Medicom Kaneda and bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sheep leather was exactly what she used.
I thought about sanding the under side of the leather, but that may make it even more fragile than the original from medicom and get uneven thickness all over... also, there is the line with which you sew... have to be a much thinner one. We'll see if we can improve the model with what we got here and maybe she'll even put some on ebay. I'll let you guys know if that happens.
The one from facebook seams to be a paper thin synthetic imitation of leather. It's hard to understand how some parts could have been done, as there is fabric over fabric without adding much thickness.

how much fabric is there in the jacket? i can't really see the details from the photos. but if there are fabrics, you may just want to use them on the collar area where it is actually exposed, the rest could skimp on the fabrics and will make it less bulky.

for thinning the leather, i think it's been done before. you just need a sanding block to get it more even. The top layer is relatively strong.

No Akira but...

MAKIRA-Combat-Model-TTF-EXCLUSIVE-by-Bid-Toys.jpg

512202014039PM_2792633.png

:lol

https://www.thetoychronicle.com/new...akira-combat-model-ttf-exclusive-by-bid-toys/

Is that gonna be licensed or just a bootleg?

I don't mean to sound like a snob or anything, but I just don't think non-Japanese toy companies ever do a good job with anime properties. I've never seen any good ones, anyway.

Oh wait.....found the pic and just answered my own question:

129484932_2125623914236494_6433693796948407048_o.jpg

The "furture" motorcycle? That's unlicensed. Meaning it won't have real stickers either, cause companies like Canon and Citizen tend to actually sue for misuse of their logos.

Is that gonna be licensed or just a bootleg?

I don't mean to sound like a snob or anything, but I just don't think non-Japanese toy companies ever do a good job with anime properties. I've never seen any good ones, anyway.

Oh wait.....found the pic and just answered my own question:

View attachment 500881

The "furture" motorcycle? That's unlicensed. Meaning it won't have real stickers either, cause companies like Canon and Citizen tend to actually sue for misuse of their logos.

ace toys never produce licensed figure, but i suspect they are linked to one of those that does. maybe star ace lol? damtoys also has an unlicensed counterpart.

anyway, i disagree with the anime part. Hot Toys did well with the Appleseed (OK it's 3D), Resident Evil and Golgo 13. However there just aren't many figure makers outside Asia. Neca can do good 2D based figures just they do not have license for Japanese stuffs. McFarlane's Anime series was OK. lots of China 3rd parties doing anime statues, figures, like Slam Dunk, Dragonball etc. IMO the promotion photos look great, but too pricey for their statues. Eventually they will make an Akira since they even covered princess momoko.

Mcfarlane's anime figures sucked. They were the very epitome of why American artists shouldn't attempt to sculpt 3D representations of an art style they just don't understand.

715WJwRGNTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

vs
Cowboy-Bebop-BST-AXN-Action-Figure-Vicious-13-cm-The-Loyal-Subjects-1.jpg

ace toys never produce licensed figure, but i suspect they are linked to one of those that does. maybe star ace lol? damtoys also has an unlicensed counterpart.

anyway, i disagree with the anime part. Hot Toys did well with the Appleseed (OK it's 3D), Resident Evil and Golgo 13. However there just aren't many figure makers outside Asia. Neca can do good 2D based figures just they do not have license for Japanese stuffs. McFarlane's Anime series was OK. lots of China 3rd parties doing anime statues, figures, like Slam Dunk, Dragonball etc. IMO the promotion photos look great, but too pricey for their statues. Eventually they will make an Akira since they even covered princess momoko.

Pretty sure Star Ace and Ace Toyz are not the same or linked. Ace Toyz usually did good work on their production, Star Ace... well you know. Their style is different too. Vts and Damtoys have the same style to it, and they are both good.

Yeah, that was a wonderful and intricate breakdown of probably the best scene in the movie....highly recommended for junkies like me!

Anyone have a chance outside Japan to see this on the big screen again? Oh...sorry, probably a dumb question cause of all the lockdowns.

Anyway, if you ever get the chance DO IT! And go more than once...there's just so much to see!!

I also see that the 4K disc I bought for $100 here in Japan is going on sale overseas for like $30.....if you or a friend has a 4K set up, that's an essential purchase!

Expect to pay around $250 to 300 for Kaneda and $500 to 600 for the bike when preorders hit the US. I'm assuming BBTS's price for Kaneda is on the higher end of price range.

It's funny, I was just giving my set a cleaning today and Kaneda's outfit it looking really sorry. Lots of cracks and seams and parts are even starting to deteriorate completely. I was kinda bummed, but just thought...hey...this thing's been on display for ten years...it's life.

Then I saw the listing on amazon and got my preorder in IMMEDIATELY. I want a nice new Kaneda with fresh bright red clothes without cracks in them!! Expensive? Sure. But I got the original brand new for $100 and he served me well, so he did his time and can retire to the box.

Now thank god my bike is in good shape. Still nice a red....no scuffs...all electronics work. Other than the slight "greying" of the tires I'd be goddamn sorely tempted to pick up another. But considering the retail in Japan is 60,000 yen......that's a tough pill to swallow, pun intended. Not only that....ten years ago you didn't have the Chinese/Hong Kong bots buying these up in seconds. I don't see how anyone's gonna get their hands on one without paying through the nose. Remember the SOC G0Lion reissue fiasco.

Thankfully, I'm content with my bike. But an upgrade for Kaneda came as just the right time. Sadly, this is Medicom, so it'll be the same lousy, cheap, and fragile materials that will degrade over time again...but at least for a year or two it's gonna look nicer.

Now....where are the 1/12 scale options, damn it???

It's funny, I was just giving my set a cleaning today and Kaneda's outfit it looking really sorry. Lots of cracks and seams and parts are even starting to deteriorate completely. I was kinda bummed, but just thought...hey...this thing's been on display for ten years...it's life.

Then I saw the listing on amazon and got my preorder in IMMEDIATELY. I want a nice new Kaneda with fresh bright red clothes without cracks in them!! Expensive? Sure. But I got the original brand new for $100 and he served me well, so he did his time and can retire to the box.

Now thank god my bike is in good shape. Still nice a red....no scuffs...all electronics work. Other than the slight "greying" of the tires I'd be goddamn sorely tempted to pick up another. But considering the retail in Japan is 60,000 yen......that's a tough pill to swallow, pun intended. Not only that....ten years ago you didn't have the Chinese/Hong Kong bots buying these up in seconds. I don't see how anyone's gonna get their hands on one without paying through the nose. Remember the SOC G0Lion reissue fiasco.

Thankfully, I'm content with my bike. But an upgrade for Kaneda came as just the right time. Sadly, this is Medicom, so it'll be the same lousy, cheap, and fragile materials that will degrade over time again...but at least for a year or two it's gonna look nicer.

Now....where are the 1/12 scale options, damn it???

Where do you see it listed on Amazon? I see HLJ has it for $250.

Back