Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

Why u troll u bloody kids!!!!!!!!

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.JPG

:rotfl

Ruining my coffee time... :lol

The word Xenomorph is not in the dictionary. Any meaning of the word is purely fiction so it's pretty much open to anything; although a quick google search links it almost solely to 'Alien'.

The reason the term isn't in any dictionary is because (as many people have pointed out) it's a combination of two words: Xeno and Morph. Both of which are found in all dictionaries. Same reason most dictionaries don't list a definition for "Rock Climber" because it's a combination of two words with their own definitions.

The term Xenomorph was made up in Aliens.

No.

Has the word ever been used outside the Alien universe?

Yes. See Below..

Earth biology term for unknown shape or entity

:lecture:lecture:lecture

Here's the funniest part: The majority of names we use for all these creatures aren't even in any of the movies. No one ever says 'Face Hugger' or 'Chest Burster' and in the first film no one says 'Xenomorph' either. Almost ALL those names come from people involved behind the scenes (i.e. writers/directors/FX teams/etc.) or fans, so realistically they're all non-canon in regards to the actual movies. They're essentially nicknames.

Exactly. No one says "HOLY JEEZE! LOOKATDAT SPACE JOCKEY!

The reason the term isn't in any dictionary is because (as many people have pointed out) it's a combination of two words: Xeno and Morph. Both of which are found in all dictionaries. Same reason most dictionaries don't list a definition for "Rock Climber" because it's a combination of two words with their own definitions.

By that theory then it should be Xeno Morph for the real world and Xenomorph in Alien.

I not too bothered about the word anyway. If someone involved in a film or a fan come up with a word it exists to whoever wants to accept it in the fiction world.:lol

Yautja doesn't exist because it's only refrenced in the books. And not in any film, nor is it said by anyone working on the films.

To be honest I always thought Xenomorph sounded lame. :monkey1

Why did I even respond to this madness :lol feel like i've fueled it

The thing is, Xenomorph (introduced to the series by Cameron and first used in Aliens by Gorman) was a generic term. It's no different than when Ash uses the term "Organism" in the first film. Gorman had no clue as to what he was referring to. Because neither he (or anyone else besides Ripley) had seen the Alien.

So "Xenomorph" could be used to describe every single stage of the Alien and it could even be used to describe every creature in Prometheus.

Technically. But that is clearly not the case now. The Alien is known as a Xenomorph.

It's in 2 movies, and it's the clearest way to say what I'm talking about.

Otherwise it'd be like this...

The Alien isn't an Alien, it's just an Alien. But it came from a different Alien and was birthed using Alien DNA. :lol

That's conversation outside of the context of the film though. So you can use whatever term you want i.e. you can call the facehugger a vajayjay with fingers and it would be fine. But within the context of the movies/canon, none of those creatures have names.

That's conversation outside of the context of the film though. So you can use whatever term you want i.e. you can call the facehugger a vajayjay with fingers and it would be fine. But within the context of the movies/canon, none of those creatures have names.

That is correct.

Back