New 12" Star Trek by Playmates (pic inside)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yeaa !! I got it and its pretty detail for a toy.
nice model and I love the stand.

I also got one and I was quite disappointed with it. There's not much that's good, I wish Art Asylum made it instead. Though it's one of the better toys to come from the new movie. The best thing on the toy shelves now is the Hot Wheels Enterprise D and Klingon Bird Of Prey.

Just a quick FYI
The pants do come off the 12" Star Trek figures and are not glued in. If you twist the boots while pulling on them, they will come off easily. The pants just have a smaller hole for the leg so they will not ride up.
I attached a picture to show how the figure looks disassembled (yes, the uniforms are currently on 2 Timeless GI Joes)
3561219942_7d4c8a878a_b.jpg

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I'd missed this pic the first time around...
So is it possible to use the original boots on different bodies? Say... Hot Toys True Type?
I just watched Star Trek again and the bug bit me again to customize Playmates' figures with Spenser's sculpts.

Thanks for any info!

I've been converting these figures to true type bodies so I think I can help.

Once you get beneath the hollow part at the top of the boot where the playmate's leg peg fits into it, the boot is solid. However if you dremel it out carefully you can get it to fit to a truetype leg quite easily. You won't need the hot toys foot or foot-peg. Just stick the leg right into the boot and if you've drilled out enough of the inside the boot will come to the correct height and will have enough room to tuck the pants in. You shouldn't need to glue anything as the fit should be tight enough to hold everything in place through tension.

Here is Kirk. He definitely has the worst head-sculpt -- both in size and shape -- of all the ones that have been released so far, but I think with a repaint he isn't too horribly hideous.

capt_kirk_true_type_450_x_600_.jpg

Aside from the body (and arguably the head sculpts), everything from the original figure is usable. I've done Kirk and Spock so far and I'm working on McCoy right now.

Here's a picture of one of McCoy's undrilled boots next to Kirk's drilled boot. I tried to angle it so you can get a sense of the amount of material taken out. You do need to be careful not to be too aggressive with the dremel so that you go through the side of the boot, but it is actually pretty easy to feel and eyeball what you need to take out and what you need to leave.

st_boots_before_after_600_x_450_.jpg

Thanks a lot for the pics!
Unfortunately, I do feel the uniforms are a bit ill-fitting, I wonder if I could fix that with a little creative stitching.

Back