MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
By courier, I mean whoever makes the final delivery in the UK will be the one extracting the 20% tax on the item and shipping cost. For doing that they also charge an administration fee of $13 or so.

It all adds up, and at present the figure doesn't look like it's worth that much. It could be bad photos but the sculpt paint doesn't look great, and the jacket is iffy. Someone on Kit's FB went as far as writing, "Looks like a Barbie with a hs from Sean Dabbs
😂
" (!)

Ah right - the 20% was VAT (I remember the "old days" back in the UK :) )

No idea what "Kit's FB" or "Sean Dabbs" is/are, or what that remark means, but it seems like a typical "mean girl" comment from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

In for the exclusive if I can get it, but dang paying full at time of order is a little crap considering it won't ship until summer 2024...

I'm guessing the exclusive stuff is the Spider and dog monster. Sideshow carries other mondo stuff so maybe they'll get the regular.

I'd forgotten Sideshow stocked Mondo 1/6. The last time I looked for a Mondo there it was the Creature From the Black Lagoon, but they couldn't sell them outside the US.

That must've been due to licensing as I checked a random Mondo just now and it was permitted.

However, it'd likely mean missing out on the spider-head and dog.

Ah right - the 20% was VAT (I remember the "old days" back in the UK :) )

No idea what "Kit's FB" or "Sean Dabbs" is/are, or what that remark means, but it seems like a typical "mean girl" comment from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about.

That's OneSixthKit's Facebook page.

Sean Dabbs is a sculptor.

The remark was extreme, as was this earlier one by another member: "only this jacket is still garbage... he was way better on the first prototype".

It's nowhere near garbage, it just doesn't look like it fits perfectly.

I've got a few nit picks, biggest of which being it looks like they've gotten rid of the blue hoodie, maybe they've done that so the jacket is less puffy? But overall i don't care because I've wanted this guy in my collection for a good while now and for the most part it looks really good :D

I've got a few nit picks, biggest of which being it looks like they've gotten rid of the blue hoodie, maybe they've done that so the jacket is less puffy? But overall i don't care because I've wanted this guy in my collection for a good while now and for the most part it looks really good :D
Spider man homecoming Hoodie, your time has come! :lol
Hot-Toys-Homecoming-Spider-Man-Deluxe-Figure-Wearing-Hoodie-and-Blazer.jpg

Going to be expensive if it's only going to be available direct from Mondo.

$265 + shipping + VAT + fees. :confused:

They also don't appear to take deposits, but either full amount or an interest free credit monthly payment option.

Wait, what? You have to pay in full up front? Will other place be getting this?

I feel like they really wanted to do the two Thing creatures, and MacReady was an afterthought.

The headsculpts look nice but the clothing looks dated, also that pleather jacket will probably end up flaking in the future. Where's the blue hoodie underneath the jacket?

There is a lack of hands and the gloved hands can't hold anything. The base screams third party, why not create a small snow diorama base?

I know people don't want to hear critiques of something they are going to buy when there is a lack of options, I just wished they would've put more effort into an important character.

Wait, what? You have to pay in full up front?

There appears to be an interest free monthly payment plan.

Will other place be getting this?

Sideshow possibly, but likely only the regular.

I feel like they really wanted to do the two Thing creatures, and MacReady was an afterthought.

The headsculpts look nice but the clothing looks dated, also that pleather jacket will probably end up flaking in the future. Where's the blue hoodie underneath the jacket?

There is a lack of hands and the gloved hands can't hold anything. The base screams third party, why not create a small snow diorama base?

I know people don't want to hear critiques of something they are going to buy when there is a lack of options, I just wished they would've put more effort into an important character.

For me it's probably going to be around $400 to get him from Mondo. While money isn't an issue financially, mentally it's hard to justify $400 for what's been shown, considering that production may be a downgrade.

It looks decent I think the sculpts have a good likeness to Kurt but the paint is a letdown, the jacket looks like it might be real leather but the absence of the blue hoodie and hat are bummer.
The things look cool but the base is bad I imagine it would be easy to replace that tho, if you have Hot Toys Snowspeeder Luke he has a snow base that could be used on this.
Sadly since Kit won't have this I can't see myself picking it up, the VAT and import fees would be too high for me to justify the purchase.

Yeah I know it's definitely a little rough around the edges, but like was said already, there aren't a lot of options out there for the character.

It's a hard to pill to swallow at this price point, but I'm more than to happy to even have access to a good starting point to start improving, kitbashing etc. Be it with custom parts people will make later or just simply sourcing some stuff like the spider man homecoming hoodie I called out above.

This is a real letdown, definitely no reason for me to get it now, I'm not getting an exclusive version from US store to end up paying double when it arrives. Hopefully Neca keeps expanding on the Thing line.
1698695101280.png

This is a real letdown, definitely no reason for me to get it now, I'm not getting an exclusive version from US store to end up paying double when it arrives. Hopefully Neca keeps expanding on the Thing line.
View attachment 671749

Feel for you international guys. This hobby is expensive enough as is....

I really wish they would have done the spider head one as an inclusion with the regular version and just made the dog exclusive. Then I'd probably just grab the regular.

Feel for you international guys. This hobby is expensive enough as is....

I really wish they would have done the spider head one as an inclusion with the regular version and just made the dog exclusive. Then I'd probably just grab the regular.
Fortunately retailers like Kit use the IOSS system to make life easier for us so we don't have to get molested with all kind of fees but stuff like this is definitely a no no, the import laws changed back in 2021 so declaring low values on things won't even help anymore.

Yeah I know it's definitely a little rough around the edges, but like was said already, there aren't a lot of options out there for the character.

It's a hard to pill to swallow at this price point, but I'm more than to happy to even have access to a good starting point to start improving, kitbashing etc. Be it with custom parts people will make later or just simply sourcing some stuff like the spider man homecoming hoodie I called out above.

Yeah, this is basically where I’m at. It’s not as much of a home run as I wish it was, but he’s one of those characters that I knew I needed in my collection as soon as I started in the hobby, and never had access to an ‘affordable’ option. It comes with enough cool stuff that I don’t think I would feel too slighted if this does suddenly prompt a 3rd party attempt. Presuming another company covered his alternate look or offered different/better clothing or accessory options, I wouldn’t be too upset mixing and matching a pair of MacReady’s.

Wait, what? You have to pay in full up front? Will other place be getting this?

Yeah Mondo is pay in full up front. The regular version will be available all over like BBTS, Entertainment Earth etc. since they have been carrying Mondo's other 1/6 stuff.

They do this for basically all of their releases. An exclusive version they sell direct for a time and they take as many orders as they can and then cut it off. At least it's 10 days though. Some of their He-Man figures only had 24 or 48 hour window for the exclusive.

Yeah Mondo is pay in full up front. The regular version will be available all over like BBTS, Entertainment Earth etc. since they have been carrying Mondo's other 1/6 stuff.

They do this for basically all of their releases. An exclusive version they sell direct for a time and they take as many orders as they can and then cut it off. At least it's 10 days though. Some of their He-Man figures only had 24 or 48 hour window for the exclusive.

Oh so it's a full release window? I was picturing a limited edition queuing **** show as is tradition now. That'd be great news if it's going to be available for a bit.

EDIT: Oh wow you're right. Found their blog post. Also interesting is it says payment plan will be available? So maybe not full pay upfront?
Screenshot_20231030_141426.jpg

Last edited:
Back