Official "Ridley Scott's Prometheus" Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Official Alien Prequel/Prometheus Discussion Thread

Giger has actually only worked on 2 Alien movies, the first and the third. He gets credited for all the others since they use his original designs. So yes, it IS possible for him to not work on a film involving Aliens.

When Giger is officially credited for working in this movie I'll believe it. Until then.. meh.

That's stupid...because he's been mentioned a 100000000000 ____ing times from Ridley, and from everyone else.

And yet he's not listed on any official cast and crew lists. Like I said.. meh.

Come on...you cant believe IMDB. They once had Rosemary Harris as Aunt May/Carnage for Spider-Man 3, and had Halo with director Uwe Boll.

Prometheus has already started filming. The IMDB listing for that film isn't speculation (like the examples you gave). Show me a single error with the IMDB cast/crew listing for Prometheus.

Prometheus has already started filming. The IMDB listing for that film isn't speculation (like the examples you gave). Show me a single error with the IMDB cast/crew listing for Prometheus.

H.R Giger isn't on it.

Nope. Here's one from a swiss newspaper...

https://www.blick.ch/unterhaltung/kino/oscars/h-r-giger-jagt-den-naechsten-oscar-167311

translation...

https://www.alienprequelnews.com/2011/02/hr-giger-its-going-to-be-huge.html

He's not working on everything. He's doing I believe one or two designs in the film.

Plus the film is being kept a ultra secret on what it is. Aside from us nerds, the general audience doesnt know who the Fass is playing...who Theron will be, and the fact that this is a prequel to Alien with Space Jockies.

IMDB is like wikipedia.
ANYBODY can add or remove infos.
I know i do it all the times for the projects i work on.
I have to add myself, even if i'm actually credited for the movie
The pages are not created by studios.
There is nothing official about IMDB.

As for Giger, he did work on the movie.
But there is a catch.
Do you remember the name of the production designers of Alien or Blade Runner? Probably not.
You probably remember Giger, Cobb, Moebius, Mead.
And the actual production designer name was forgotten.
The production designer of PROMETHEUS, Arthur Max who is really close to Scott made sure that it did not happen this time and didnt want to risk having to pick an oscar or any prize and go on stage with Giger like it happened before for another prod designer, he asked that giger was considered as a conceptual artist like the others, working under his supervision.
Word is that Giger refused and wanted to report only to Scott,
And also Giger is not Union.
So in the end he will probably have a consultant, or original design credit.
What has happened is that Giger did some designs who were then reworked by many artist, Neville page being one of them.

IMDB is like wikipedia. ANYBODY can add or remove infos.

And just like Wikipedia, there's a staff that checks everything and filters out all the BS. Which is why you'll never see someone join up and credit themselves with a crap load of movies they were never in/never worked on. Like I said, show me an error with the current Prometheus credits on IMDB and I'll believe it's wrong.

There is nothing official about IMDB.

Just like there's nothing official about internet articles. If IMDB isn't reliable, how are "news" articles on the internet any more reliable? I've seen numerous conflicting reports about H.R. Giger and his involvement with Prometheus that range from him not being involved at all to him doing a few designs to the film makers re-working his original Alien designs from the first movie. In other words, nothing concrete and reliable.

What has happened is that Giger did some designs who were then reworked by many artist, Neville page being one of them.

This is one angle I've heard before, and according to that article those designs were simply the original stuff he did for Alien (1978). Re-worked and reverse engineered for Prometheus i.e. nothing new and no actual involvement in the new movie.

Like I pointed out earlier, Giger was not involved in Aliens, Alien Resurrection, AVP or AVP:R (same as Dan O'Bannon) but both guys got credit in those films since all those movies used things they created (designs, characters, etc.) But people have confused that credit with those guys being involved in those movies. There's still people who think Giger designed the Alien Queen which was actually designed/created by Cameron and Winston.

Like I said, I'll believe Giger was involved in Prometheus when I see it in some official capacity.

in interviews with ridley and limedoff Giger is just an advisor. Giger's wife stated that he is just giving advise and ideas, but is not officially on the project. In my opinion, i have a feeling he is officially designing it, but they are keeping it a secret so it does not fully give away that it is actually a lead up to an Alien Prequel and envolves the Space Jockey..i believe that the sequal is a direct prequel. Ridley and limdoff stated at comic con they are already working on the sequel since this is suppose to be a new trilogy

yes i know just wanted to point the fact that it's not always accurate and should be taken with a grain of salt especially with movies still in production.
Never said anything was wrong on PROMETHEUS credits, but the fact that Giger is not mentionned there doesnt mean he did not worked on the movie.

Yes nothing is official on internet news articles but everybody knows that. But not everybody knows that IMDB is not sanctionned by any studios or movie association.
A lot of people think it's an official organization.

As for Giger it's simple, from the horses mouths themselves, Scott and Giger. Giger in an interview said he's working on it and Scott also said recently that Giger is working on a major scene/ concept for the movie.

You are abolutely correct about the credits Giger had in the latter films of the saga (he did some new art for Alien 3 tho). But this time he did do some new art, expending the derelict ship for exemple, but also old designs were used (the Harkkonen head from the dead jODOROWSKY DUNE).
But the new creatures are definitly a mash up of different artists.
Their godfather being Giger.

Off course you have the right to believe anything you like and wait for official statements.

Me i just share my 2 cents about what i know from people working on the projects and with Scott for years with my fellows alien afficionados.

If Giger is not officialy endorsed it only because of ego troubles like i said before.
And no it's not a direct prequel to ALIEN. It's a side story.
It'a story that takes place in the same universe but with wider scope and e few nods to the original films that only the fans will recognize.
The derelict ship on LV426 is just a part of the space jockey civilization History, not THE major event. PROMETHEUS is the story of a space crew who encounter the space Jockeys and new creatures. Damon lindelof said POMETHEUS is new from A to Z, and Z is not the derelict ship on LV426.
And from the recent details spilled by Lindelof and Scott athe the SDCC panel and press conference there might some Time Travel involved.

Scott said that he is shooting the beginning of the movie in Iceland, he also said that the begining of the movie takes place at the beggining of time BUT Noomi Rapace is in those scenes!!! Damon Lindelof teased her about running, hidding, climbing rocks, Noomi said also that she was in a spaceship since march and she just landed and it felt weird to be in these open spaces. It's also clear from the pictures leaked on twitter (of landing gear and space jockey ship parts) that the Prometheus ship has crashed (the landing gear we saw is the same as the one on the official pic released).
So it seems to me that the only way to explain this it's either Time Travel or the Begining of Time in a whole different planet that is not Earth.

Last edited:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LeIce4lc8s"]‪Ridley Scott talks about "Prometheus" @ Comic Con from Iceland‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]
At the end of the video he talks about working with the PG-13 directive, and much he loves 3D. If this does become a PG-13, then ____ this movie.

I thought the whole reason Promethius came about was because Fox execs were forcing the PG-13 rating and a limited budget on his prequel. He wanted horror and gore and they wanted a movie like AVP, to get the teen crowd. He said no and then proposed an entirely new sci-fi movie to get around all that and make it the way he wanted.

Strange.

I agree, Jamesways, very strange. I thought his answer was pretty funny though. Saying that in the end, he and Tom Rothman will have to be happy with the end product. So, by that rationale, Rothman was happy with AvP:R... :lol

Sounds like a well rehearsed (and bogus) answer!

Back