MONDO - THE THING

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mondo Creative Director Hector and Senior Art Director Peter will be live streaming on SixScaleMafia's You Tube channel at 4pm PST to discuss the MAcready figure and other Mondo related 1/6 products.

I can't get over that 1/12 looking jacket! Not even accurate (look at the cuffs?!) like a Hasbro toy jacket. Boots are easy to replace.
Taking the stance that critism is so easy I like what I see, the sculpt is spot on, however the mid blue hoodie should have been included and the jacket needs to be leather. With further expense these can be sorted. I realise it is difficult to decide what accessories to include to keep the price point in a certain range. The Thing is I have no interest in the creatures, I may be the only one. My favourite scene is the blood test just before the copper wire makes contact with the Palmer petri dish blood sample. Today of all days remember man is still the warmest place to hide.

Attachments

• 20230718_114805.jpg
    20230718_114805.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230718_124213.jpg
    20230718_124213.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230626_183030.jpg
    20230626_183030.jpg
  • 20220911_222214.jpg
    20220911_222214.jpg
  • 20220819_115537.jpg
    20220819_115537.jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 0
Taking the stance that critism is so easy I like what I see, the sculpt is spot on, however the mid blue hoodie should have been included and the jacket needs to be leather. With further expense these can be sorted. I realise it is difficult to decide what accessories to include to keep the price point in a certain range. The Thing is I have no interest in the creatures, I may be the only one. My favourite scene is the blood test just before the copper wire makes contact with the Palmer petri dish blood sample. Today of all days remember man is still the warmest place to hide.

My favorite scene as well. I think the NECA figure did a great job and does justice to the character.

This is my favorite movie and I am still struggling with this figure at this price point.

Yes I agree, taking all into account Neca did well with the 7 inch figures. Mondo, not certain yet, the shipping fees and import taxes are a game changer for many. I would be happy just to acquire the head sculpt.

One of the first lessons of high end collecting I learned was not to pay up front if you can avoid it. I got burned a couple of times, even by a seemingly reputable company that went belly up and then shrugged their shoulders when customers came asking for refunds. This happened with Big Chief Studios recently.

Mondo seems like a reasonably successful company, but. . .who really knows, and when you may be waiting a year or more, you won't have any protection from your credit card company if they end up not delivering.

I don't like this situation. Would like to have this guy, and I don't think I would get the regular without the monsters, but this is giving me pause. Plus, as others have mentioned, it frankly doesn't look like the price matches the product from what I'm seeing. Even SSC would do something of a higher quality than this with their prototype. If it were < $200 it would seem more reasonable, but given that they charge over $50 for posters (many $80!) I guess this is no surprise. You pay Hot Toys prices for a Mezco like product.

Such a miss on that Mondo jacket. It's completely inaccurate. Headsculpts look really good though.
Looks like they removed the blue hoodie from the original prototype (and hoped no-one would notice) simply to make the cheap jacket look less puffy.....

I won't even mention the boots...LOL

Would love to get this figure as a lifelong Carpenter fan, but I'm having a hard time justifying the Hot Toys price for a figure built from a random assortment of inconsistent quality parts.

One of the first lessons of high end collecting I learned was not to pay up front if you can avoid it. I got burned a couple of times, even by a seemingly reputable company that went belly up and then shrugged their shoulders when customers came asking for refunds. This happened with Big Chief Studios recently.

Mondo seems like a reasonably successful company, but. . .who really knows, and when you may be waiting a year or more, you won't have any protection from your credit card company if they end up not delivering.

I don't like this situation. Would like to have this guy, and I don't think I would get the regular without the monsters, but this is giving me pause. Plus, as others have mentioned, it frankly doesn't look like the price matches the product from what I'm seeing. Even SSC would do something of a higher quality than this with their prototype. If it were < $200 it would seem more reasonable, but given that they charge over $50 for posters (many $80!) I guess this is no surprise. You pay Hot Toys prices for a Mezco like product.
With Mondo being bought out by Funko, I don't think they're suddenly going to go belly-up before this comes out. As far as the product itself? I wouldn't expect ultra realism from Mondo - they make slightly stylized "fun" collectibles, so it's directly in line with what I'd expect. (Thankfully, because I'm all in. :) )

Just taken a look at Neca's MacReady version 3 Last Stand, great size for a diorama, may attempt to make the lantern operate too.

Last edited:
This might have to be a pass for me - which really stings. Like most people here, this is a top film for me and Carpenters best. But the price, this whole paying up front crap, the really rough looking coat, and not loving at least one of those sculpts is a lot to get over. And if you're gonna do it there's no reason to not go with the exclusive. Such a bummer.

This might have to be a pass for me - which really stings. Like most people here, this is a top film for me and Carpenters best. But the price, this whole paying up front crap, the really rough looking coat, and not loving at least one of those sculpts is a lot to get over. And if you're gonna do it there's no reason to not go with the exclusive. Such a bummer.
This is where I sit too my friend.

I wouldn't expect ultra realism from Mondo - they make slightly stylized "fun" collectibles, so it's directly in line with what I'd expect.
I'm looking at their collectibles on their website. I knew they did the 12" Batman and X-Men figures, but definitely see what you are talking about. The price point is even less surprising seeing them sell a straight up plastic figure like this for $300:

https://mondoshop.com/collections/c...yer-scale-action-figure-mondo-crimson-variant
From the perspective of a company that does things like this, Barbie clothes is probably considered appropriate.

Back