Official 12" Hot Toys Superman returns Image Thread!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In terms of likeness I would have to say I see more Routh in the one that came with the Clark Kent figure (which is the one I'm using on my Superman right now.) But in terms of which one is a better sculpt I have to go with the 2-in-1 Superman head. Again it is leaps and bounds over the others.

EDIT: this isn't mine you guys. I wish, but I just took these from Darren's page to show ya'll

since we have this debate of which one looks more like Routh, here's a repaint of the 2-in-1 head by my good friend Darren Carnall
i think it goes to show that with a great repaint, the 2-in-1 definitely has the better likeness

SRRepaint2.jpg

SRRepaint4.jpg

SRRepaint3.jpg

SRRepaint1.jpg

Last edited:
Dammit, clicked on this thinking HT finally released the description. I should really read the entire titles

Gipetto since you put it like that I have to agree with you. How did you get Darren to paint it for you. I've sent him tins of PMs but never get a response. I want him to do my Ras head and now my 2-in-1.

Yeah, I've done it a bunch of times this week. Especially when you see that smiley in front of the thread name when this is at the top of the DC Comic section going down the collectible lists.

Gipetto since you put it like that I have to agree with you. How did you get Darren to paint it for you. I've sent him tins of PMs but never get a response. I want him to do my Ras head and now my 2-in-1.

oh that's not mine. I wish! i don't even own a 2-in-1! i missed out as at the time, I was too young to reasonably explain and justify buying a $150+ figure :(

but as I am friends with him, I do know that he's practically booked for almost 2 years of work i think, maybe more like a year and a half, but that may be why he hasn't responded to you

since we have this debate of which one looks more like Routh, here's a repaint of the 2-in-1 head by my good friend Darren Carnall
i think it goes to show that with a great repaint, the 2-in-1 definitely has the better likeness

SRRepaint2.jpg

SRRepaint4.jpg

SRRepaint3.jpg

SRRepaint1.jpg

That is Amazing! Makes the Figure look even More Impressive!! Do you have any full figure picture shots?

That is Amazing! Makes the Figure look even More Impressive!! Do you have any full figure picture shots?

it's not mine bud. I wish I just had the figure itself :( but i missed out on these as I was too young at the time to even dream of collecting HT figures...well not too young, but naive and thought that $150+ was too much for a figure

Hey out of curiosity has anyone tried any mods for this figure? Besides the head repainting and beefing up? I kind of want to try to replace the cape.

Why would you want to replace the cape? The cape is actually really nice. Its two toned and the colors are nice and it drapes well. I can understand Batman as the velvet cape is a huge improvement to the thick cape that HT provided.

The reason nobody really mods this is HT improved what was already a well tailored V1 costume. They made the underwear look more like shorts and I love the colors of the costume. Its very high contrast so it pops out. Really stands out when standing next to most figures. Specially if you place him next to Batman, as in World's Finest. Batman is all black and Superman very colorful. The only thing I can think of modding is the face but even that, I wouldnt do as I'm pretty happy with the paintjob. Its one of the best HT paintjob in my opinion.

I can understand replacing the body as it was a _____ trying to pose it cause of the older body style but its more just a case of futzing, to get a good pose.

I was very surprised when I first bought this as I thought compared to Batman who has a complex rubber suit, mask, belt...supes would look cheap but it doesnt. Well worth it.

69dz08.jpg

27zi6p3.jpg

n15u2c.jpg

To be honest the only thing I think that could do with modding is the shoulders of the body, they look too jarring and unnatural, need to be sanded down a bit to a more natural looking profile

I can't seem to get the cape the drape the way I want it to. I tried messing with it but I can't get the right drapery.

To be honest the only thing I think that could do with modding is the shoulders of the body, they look too jarring and unnatural, need to be sanded down a bit to a more natural looking profile

rather than sanding, stuff either foam or cotton to beef him up more and to give him a more natural slant.

areas to stuff are traps, shoulders, chest. boom, you got yourself a more natural supes.

like so:

R1013820.jpg

Back