1/6 NEXT Hot Toys STAR WARS Figure...?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
212th comes with the ROTS anniversary but I'd rather they do what they did with Ahsoka and the 501st/332nd, and have the 212th come with General Kenobi on the same day.

A man can dream.

At this point, I'm beginning to think there's some kind of trouble with Ewan's likeness rights.

ROTS Kenobi was delayed and the production sculpt was confirmed to have been altered by JC Hong due to licensor intervention. The next time we saw a Kenobi figure, it was from the Kenobi show and it looks more like Chuck Norris than Ewan McGregor.

CW Anakin came out with no issue, but there's no sign of CW Kenobi. And now it looks like the AOTC lineup won't feature mullet Kenobi, while featuring every other big player from that film.

If, and that's a big if, the problem is with Ewan (much as we speculate there is a problem with Harrison Ford), that CW Kenobi probably doesn't come to pass.

If there is a problem with Ewan’s likeness then HT are #%^*!? because they have a figure that has been announced and presold with “likeness of Ewan MacGregor pending approval”. They either release a figure that looks like Chuck Norris and face huge backlash or cancel the figure and face huge backlash.

You'd think likeness rights would be a generic agreement when signing for a movie/TV show for all merchandise.
The Hasbro lines of 4"& 6" have new Han and Obi Wan figures, are actors really going to be bothered about 1/6th scale figures of them?

You'd think likeness rights would be a generic agreement when signing for a movie/TV show for all merchandise.
The Hasbro lines of 4"& 6" have new Han and Obi Wan figures, are actors really going to be bothered about 1/6th scale figures of them?
I think it really depends on the actor, especially if they are powerful. ScarJo is one of the most powerful actors in the world and HT have done a ton of sculpts mostly of good to great quality. Tom Cruise? Nada. Ford? We all seem to think it’s a mess. Downey Jr. Problems early on, but mostly got ironed out. I think likeness rights are being sorted more out front now than they used to, but some actors seem to be very stubborn about it.

1/6 and high quality statues are in their own category because the likeness is generally very strong. I don’t think any actor would want their likeness on an otherwise inferior product so this is probably one of the reasons they take so long because there is a back and forth between the parties to agree on every little detail.

Yeah it's entirely speculation but the sequence of events with these Kenobi figures is very strange. Even Ford, when those figures were made they were still done really effectively. I think one of the other really strange moments is the fact that the whole ROTS debacle was CONFIRMED by JC Hong. Again, comparing to Ford, there was never any sort of confirmation of what the situation is there or why we haven't seen another figure of Han for years. It's strange that this was outwardly confirmed. The no AOTC Kenobi, no CW Kenobi...it just all adds up to something being vastly different with McGregor compared to many others. Although the Andrew Garfield situation is ALSO very different to anything we've seen before.

I definitely agree though- it matters far more when it's an undoubted A-Lister like those names you've listed above. Considering the success of Top Gun Maverick I thought maybe Hot Toys would try to go get the license for that but obviously that didn't come to fruition, if they even cared.

Tom Cruise doesn't allow any merchandise.
Screenshot_20221211_090426_Chrome.jpg

A Maverick Pilot costume is probably the only “grail” item I can think of. Maybe a LaRusso/Lawrence 2-pack too. But those are the only three I can think of:lol

At this point, we still need 3 Kenobis: TPM, AOTC, and CW. I'm becoming fearful that it won't happen.

Also, I really want that Kit Fisto! I'm hoping that by ROTS 20th anniversary, they have Palpatine, Sidious, Kit Fisto, Saese Tinn, and Agen Kolar to recreate the arrest scene.

At this point, we still need 3 Kenobis: TPM, AOTC, and CW. I'm becoming fearful that it won't happen.

Also, I really want that Kit Fisto! I'm hoping that by ROTS 20th anniversary, they have Palpatine, Sidious, Kit Fisto, Saese Tinn, and Agen Kolar to recreate the arrest scene.
I still have a bit of faith where some of the Kenobi figures are concerned.....I keep thinking about the Krennic figure and how late it came out, but I know what you mean.

It would be awesome if they came out with all those figures you listed. I would be happy with Palpatine alone. Fingers crossed mate.

I think Kenobi will happen sooner or later, that is a character you can release at anytime and collectors will pick him up.

I also think we'll get Sideous one of these days, but man I don't see Tinn or Agen Kolar ever lol. Maybe Fisto but Plo and Mundi should come first in our supporting alien PT Jedi group.

I think Kenobi will happen sooner or later, that is a character you can release at anytime and collectors will pick him up.

I also think we'll get Sideous one of these days, but man I don't see Tinn or Agen Kolar ever lol. Maybe Fisto but Plo and Mundi should come first in our supporting alien PT Jedi group.
Agen Kolar would just be hysterical if released... The "but what about my Bespin Han" crowd would explode! :)

Back