New Partnership With Estudio Proteus

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would propose that Salvador keep a list of "Approved Painters" (of which I'm sure Seb would be on, along with Nathan Eakins, Josh Small, Ski, etc.) that most will be sending their casts to. If someone only paints for their personal collection, perhaps they can submit credible proof of their paintwork, and an exception can be made?

There really only seems like two options. 1, don't sell unpainted casts or 2, accept the fact that they're likely going to get recast if you do. With the quality of Trevor's work, I'd say the probability of recasts, even on painted sculpts, is pretty high.

Thanks again for the input folks! There is a happy solution here...we just had some bad ideas going into it all.

It is true, you can't stop recasters...paint won't stop them. :) Hopefully we will just be able to be a reliable source for the castings folks want.

Guys, lets nurture Trev's endevour with care... because instead of opening up the possibilites of FINALLY getting his old and NEW(!) sculpts we are pushing him away again. What he wants to do is avoid hassles.

Guys, lets nurture Trev's endevour with care... because instead of opening up the possibilites of FINALLY getting his old and NEW(!) sculpts we are pushing him away again. What he wants to do is avoid hassles.

You make him sound like a frightened squirrel we're trying to coax out of a tree. He's a grown man, I'm sure he can handle a little civil discourse.

You make him sound like a frightened squirrel we're trying to coax out of a tree. He's a grown man, I'm sure he can handle a little civil discourse.

Given that he's been away from the boards for almost 2 years for the very reason of avoiding politics I would hope others dont make the same mistake you are making...

He's a very BUSY guy and lord knows he DOESNT need the aggravation. He's stated himself he's not looking to profit. He's got a fulltime gig with Sideshow AND does side work for others like Mezco. So what incentive does he have for offering work if he's met with a wall of dissension?

And further more, you call THIS BOARD a place of civil discourse?! Pfffft. What board have you been posting in for 9,403 posts?! Certainly not this one.

Given that he's been away from the boards for almost 2 years for the very reason of avoiding politics I would hope others dont make the same mistake you are making...

He's a very BUSY guy and lord knows he DOESNT need the aggravation. He's stated himself he's not looking to profit. He's got a fulltime gig with Sideshow AND does side work for others like Mezco. So what incentive does he have for offering work if he's met with a wall of dissension?

And further more, you call THIS BOARD a place of civil discourse?! Pfffft. What board have you been posting in for 9,403 posts?! Certainly not this one.

This...this...one thousand times, this. :lecture

No one's a bigger Grove fan than me. But it's easy to make that argument when you get all your sculpts painted by someone else anyway (and no offense to you guys that do that--I would love to have Silent Surfer, Skiman, or someone else paint every sculpt I own). Of course, Trevor can still decide to do whatever he pleases. However, as he posted, he may not have thought through some of the issues we are bringing up here. We're just giving him some more information as to the kinds of buyers that are out there, and some other considerations regarding recasting. He can take it or leave it, but, unlike a lot of what goes on on this forum, this is all meant to be constructive input (so far). If we don't say it, he may not recognize it, so this is just facilitating his ability to make the best decision. I can't imagine it would take so much time to read through and digest some of these comments that he would be put off to the whole endeavor.

Actually it's only been about 1 year, not 2. I bought from him in April last year.

It's Trevors Partner charging over $100 for painted only sculpts that's the issue and Trevor has acknowledged that and will discuss it with him.

Glad to here there's some discussion regarding options. Like some others I'm doing my own painting so I hope I can be on the safe list. But regardless of how it works out I'm just glad Trev's work will be available again.

He does do some good sculpts. I would look more forward to buying if I don't have to pay an arm and a leg. Just look at Spenser's thread. You can buy painted sculpts, which are very good, in the $60 range. That's about where I would like to stay if at all possible since you're not in this to make money. That would definitely put a dent in the recasting market the guy has on eBay because it would be the real deal and a better value. Win-win for sure. Just food for thought.

well,i see some controversy here....let me explain.
I'm also collector,and i love Trevor work,so i tried to convince him to sell again his old heads and that way,getting work for my studio,he does nothing(aprat of his excellent art because he doesn't have the time for it),i do molds casts painting and handling and sending.
I'm behind this bussiness,but i was open to send the heads to other painters,maybe we can't stop recasting for sure,but at least,Trevor will get some money for it,same as i'll try painting these heads.
Is pretty surprising to see how some indigned members ask me for just casts because they want to paint his own stuff, specially when some of them ordered heads to me that never paid,because trying to be a nice guy,i didn't asked them for and advanced payment...so,i guess that trying not ofense any,i'll be selling these heads just in Ebay.
Just keep in mind,other painters are offering services around 150-200usd just for the painting,and we're offering painted heads including the cast for 200usd.If you want just the cast,apart to be exposed to recasting more easily,paying the trevor part (even when he wants to lowering is percent)and casting cleaning etc, the casts etc,we can't be under 80 usd...
It's not a matter of greed,is just a matter to pay to everyone what deserves...you're free to understand this as you want...but i'm just trying to explain the reasons.
I encorage me to do that way because i think we can offer a prefessional level,but this is what it is...
so that way,is not a bussiness neither for Trevor or me.

Honestly I think that the best way to fight recasters is to just go back to the old system. $35 plus shipping for an unpainted headsculpt.

Cheaper than the recasters charge and straight from the source.

More than doubling the cost of an unpainted sculpt and forcing you to immediately choose a pre-approved painter only gives incentives to turn to recasters.

Im sure that everyone here means well, but this plan sounds like a disaster.

And Trevor was even cheaper than them.

There was literally no benefit at all to using recasters before. Now there are two pretty good ones.

Well then, it begs the question. Keep in mind that I don't mean this at all as an insult but rather am just asking; is your company truely the best ones to take on this project if you have an entire studio that you need to pay for?

Especially when it has been proven for years that these sculpts can be sold legitimatly for roughly 43% of the minimum that you're going to charge for them?

Back