Medicom Kaneda and bike

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
About a year ago amazon was the best bet....but covid ruined everything. Now even third party sellers can't use EMS from the Japan Post office, so in other words: if you're outside Asia this is gonna cost some INSANE amounts to ship. The figure will be bad, but the bike will be astronomical. Assuming you can even get an order in for it, that is.

Sorry to be such a downer on xmas no less, but the high end Japanese collectibles market is in a very bad place compared to when this toy originally debuted a decade ago. And now all the advantages to go scumbag resellers that will charge HUNDREDS, maybe even double retail, just to ship that enormous box.

Expect to pay around $250 to 300 for Kaneda and $500 to 600 for the bike when preorders hit the US. I'm assuming BBTS's price for Kaneda is on the higher end of price range.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Kaneda Bike released for around $300? Now for $300 you only get Kaneda. So my guess is correct about how expensive the bike will be rereleased.

Anyway did they mention about the materials for the jacket, are they using the new pleather from Rider 1 or still the old one?

It's funny, I was just giving my set a cleaning today and Kaneda's outfit it looking really sorry. Lots of cracks and seams and parts are even starting to deteriorate completely. I was kinda bummed, but just thought...hey...this thing's been on display for ten years...it's life.

Then I saw the listing on amazon and got my preorder in IMMEDIATELY. I want a nice new Kaneda with fresh bright red clothes without cracks in them!! Expensive? Sure. But I got the original brand new for $100 and he served me well, so he did his time and can retire to the box.

Now thank god my bike is in good shape. Still nice a red....no scuffs...all electronics work. Other than the slight "greying" of the tires I'd be goddamn sorely tempted to pick up another. But considering the retail in Japan is 60,000 yen......that's a tough pill to swallow, pun intended. Not only that....ten years ago you didn't have the Chinese/Hong Kong bots buying these up in seconds. I don't see how anyone's gonna get their hands on one without paying through the nose. Remember the SOC G0Lion reissue fiasco.

Thankfully, I'm content with my bike. But an upgrade for Kaneda came as just the right time. Sadly, this is Medicom, so it'll be the same lousy, cheap, and fragile materials that will degrade over time again...but at least for a year or two it's gonna look nicer.

Now....where are the 1/12 scale options, damn it???

I don't know if they are setting bots to scalp these items seeing you need lots of money to do so but if folks can scalp PS5 i guess $600 is nothing.

Anyway you can use the old Kaneda and customize it to battle damage version. Or get a T-Shirt & Pants and make a civi version.

Also hope you left the batteries out of the bike when not using. don't wanna corrode the connectors.

About a year ago amazon was the best bet....but covid ruined everything. Now even third party sellers can't use EMS from the Japan Post office, so in other words: if you're outside Asia this is gonna cost some INSANE amounts to ship. The figure will be bad, but the bike will be astronomical. Assuming you can even get an order in for it, that is.

Sorry to be such a downer on xmas no less, but the high end Japanese collectibles market is in a very bad place compared to when this toy originally debuted a decade ago. And now all the advantages to go scumbag resellers that will charge HUNDREDS, maybe even double retail, just to ship that enormous box.

are the rerelease limited? if not those resellers could actually just order from distributors at bulk price which will be cheaper than retail. anway i'm waiting for my playmobil from Germany it's close to 2 months...

17698db8d8c4b3ba4.jpeg
Pre-order starts in January 8th Japan time. It's not a web exclusive, so you can buy from online shops and probably BBTS. It will sell out fast thou.

Kaneda was originally about 18,000 or so, so he'sgone up $100.

Bike was initially 39,900 so it's gone up 20,000.

My originally batteries are still holding up....I turn em on and off all the time to give them a little "charge" and all the lights and sounds works as well as the day I got the bike.

It would be in an interesting idea to customize the older Kaneda figure into where he's wearing the pants and boots and glove, but nothing but a yellow t-shirt. No idea where I'd get a t-shirt though.

Barring some kind of horrible QC, this is gonna make the original Kaneda more affordable cause we all know his outfit is rotting, even in a sealed box. I wonder what affect it will have on price on the bike though. I'd love another but there's no way in hell I could afford one. From the looks of things, the special cowling and stickers are NOT being reissued.

That'd be amazing to have one bike with "plain" cowling next to the other with the regular tampos.

I still really really want that Wonderfest 2000 Kaneda but I don't have 2 grand to drop on the rare occasions hes up for sale.

Kaneda was originally about 18,000 or so, so he'sgone up $100.

Bike was initially 39,900 so it's gone up 20,000.

My originally batteries are still holding up....I turn em on and off all the time to give them a little "charge" and all the lights and sounds works as well as the day I got the bike.

It would be in an interesting idea to customize the older Kaneda figure into where he's wearing the pants and boots and glove, but nothing but a yellow t-shirt. No idea where I'd get a t-shirt though.

Barring some kind of horrible QC, this is gonna make the original Kaneda more affordable cause we all know his outfit is rotting, even in a sealed box. I wonder what affect it will have on price on the bike though. I'd love another but there's no way in hell I could afford one. From the looks of things, the special cowling and stickers are NOT being reissued.

That'd be amazing to have one bike with "plain" cowling next to the other with the regular tampos.

I still really really want that Wonderfest 2000 Kaneda but I don't have 2 grand to drop on the rare occasions hes up for sale.

what batteries does the bike run on? if button batteries like LR/AG series they will leak after few years even if it's working. if it's those flat CR20XX series used on PC etc then they will less likely leak.

any info if the leather has been upgraded?

Bike runs on 3 AAAs I believe.

I doubt they're gonna upgrade anything on the figure. This is Medicom we're talking about. It'll be the same cheap **** but they're charging us $100 more cause it's been ten years. And we're stupid.

I'm gonna buy it. I'm not happy with myself, but I'll do it just cause it's AKIRA and it's Kaneda. I can't let myself even consider buying another bike though. There's "stupid" and then there's just plain CRAZY.

How's the QC on the bike? I have an unopened one from the original release; should I consider investing in a new one on account of the rubber tires or anything like that?

If it's unopened, I can't imagine much could be wrong with it unless you stored it in a ridiculously hot and humid place for all these years.

I've had mine mostly out on display for about ten years, but I live in Japan. During the summer months, the heat and humidity is brutal, and I can't leave the AC on 24/7, so I'm sure that exposure was bad for it.

All the plastic on mine is just fine, and all the lights and sounds are still perfect. Some of the diecast has a bit of oxidization, but it's all covered by the plastic so that's no big deal.

The worst parts on mine are the rubber hand grips. Both have cracks, but they've also both been in the figure's hands for most of that time. The rubber seat on mine is all right, but I've heard people complain about "swirling" in it.

The tires on mine are kind of greyed....I honestly can't remember if they were a robust black when the toy was new. I imagine they were. I've cleaned the tires over the years with some light soapy water but I've never applied anything stronger cause I'm afraid of melting them. They're not REAL tires, after all...just some cheap unknown rubber. I've just come to terms with the fact that they'll never be shiny and black again, and any attempt to do that might end up making it worse.

There was one pic I remember somewhere way back in this thread that was just awful....someone had a huge bubble form in one of the tires. Thank goodness that hasn't happened to mine cause I have no idea how you'd fix that.

I'd love to pick up a brand new, factory fresh bike but $600 is just utter insanity for something I already own.

In fact, I know I really should cancel my preorder for the Kaneda figure reissue. Is it really worth almost THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS to replace something I already have with an identical version that will have slightly brighter colors? I gotta come back to reality and talk myself outta that....

If it's unopened, I can't imagine much could be wrong with it unless you stored it in a ridiculously hot and humid place for all these years.

I've had mine mostly out on display for about ten years, but I live in Japan. During the summer months, the heat and humidity is brutal, and I can't leave the AC on 24/7, so I'm sure that exposure was bad for it.

All the plastic on mine is just fine, and all the lights and sounds are still perfect. Some of the diecast has a bit of oxidization, but it's all covered by the plastic so that's no big deal.

The worst parts on mine are the rubber hand grips. Both have cracks, but they've also both been in the figure's hands for most of that time. The rubber seat on mine is all right, but I've heard people complain about "swirling" in it.

The tires on mine are kind of greyed....I honestly can't remember if they were a robust black when the toy was new. I imagine they were. I've cleaned the tires over the years with some light soapy water but I've never applied anything stronger cause I'm afraid of melting them. They're not REAL tires, after all...just some cheap unknown rubber. I've just come to terms with the fact that they'll never be shiny and black again, and any attempt to do that might end up making it worse.

There was one pic I remember somewhere way back in this thread that was just awful....someone had a huge bubble form in one of the tires. Thank goodness that hasn't happened to mine cause I have no idea how you'd fix that.

I'd love to pick up a brand new, factory fresh bike but $600 is just utter insanity for something I already own.

In fact, I know I really should cancel my preorder for the Kaneda figure reissue. Is it really worth almost THREE HUNDRED DOLLARS to replace something I already have with an identical version that will have slightly brighter colors? I gotta come back to reality and talk myself outta that....

it will last another 5 -8 years, so that's $40 per annum. if you can recoup some cost selling off the old one, or make a kitbash. so it depends on your expendable cash. I don't think they will reissue this for another 10 years. and if you can contact medicom to see if they improved the leather, it may help you decide.

$300 on sideshow for the figure? Is this a joke? It looks cheap and outdated. $100 max.

Last edited:
I canceled my preorder. I just can't justify $300 for a newer, shinier version of a toy I've already owned for ten years, even if it is my favorite property. That price is just ****ing insane.

Get it when it eventually goes on clearance.

I had a good laugh when this showed up in my email for $300 plus tax and shipping (so $340 to the door in the US:lol ), I didn't even know it was being re-released.

But yeah $150 max on this - and that is still pushing it.

Anybody know where the bike will be available for PO?

Went up for preorder today.

Right now on amazon japan.....no idea if they'll ship this beast internationally.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/dp/B0...OJECT+BM!+AKIRA&qid=1610113108&s=hobby&sr=1-2

$700. Seriously bandai? Go eff yourself.

I got damn lucky the first time around and got Kaneda for half off, and the second run of the bike for almost half off, cause they might have produced too many and wanted to move stock.

I can't see this possibly happening this time. I don't think there will be any clearance sales. I'm predicting a full sell out of all initial stock, and quickly too, and them MARK UPS, not mark downs.

I've been wrong before though, so who knows....

My 2010 set is looking juuuust fine now, faded leather and all, compared to dropping a god damn GRAND for slightly shinier versions of the exact same toys.

(I still love you AKIRA.)

Back