Marvel Studios - She Hulk

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im glad they explored a different take on Roth's character. I dont think I'd want some one-dimensional character that people seem to prefer, probably for the sake of not having to think. People are way more complex than that.
The problem is its far beyond who the Abomination is.

Hell I wonder how many know that the Abomination can't even go back to human form in the comics. He is one of Hulks most ruthless villains. He even killed Betty Ross. But know he's doing yoga for the LOLs

The whole MCU is on its head right now. I guess I just accept Blonski's character for what it is.

However, I don't see the reason to even get the abomination if you are going to make him so different. Just find a different or new character that would fit that personality more.

Best thing about it is that the MCU is not completely ignoring the Incredible hulk movie.

This show is odd to me. It's probably the only show that I can say I'm not really enjoying but I still watch it on release day every week. It has a weird hold on me that I can't quite explain yet.

Hmmmmmm Seems like two of She Hulks hook ups were negative. One dumps here because he does not like the real Jen and the other pretends to be be someone he is not and then films her and puts it on the net.

Maybe the show is saying there are consequences with throwing your kitty around.

I believe a more fair concern is with so few episodes and with such a short episode length in general, it would have been more practical storytelling to focus on one love interest.

The Last Kingdom had the same problem. Uhtred churned through three different major love interests in just the first season alone. It was too much and too quickly. I understand that Cornwell's books needed to be condensed down for TV, but it was an easy way to lose the audience.

Also make use of the characters you have already instead of pumping in new ones all the time. Her best friend could use some development. Her boss. Her dad as well. The tone of this show needs 20-22-24 episodes a season to work.

I care less than She Hulk has multiple partners and more that two of the partners had no kind of practical development. Some will say that's the hook up culture. I'll say the point of the partners is to help develop something in She Hulk's progression. The only reason Matt Murdock seemed more nuanced is because we all got three seasons of him before this episode.

The only thing this episode did show is Maslany needs someone consistent to play off of and banter with and help drive the basic conflicts. What do we know about the main villain? ( i.e. Jamil from The Good Place)

Multiple partners is a larger issue from cast bloat first and foremost. In effect, She Hulk is a manifestation of show runner Jessica Gao's "voice" It's why it's jarring why Maslany plays a character that seems perpetually alone. Obviously the show is trying to dress her down some and rough her up a bit aesthetically, but it's not so realistic that someone as good looking as Maslany can't find Mr Right. Do I expect Jessica Gao to cover both ends of that equation in terms of modern dating / relationship dynamics? No, nothing indicates that's going to happen. This is where Bridesmaids was very good. Kristen Wiig had to face her own pathology, her own demons, her own self sabotage. She was her biggest enemy in the film and had to be really honest about her failures and her character flaws.

The problem with writers like Gao is they see writing convention as some kind of statement of surrender. No, there are just some things in fundamental storytelling you can't cheat your way around. If you have a superhero show, you only get two kinds of episodes - Monster Of The Week and Season Specific Mythology/Series Overall Specific Mythology. Gao is just not a good enough writer to buck convention. The Great on Hulu with Elle Fanning and Nicholas Hoult is fantastic, that writing is so good that it can break some of the rules.

She Hulk has had zero character growth from the pilot. Zero. How does that happen in a modern show with this much back end support and a built in audience?

I watched all of Sex And The City ( doesn't bother me to admit that, I care if the writing is good and if the characters are compelling first and foremost) and those ladies banged a lot. I mean a lot. But there was quite a bit of complexity in the writing in the first 3 to 4 seasons. A lot of ugly honesty at times. I cared less that SATC had a lot of banging and more about those storylines actually had a point to make and impacted character growth.

If She Hulk is going to bang three guys in S1 or 30 guys in S1, Gao needs to make the storytelling efficient. What is the purpose of it happening? How does it generate conflict? How does it make the character grow? Does it operate to give the audience some fan service?

If you watch some of Gao's interviews, it's clear she is not self aware enough to recognize how to unpack She Hulks pathology in a complex and compelling way. She's not going to give the audience two sides of that coin, she can't even get one side right at this point. I actually do understand the point that some of the guys here are making about dealing with the male perspective that's been ignored, but this isn't a show built for us. And sadly there are few to no shows left really built for guys anymore.

But the main equation stays the same - You can't ask Jessica Gao to write episodes that are clearly beyond her reach. The larger issue for this show is it would like be better off with a different show runner. The first Iron Man came out in 2008. The current MCU and it's tone and MO would have never allowed the 2008 version of Jon Favreau's Iron Man to be made today. It's that problem that creates a situation where someone like Gao is picked to run one of these TV shows.

I believe . . .

We love you man - but that's as far as I got before I realised what was ahead of me . . .and much like "War and Peace" (or any "Star Wars" since the original trilogy . . . other than the Mandalorian) - I gave in.

It's like you have a habit of saving all your energy for 1 speech instead of randomly throwing out multiple bite-sized toxic barbs like the rest of us . . .

. . . . oh . . . hang on . . . thinking about it . . . maybe it's US that are doing this wrong? :unsure: :)

tenor.gif

I have no idea what I missed . . . but I'm guessing I should be grateful :lol

I apparently had an "inappropriate post", but I haven't the slightest idea what it was. I try to be squeaky clean. I don't even curse!

I THINK it was a panel directly from She-Hulk's own comic talking about the double-standards she and Tony face.

Either way, I'm for more positive conversations and far less of what that comic's writers were calling out.

I apparently had an "inappropriate post", but I haven't the slightest idea what it was. I try to be squeaky clean. I don't even curse!

I THINK it was a panel directly from She-Hulk's own comic talking about the double-standards she and Tony face.

Either way, I'm for more positive conversations and far less of what that comic's writers were calling out.

They all said "Inappropriate" because it's quicker to batch delete than it is to delete over thirty posts individually.

A few may have been collateral damage in that they quoted posts selected for deletion, while also forming part of the 'discussion'.

Back