Oh no! No Peter Jackson on The Hobbit

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, if this is true this is total BS. I need to see more info before regarding this as the whole truth. This doesn't make me wanna go see it.

I havr to admit I am stunned. New Line just shot themselves in the foot over this. It could have been an amazing project and now I have little faith that it will be anything more than cheap money making attempt.

The callousness in their approach to Jackson with their idea of settling the legal issues with him doing the Hobbit as a matter of "the way it's done" is outrageous. Before their luck in getting LOTR, they were a second-rate company specializing in relatively low-budget slasher and frat-boy humor cult films. What Jackson and company brought to them was credibility and, with the winning of the various Oscars, prestige. As they say in the commercials -- priceless. NL and their bean-counting leadership has indeed screwed up.

Now the big question is if the other members of the LOTR team (McKellan, Serkis, Howe, Lee, Shore) would be approached to jump onto the non-Jackson Hobbit and, if so, would they do it? Or would they decline out of loyalty to Jackson or -- better yet -- decline because it COULD mean the end of their movie careers as they've known it due to the obvious backlash the LOTR/Jackson fanatics?

I won't be going to see this film if PJ ain't the director & I have a feeling that some actors that might of returned for this film, won't now

Just shows you that movie studios don't give a poo about good films, just huge profits

TORN Article

Can't really see the Coming soon article and I wanted more info because I've seen coming soon get things wrong in the past. I trust TORN a lot and this is it. I just don't get this at all. On either of these teams parts for that matter not being able to work something out. I know there are plenty of folks that said other directors could do it equally as good as PJ. Well, now you get to put up or shut up because we shall see.

Like the article said I feel like something bad just happened and I feel pretty sad. My love for LOTR is bigger than PJ and crew but I was just a mild fan of LOTR before PJ touched this and to know he won't be making The Hobbit really makes me sad. I'm actually starting to get filled with anger against New Line for sure and somewhat pissed at PJ/Crew for not being adults to work this out so the fans don't get hurt in all this.

I will be firing off several emails to several folks letting them know how ticked I am.

Right now I'm bummed and my collecting interest is at an all time low. In the heat of the moment it makes me just want to wash my hands of all the items I have of LOTR and say if you wanna turn your back on me fine. I'll do the same to you. I won't thought since that would be a very childish way to go about things. I will say thanks to PJ/Crew for the ride and for really getting me into LOTR more than I thought I would. I love them for that and the memories I have from seeing the movies on Trilogy Tuesday with my Dad and the connection it brought to me with my Mom will live with me forever. Today though it hits you that yes there will be more ME films but nothing nearly as special.

Let me first get this out.....NEW LINE....you are a bunch of %^@@@(*@*((*@(@@**(@(@*(@@_(@)+@()@@(*#*^^%@#%@%@&@%@&*)@&@%^@^%@@$@$@%@^@%@(@(@@&&@^@%$@$@#@)@)!)))(@*((@*@!*&&!&(^&@#%^#%#%#%#@&^^@%@%*@(@@%@!%$!$$!@*)))@((@...on top of that you are....&^#^(@)(@())!^^!^!*&#@#)_#)_)#@)(@()*#@^#^#%#&*(#^^#!_!()()#@_....phew...ok...I feel better.

Seriously....they have to be living on a different planet if they think The Hobbit can be done by anyone else that Peter Jackson. The most important thing to consider is the original actors would not return probably out of respect to PJ. I also recently read that the original rights return back to Saul
Zaentz in 2007, who also said PJ would make the film. For the love of God please don't let the script or film fall into the hands of the Weinstein Brothers...they wanted to kill off one of the Hobbits in LOTR because he said the audience would want it that way...!!!

Let's light some candles and pray things get worked out soon!

Josh...could you provide a link to New Line or anybody else you had to express our anger....yes I'm pissed about this...about this decision. It's all about the corporate dickwads at the top having a staring contest to see who flinches.

Let's grab our pitchforks and tourches boys...it's time to STORM THE CASTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a lot to say about this but not the time. I'll post more later.

Smeagol's not pleased, no preciouss, not pleased at all!

Kookie said:
Josh...could you provide a link to New Line or anybody else you had to express our anger....yes I'm pissed about this...about this decision. It's all about the corporate dickwads at the top having a staring contest to see who flinches.

Let's grab our pitchforks and tourches boys...it's time to STORM THE CASTLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will when I get home. The school's network blocks newlines site so I can't get the proper email from here. I will get it tonight or if someone else can post it please do.

Ya know something I just thought about. NL can make these films right? MGM has the right to distribute them right? Man, if I was MGM I'd go hard at Jackson that way they can really look like hero's to all LOTR/ME/Tolkien fans because they got PJ.

I'm in the mindset to boycott right now but I gotta take a deep breath before I say for sure. If they get someone like Spielberg I could mind you could be ok with that. If the rest of the gang will come back it has a chance to be good if not then I pretty much gonna suck. I can guarantee I won't be getting any collectibles from it though.

Hey maybe they'll get Joel Schumaker to do it!

I can see it now: Goblin armor with nipples!!

Good move New Line. I hear they are looking at fixing the wheel too, since one of their accountants thinks its too round. He says they can get by on a half round wheel.

This is bad news,I mean the hobbit sounded rubbish anyway but with no PJ it will suck even more!

I dont like pj movies there too long but now he's done the first 3 movies he might as well do the rest.

buffy-collector said:
This is bad news,I mean the hobbit sounded rubbish anyway but with no PJ it will suck even more!

I dont like pj movies there too long but now he's done the first 3 movies he might as well do the rest.

Why did the Hobbit sound like rubbish? Also, you imply that even with PJ it still would have sucked? Just suck MORE w/o him?

KitFisto said:
Why did the Hobbit sound like rubbish? Also, you imply that even with PJ it still would have sucked? Just suck MORE w/o him?

Kind of how I took it. :rolleyes: No offense to Buffy fans but like Buffy was the greatest thing ever. Other than SMG not sure there was much to that show worth watching.:cool:

Hmmmm... This is an interesting development. I still have hope (even if it is a fool's hope). :monkey1

Darth Waller said:
Without the possibility of having Jackson, WETA, et al, this is tragic news for The Hobbit. :monkey2
How is this related to Ian and WETA not being involved though? :confused:

omg... that's so crappy.

i'm so pissed right now i duno what else to say.

it's just tragic that NL made this decision.

pixletwin said:
How is this related to Ian and WETA not being involved though? :confused:

Believe Jackson is either owner or a partner of the company with Richard Taylor, et al.

Back