Marvel's The Black Panther

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The cgi I'm sure is far from finished this far before it's February release. Justice league comes out soon, doesn't it?

Also don't know if I agree with the hate the current black panther run is getting with Coates as the writer. It does need a few more big scale action sequences and martial art fights, but I like the characterization of the villains. It takes risks. Beautiful art. And some really good dialogue at times.

It's not as bad-ass as Priest's run, but I do appreciate the politics, the strategy and the immersion of wakanda's spiritual world. Shuri's journey back was well-written, though, I don't like that she seems more powerful than T'Challa now.

Now black panther and the crew is an annoying book. And I'd much rather read Panther interacting with Cap, Iron Man, Dr Strange and Doom rather than the likes of Luke Cage and Daredevil. I know he's technicaslly street level but he just seems more important than the street level situations since he's so smart that he even created a raft that survived the end of the universe. I like when he's not saving the world from a global threat that he stays his was at home and isn't running around the streets in Harlem.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Caution NSFW- Contains foul language.

Beyond hyped for this movie. Loved the character in Civil War, love the cast in this one, love the visuals. This and Ragnarok stand out beautifully from the admittedly homogenous MCU.

Last edited by a moderator:

9GGrh.gif

Of course they'll keep the song out. Since when does Marvel ever use the music from the trailer in the actual film? :lol

You sure about that?

And didn't Black Sabbath clearly make their song Iron Man to use used in the future Iron Man movie trailer?

No, the IM2 album was just a collection of old songs from AC/DC. Anyway, AC/DC fits with MCU Stark's character and the theme. Putting rap in Black Panther is like putting Bach in an Italian film 'cause Germans = White = Italians. It's silly.

But appropriate for WEWUZKANGS audience.

But isn't one of the RTJ guys a ginger? Is he a honorary Kang? How does it work?! Seriously though, this is the recent BP fan-base:

WhFcmAz.jpg

>be Wakanda
>literal rock that makes people smarter falls from space
>Egyptian God decides to protect you
>do nothing while people are literally dying outside of your YUGE WALL
>hoard all the Vibranium
>brag
>tell others to be humble
>topkek.jpg

Seriously though, the projection by KANGZ is hard. Hell, not to mention that Panther is nowhere near as smart or powerful as Tony or Bruce. Wealthy, through Vibranium PIS I can accept, even if technically the nation's wealthy, not him. But between Bruce "I built the Watchtower" Wayne & Tony "I built a Dyson Sphere/Death Star Combo" Stark, I seriously doubt it.

Not to mention that he's canonically not as smart as Tony. In the Hickman run Reed confessed that he's fractionally smarter than Tony. And since Reed is number 1 (with Doom number 2), Stark is either 3 or 4 (Pym has done some impressive ****). Even going by feats, Stark is goddamn monster. He created a Dyson Sphere that could power the moon with just 0.0008% of it being charged. With 0.2% it destroyed the entire Shi'ar Armada. Not to mention the Genetic Disruptor that he used against Ares. Or Extremis & Extremis 3.0/Endo-Sym. Or that time he literally hacked people. Or Bleeding-Edge. Or the myriad of things he's done.

For all of their bragging, Wakanda's tech is miles worse than Tony's. BP's personal feats have usually to do about strategy, and his tech and gadgets were never anything special. There's his "magic-science" called Shadow Physics, but that's it. His best feats include a joint collaboration between all of the Illuminati & Valeria Richards into making a "Multiverse Death Surviving" Raft, and that time he & and Blue Marvel came up with a device that somehow reversed Galactus' condition and turned him into a "Lifebringer". Which is PIS AF, considering Galactus is literally an Eldritch Abomination, and somehow two humans solved the problem not even advanced societies such as the Shi'ar could. Especially after countless stories where something like that couldn't happen.

PS: Stark could literally nuke Wakanda from orbit on a Sunday morning before he has his latte.

Eh... There will be another world war and everything will get back to normal after that. For a while at least.

Eh... There will be another world war and everything will get back to normal after that. For a while at least.

Oh ****. Better hurry up and get my degree then. Gotta get into the weapons bussiness and make that mad Stark money! Seriously though, BP was one of my faves back in the day, but after CW, I haven't touched a comic of his. The new fan-base pisses me off. I wish the bubble bursts at somepoint and we go back to CBMs being something special. Not a way for insecure folks around the world to project themselves into character X and feel better.

Either way, Wakanda will be as cookie-cutter as possible, so why even bother? It's been established that T'Challa will visit NYC in his early teens of all things.

Well it always depends on the writer. If what they say about Wakanda is true his tech should be better than Tony's. He might not be as high as Tony on the intellect list but "nowhere close" seems to be a bit of hyperbole. Isn't stark like 4 and T'challa 7? So if his resources are advanced already his tech and gadgets should be past Stark I'd imagine.

Panther has beaten Iron Man and also out-witted him in non-combat situations.

He can summon the dead, which I don't know if past BP's were able to I thought that was just something T'challa achieved. I could be wrong there. He found a way to bring Shuri back to the living world so that's impressive as an intelligence feat.

Cap considers BP an equal in combat skill and strategy.

But Stark in the comics is a damned beast. As is Doom. But from what I read, BP was always part of that league. That's why he is part of the Illuminati--the greatest heroic minds. If anything, this movie might actually bring consistency to Wakanda because the tech from the country that BP has seems to be all over.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Well it always depends on the writer. If what they say about Wakanda is true his tech should be better than Tony's. He might not be as high as Tony on the intellect list but "nowhere close" seems to be a bit of hyperbole. Isn't stark like 4 and T'challa 7? So if his resources are advanced already his tech and gadgets should be past Stark I'd imagine.

What is said can't contradict what's on the page. The Wakandans think they're hot **** because their whole nation is filled with all the technological marvels that NYC for example doesn't have. But that's more of a narrative problem, since NYC has to be "the world outside of your window" and Wakanda has to be some mystical futuristic country. Regardless of that, the best of Wakanda doesn't hold a candle against the best of the US. Even their precious "cure for cancer" which they're not sharing doesn't mean much because Norman Osborn discovered it himself (then turned it into a weapon 'cause he's a crazy SOB).

As for the Stark/BP thing, Tony is leagues above him, because he has the feats to support it. It's on page that he's "fractionally less smarter than Reed", whereas BP is somewhere on the 8th-9th spot, considering Cho is canonically the 7th smartest person, which was stated before Pym came back, which bumped him to 8, meaning that Panther should realistically be 9th.

Either way, power scalling aside, BP just doesn't have enough good showings. Not in the tech department, not in the physics department, not in the chess department. Not even in the bussiness department. Tony turned his arms company into a global juggernaut, and has also done it 2 other times, beginning from scratch as well. The only area where BP outclasses him are the Martial Arts.

Panther has beaten Iron Man and also out-witted him in non-combat situations.

The one time in the Priest run where he used Kleenex on a stealth suit (which was an Alt-IM) and that time during CW where Panther was on a diplomatic mission and caused a ruckus during his visit. Tony was holding back, and T'Challa came prepared. Then there's that time he beat the Avengers in his early appearances, but that's pretty much it.

But all those fights happened in BP books, which were objectively biased. Tony's suits are so advanced that it shouldn't even be a contest. Picosecond reaction time, full-blown invisibillity, grid connection, etc, etc. And that's only the basic stuff. If we move on to more "unique" suits, it gets even crazier. Not to mention the recent shape changing armor.

Realistically Tony could just nuke Wakanda and be done with it. And I'm not even joking. The man has developed a "Clean Nuke". He even rebuilt Asgard post Siege. And that's justthe tip of the iceberg.

He can summon the dead, which I don't know if past BP's were able to I thought that was just something T'challa achieved. I could be wrong there. He found a way to bring Shuri back to the living world so that's impressive as an intelligence feat.

The "control of the dead" thing was a one-time power that was a result of the Panther God literally granting him the abillity (which took about 4 years to have a pay off). It's nothing he worked for. It's a magic amp by Hickman. As for Shuri, she came back all by herself after going on a spiritual journey. T'Challa's machine just kept her in stasis.

Cap considers BP an equal in combat skill and strategy.

Sure, it doesn't mean he's smarter though. Tony has beaten Reed in chess while playing in 6 boards at the same time. The rest can be summed up in "prep", and there are countless of them. He also has tons of "thinking on his feet" feats, like the Time-Travel one, or how he kept evading Osborn & HAMMER while losing his intelligence. Or when he went undercover to search for the Sons of Yinsen. He's not just an engineer.

And even as afar as H2H, Tony has displayed skills. He's taken on Skrulls in nothing but his birthday suit, he's gone H2H with Mandarin, and he's received training from Cap, Widow & Shang-Chi. He's not as good as T'Challa, but he's no slouch.

But Stark in the comics is a damned beast. As is Doom. But from what I read, BP was always part of that league. That's why he is part of the Illuminati--the greatest heroic minds. If anything, this movie might actually bring consistency to Wakanda because the tech from the country that BP has seems to be all over.

T'Challa's good, but he's not athreat for the Top 5 guys. Doom is the only guy who's invented a Time-Machine, and the only people who can use it are him, Reed and Tony (back in the Camelot arc he and Doom build a new time-machine using parts of their armors). Tony has such a mastery of tech that he created a self-replicating city. Literally a city that kept growing and developing houses, appliances, etc, etc all by its own. Not to mention all of his suits.

Wakandan tech is average by comic-book standards. Hologram-Beads, a suit that absorves kinetic energy, flying cars. Nothing out of the ordinary.

TL;DR: T'Challa is one of the most dangerous humans in comics, but Tony has a recorded history of feats, and gradually grows more powerful. You know how Flash's whole thing is "Speed Force"? That's Iron Man and tech. Doom & Reed may be able to open portals to Hell and join Multi-Dimensional Councils, but Tony will nuke you before you can utter a word.

Back