, or feeling of Tolkien's Middlearth that I experienced the first time I read the books. It is hard to explain, but as much as I loved Jackson's work on the films, at times it just did not seem like Middlearth to me. The simpler story line of The Hobbit may help solve that. We will see.

Well, I disagree that the PT hurt the OT. I think if anything it actually improved it because it added to an already great Saga. I just don't feel the same can happen with The Hobbit if PJ isn't doing it. It's not the same director so right there tosses a whole nother feel to it not to mention the person might not have the same respect for the material and make even more changes than are needed. I see this a much more slippery slope than SW.

Whoever the new director is I have a strong feeling he isn't going to be stupid. He will try to remain as true to what PJ did as he can. He will know that's what many fans want and expect.

I doubt someone will come in iwht a big chip on their shoulder and try to change the whole thing.

I still wish PJ was the one in charge because I feel that he would have dome an amazing job on The Hobbit. I just think whoever they bring in will TRY to stay true to what Jackson started with LOTR.

jlcmsu said:
Well, I disagree that the PT hurt the OT. I think if anything it actually improved it because it added to an already great Saga. I just don't feel the same can happen with The Hobbit if PJ isn't doing it. It's not the same director so right there tosses a whole nother feel to it not to mention the person might not have the same respect for the material and make even more changes than are needed. I see this a much more slippery slope than SW.
Stained? STAINED? For me it ENHANCED the OT. Man I can't tell you how my love of epIV grew because of ep 1-3. When Luke asks Ben what happened to his father and the look Ben gives Luke when he is telling him the story of how Vader murdered his father has so much more meaning now.

And the moment that Hayden's ghost steps out at the end of ROTJ is so beautiful and chokes me up every damn time.

No. Lucas the story teller maybe > than PJ the story teller but PJ the director is > Lucas the director. The Hobbit can go through no other hands than PJ's.

:bow

pixletwin said:
Stained? STAINED? For me it ENHANCED the OT. Man I can't tell you how my love of epIV grew because of ep 1-3. When Luke asks Ben what happened to his father and the look Ben gives Luke when he is telling him the story of how Vader murdered his father has so much more meaning now.

And the moment that Hayden's ghost steps out at the end of ROTJ is so beautiful and chokes me up every damn time.

No. Lucas the story teller maybe > than PJ the story teller but PJ the director is > Lucas the director. The Hobbit can go through no other hands than PJ's.

:bow

Amen!!:chew

jlcmsu said:

Well George Lucas hurt the OT, if he would have let Kershner and Marquand continue to direct it would have been better (and yes I am slightly joking, Marquand is dead :monkey2 ). :monkey3

LOTRFan said:
Well George Lucas hurt the OT, if he would have let Kershner and Marquand continue to direct it would have been better (and yes I am slightly joking, Marquand is dead :monkey2 ). :monkey3

I agree with that if Lucas had let someone else direct the PT they might be liked by more than just some of the fans.

jlcmsu said:
I agree with that.
Me too. He approached Kasdan to help with the script but Kasdan turned him down and I would think Kirsherr is wayyyy past retirement age now.

My only problem with the PT is that they basically made Vader irredeemable. The guy murdered children, lots of them.

These Hobbit announcements sort of remind me of a new Sideshow product preview. Everyone can rip it apart before viewing the actual finished product for themeselves. :rotfl

Bannister said:
My only problem with the PT is that they basically made Vader irredeemable. The guy murdered children, lots of them.
Yeah, plus he tries choking his wife to death with 1 known kid in her stomach!:emperor

From what I seen of Anakin in the OT I was expecting something totally different. Someone likable and a good reason on why he turned (or atleast the actual turning better thought out). Still, 1&2 seemed like waste a of time (with huge gaps), but 3 was better.

As for the hobbit...

voted no way too since none of the other 2 choices are suitable. votes seem pretty even at this point...

Last edited:
:cool: Even our local newspaper has picked up the subject in todays issue!

20minuten.jpg

Quick translation:

Thousands of users are supporting „Lord of the Rings“ director Peter Jackson.

After uproar on the web: Jackson still to direct “The Hobbit”

Victory of good over evil? “Lord of the Rings” director Peter Jackson is still to be directing the adaption of the fantasy epic prequel.
After sueing the studio New Line Cinema because of earnings from the first part of the trilogy, New Line said they would do “The Hobbit” without the help of Jackson.
Now Saul Zaentz, who owns the rights to the story, said that Jackson will definitely be directing “The Hobbit”. Jackson owes this for the most part to the web community. They have arranged for petitions signed by thousands.

Source supposedly is Keystone (but maybe that just refers to the picture).

It's been long since I read about LotR in our local newspaper, the last time probably was the Oscars in 2003...:lol

Last edited:
did the article say the picture is not an updated one? non lotr fans would either think he's still fat or he has put on weight again. :lol

My god... AICN comment section is all that is wrong with the internet (or people in general). Was watching the Rings on TNT the other day and I fear for The Hobbit without Jackson and the team. :( I don't care what people say if it matters or not. It does to me. I only hope whoever does it doesn't ruin it and make me wonder what could have been (i.e. the SW prequels).

Back