McFarlane Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, Tod made a lot of poor decisions. He even turned down a few sweet licenses that would have made him some really good money. That and everyone else was catching up quality wise. My wife still likes some of his spawn and tortured souls figures and gets them when she can.

I used to buy lots of McFarlane toys.
There was a time they seem to hit homeruns every time they release something. Whether it was a license or original creation.
Tortured Souls is still, im my mind, one of the best action figures line EVER ; the Twisted series (especially Land of Oz), Faces of Madness ... Then came the Movie Maniacs, the Matrix, their Alien stuff ... I even got interested in Spawn figures and I didn't even read the comics.
Some of the Dragons were interesting but the release pace was crazy and quality decreased. Last two lines (Zodiac & Bladehunters) still got some good sculpting but paint was average at best.

In the meantime, others such as Neca have stepped up their game.

Last time I checked, it was only Sports, Halo (two licences I couldn't care less), not mentionning PoP figures who were simply horrendous. The Walking Dead lines might be the first McFarlane Toys I buy in nearly 8 years.

Even if I lost interest in the latest McF toys, I never planned and will never plan to sell those in my collection. I still love them ! As SKypirate said, they also bring back good memories.

That Jaws set was awesome! So was the Alien Queen.

The Queen set was awesome... but like many Mctoys, mine wasn't built all that well and one day decided to fall over (even though I was using the base) and broke :lol

But, in general their movie figures from the original Alien, Terminator, Robocop and Predator films were great and way ahead of their time.

I remember being blown away by the moving pistons on the Endoskeleton.

McFarlane was the beginning of all toy collecting for me. He revolutionized the market.

I only kept a few pieces. Love those monster playsets. So bad but so good.... :monkey1

The Queen set was awesome... but like many Mctoys, mine wasn't built all that well and one day decided to fall over (even though I was using the base) and broke :lol

But, in general their movie figures from the original Alien, Terminator, Robocop and Predator films were great and way ahead of their time.

I agree. And some of their sculpts were really well done. I loved The Tortured Souls series.

It's funny though, once I started getting into the SSC SW line five years ago, I pretty much left the smaller scale figures behind. That's why I sold off a lot of them too.

I own every Spawn figures ever made and I was absolutely disappointed when Todd cancelled the line. His decision making is questionable. Even his Sports line is crap now. How many of the same character (Sidney Crosby or Alex Ovechkin) do we need? Figures are smaller while the prices keep going up. What an absolute shame. Yah please give me more Halo & Sports line that nobody cares for...

Still better than the NECA one in some respects. The thighs are more detailed with hollow spaces rather than filled in with plastic like NECAs, and the headsculpt really captured the endoskull emerging from the flames in the T2 opening credits. NECAs last endo headsculpt was...well it was bad to say the least. That might change with their new one thats just come out.

NECA oversaturated the market with film collectibles, which forced McF to try other things. Most didnt work out.

Halo did.

McFarlane at their peak (2001?) is heads and tails better than the best NECA product. But what they produce now is a joke... Worse than the lines at their inception. Todd will always be a role model to me... But he can do so much better...

McFarlane was the beginning of all toy collecting for me. He revolutionized the market.

I only kept a few pieces. Love those monster playsets. So bad but so good.... :monkey1

very true. i too still keep mine, my fa being the MGS2 Raiden. it still has an amazing sculpt and paintjob, even by todays standards.

hopefully they return to their former Glory but ive moved to bigger and better

My fave is the Metallica stage set, the light up par cans were cool! The sculpting of that generation was just insane, dunno about now cos nothing that they produce interest me anymore

McFarlane's Movie maniac line is what got me started with this Hobby, so I'll always remember the company fondly.

I remember trying to get all the figures I could. Still have the MGS and MGS 2 lines. Love the Alien Queen and Jaws boxed sets. Have their conan lines displayed on my shelves and thought that their military line was amazing.

Things started to go downhill for me when he cancelled the movie maniac line and the final hit was when the military line got cancelled.

I also liked the Tetsuo and Clown figure from Akira... both really well done. Not too articulated, but enough to get the job done.

But like Batty as I moved into 1/6 I quickly moved away from most smaller scale figures. Probably the biggest reason I stopped buying anything from McFarlane was when the Marvel Legends figures came out. Seeing that good of paint and sculpting while still being highly articulated pushed me over the edge :lol

I started with McF too, about 10 years ago.
Only Spawn to that time, even know the fig...Spawn The Bloodaxe with Thunderhoof, a Deluxe Box too.
Jumped over to NECA with 18" Eric Draven and when T:S came 6" went kinda dead for me, cause I started HT with the Weathered 600.
But I still have all my Spawn and love for them too, but will sell the Spawn VS. Urizen Deluxe Box and on top just sold my MM T-800
IF they´re really ding a new Spawn line I´ll jump right on it, cause I still love Spawn.

Last edited:
I think this image pretty much sums it up...

1BCVQ.jpg

McFarlane got me into collecting in the first place. While I always enjoyed action figures when I was a kid, when his Spawn figures first came out, I was like HOLY COW!! There was nothing like that out at the time. He was always on the cutting edge of sculpting and paint application for toys. While I couldn't afford full size props back then, I was able to get some of my favorite movie moments with his Movie Maniacs line. His figures were always at the top of Toy Fare's top 10. It sounds like he found his niche with the sports figures, while other companies such as Hot Toys and NECA fill in the gaps.

I guess I'm just feeling nostalgic :)

Well, since you bumped this thread from the point of no return :lol, yeah, McFarlane were great in the 90s and early 2000s. I collected their line of Metal Gear Solid 2 figures, and I have a few of their MGS 1 figures as well. To this day, I still have a great appreciation for those figures.

Still dreaming about Sideshow getting the Spawn license and pop out a PF. Who knows, maybe we will see this happen at this year's comic con. Lady Death poped out of nowhere.

What happened to Mcfarlane Toys?

I used to be a big Mcfarlane Collector back in the day. Then almost overnight everything vanished...Movie Maniacs, Spawn, The Music Line, various movie licenes and cool one offs like Tortured Souls. Now its all Sportspicks and Halo. Does anyone know exactly what happened? Was it just not financially viable anymore?..I used to love these figures, its what got me started in collecting. Now they are a shell of what they used to be. I tried searching online to get an answer and there was really only a couple theories based purely on speculation.

I figured if anyone knew what happened, one of you guys might!

Back