Justice League Movie (Nov 17th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the RO set up had a 70mm lens, and while it looked pretty good, they had to crop the aspect ratio to keep it from being nauseating. The Revenant does look good for digital, I'll give it that. But it would look much better on film regardless.

I'm not saying that personal preference (or even technology bias) isn't playing a part but once again when I saw Rogue One opening weekend it had been transferred from digital to straight 70mm film stock and I got to experience a direct Pepsi Challenge between that movie and the 10 minute 15/70 Dunkirk clip that was shown right before it. RO literally looked just as good IMO.

That's the thing, they have tried and failed miserably, but they just don't know it yet. 10 years from now, all these films will really show how bad they've aged, you can already see it honestly..

Fmaf00x.gif

Even the Nolan gifs look good. :monkey3

I'm not saying that personal preference (or even technology bias) isn't playing a part but once again when I saw Rogue One opening weekend it had been transferred from digital to straight 70mm film stock and I got to experience a direct Pepsi Challenge between that movie and the 10 minute 15/70 Dunkirk clip that was shown right before it. RO literally looked just as good IMO.

Yeah, it looks good, but takes twice the amount of work.

Why wouldn't you just shoot the damn thing on film instead of going through hoops to get it to look like film? It doesn't make sense. :dunno

Fmaf00x.gif

Even the Nolan gifs look good. :monkey3

:lol

That they do, and they always will. Nolan's trilogy will go down as the most rewatchable. Barely any CGI, shot on film, real props, no green screen etc.

Yeah, it looks good, but takes twice the amount of work.

Why wouldn't you just shoot the damn thing on film instead of going through hoops to get it to look like film? It doesn't make sense. :dunno

As Gaspar said it's due to cost during production. Film stock, especially large format film stock, is extremely expensive. Much cheaper to do umpteen takes (and you know they went the distance with RO and all those reshoots) on a hard drive and then just transfer to film for a handful of theater showings than to have miles and miles of printed film stock.

That they do, and they always will. Nolan's trilogy will go down as the most rewatchable. Barely any CGI, shot on film, real props, no green screen etc.

Yes, films like that will always stand the test of time. Which is why Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge on the River Kwai look as good or better than many epics released today. TDK trilogy will always hold up, as will *most* of TFA (pity that they went digital for Snoke and Maz) and of course Rogue One.

Digital VFX don't always disqualify a film of course especially if they are first rate and used sparingly. Ex Machina for instance will look perfect forever.

As Gaspar said it's due to cost during production. Film stock, especially large format film stock, is extremely expensive. Much cheaper to do umpteen takes (and you know they went the distance with RO and all those reshoots) on a hard drive and then just transfer to film for a handful of theater showings than to have miles and miles of printed film stock.

From a financial POV it makes sense, but there's been much smaller franchises and films shot on large format so I don't really see it as an excuse for STAR WARS. :lol

...I have had to walk out the theater scratching my head wondering why I bought a ticket. :lol

I'm a big cheapskate when it comes to paying to see films, so after I got ripped off paying to see The LEGO (Big Time Letdown) Batman Movie, I made sure to see the rest of 2017's offerings with friends for the sole purpose of not having to pay for my own ticket, LOL. Pirates 5 and Spider-Man: Homecoming are the only films that I paid to see without knowing whether they were good or not because... well, I just had to see them either way. :lol

When it comes to film vs. digital, though; I'm basically in favor of the artist. Film should always be available to those who would like to use it, and, in many ways, it does provide a more authentic experience. We shouldn't shy away from technological advancement because of tradition, though. Many of the amazing things we're seeing today simply wouldn't be possible without it.

True, they could easily afford the extra cost. But for whatever reason their chosen budget for any given picture is their chosen budget and I was just restating why they made such a call, not suggesting that it was the only call or the best call they could have made.

TFA barely held up one viewing.

Well if you were paying attention to the discussion at hand you would have noticed that we are speaking from a purely visual standpoint. Obviously if you want to get into a discussion on overall quality then I'm sure commentary on films like TDKR, TFA (and obviously the entire DCEU) would take a different slant for some individuals. But that isn't what we were talking about.

Last edited:
Well if you were paying attention to the discussion at hand you would have noticed that we are speaking from a purely visual standpoint. Obviously if you want to get into a discussion on overall quality then I'm sure commentary on films like TDKR and TFA would take a different slant for some individuals. But that isn't what we were talking about.

It was a bit jarring to see it mentioned in the same breath as Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia. In regards to visual aesthetics, I don't know that there's enough there to hold up, honestly. There's a certain quality to modern films that I can't quite describe, but that feels almost lacking in authenticity. Maybe it's just some deep seated, subconscious perception I have of these as extensions of franchises that sort of get lost in the shuffle, but I still question whether TFA or Rogue One will hold up anywhere near as well as the OT, or, if, in time, they'll dwindle into obscurity like the PT has. Time will tell, I suppose.

I even struggle with the TDK trilogy, in terms of visuals. Of all of them, I feel Begins will probably hold up the best. While TDK is a great film with some really cool shots (Joker swinging through the air at the end, Batman in Hong Kong), there's a certain sterility to everything happening that makes it feel like it's purely a backdrop for the characters to get from point A to point B. Granted, it's in the characters that the film really shines, but, in terms of visual appeal, I think Begins will be looked upon far more favorably in the future. That movie had some breathtaking shots and they did a lot of cool and interesting things. The Mountains, the well; even the city felt like its own character.

I think the best scenes by far in TFA is the first act in Abu Dhabi (again, speaking strictly on the visuals) followed by Rey's encounter with Kylo in the forest. The Jordan scenes in RO (preferably in 2D) are also just absolutely gorgeous to my eye. Of course you get those visuals in literally every frame of the Lean epics I referenced. I will say that watching RO and the Harmy OT frequently at home does have me convinced that RO is the best looking SW film from beginning to end. Not Lean-esque (but what is) but better than the OT. Again, just speaking on visuals alone.

I agree on Batman Begins. I often cite how the first hour of TDK and TDKR are a bit of a struggle to endure but not so with BB. Largely in part to the majesty of those mountain glaciers, skylines, and so forth.

I agree on Batman Begins. I often cite how the first hour of TDK and TDKR are a bit of a struggle to endure but not so with BB. Largely in part to the majesty of those mountain glaciers, skylines, and so forth.

TDKR maybe, but TDK? You have the bank heist, the first scars story, the parking-lot showdown. IDK how that's a struggle. :lol

Visually speaking, both are a breeze to get through, they're absolutely stunning.

First 15 minutes of TDK are good I'll give you that but then it's a snoozefest until the Joker takes it up a notch an hour later IMO. And maybe it's not even an hour but it *feels* like it.

I think the best scenes by far in TFA is the first act in Abu Dhabi (again, speaking strictly on the visuals) followed by Rey's encounter with Kylo in the forest. The Jordan scenes in RO (preferably in 2D) are also just absolutely gorgeous to my eye. Of course you get those visuals in literally every frame of the Lean epics I referenced. I will say that watching RO and the Harmy OT frequently at home does have me convinced that RO is the best looking SW film from beginning to end. Not Lean-esque (but what is) but better than the OT. Again, just speaking on visuals alone.

While I think anyone would agree that TDKR is the weakest of the three, I would argue that, in terms of visuals, I might actually put it over TDK. As a film, it seemed thematically tied to Begins far more than TDK, and that was kind of present, visually, as well. Things like the prison, the plane crash; I also think the decision to set it during winter was an interesting visual choice; kind of contrasted Begins, in a way, where Gotham seemed like a city, almost, perpetually on fire.

First 15 minutes of TDK are good I'll give you that but then it's a snoozefest until the Joker takes it up a notch an hour later IMO. And maybe it's not even an hour but it *feels* like it.

I don't want to agree with you, but I can't count the number of times when I was watching TDK and I'd seem to doze off right around the time Gordon visits Dent in his office, only to wake up right before Joker puts a smile on Gambol's face.:lol

I don't want to agree with you, but I can't count the number of times when I was watching TDK and I'd seem to doze off right around the time Gordon visits Dent in his office, only to wake up right before Joker puts a smile on Gambol's face.:lol

Ha ha. And I'm not knocking the film as a whole as I *do* feel that there is pay off at the end for the slow start but I just always know that whenever I settle in to watch TDK and/or TDKR I have to be prepared to dig in and power through that slow first act.

Back