Jazz Inc - 1/6 1966 Batmobile

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The whole thing was explained in a video he posted, but it's still only available on his FB page and he hasn't put it up on Youtube yet for some reason.

For what it's worth, he sees the talks with WB as a very positive thing, as it would help with marketing and getting more orders and helping to defray the enormous costs he always has to deal with up front. And it's apparently all been very friendly so far.

https://www.facebook.com/100001136952547/videos/3695420590505803/

Capturehhss.JPG

Thanks, but it looks like the link is broken, so I’m not able to view it. I’ll take you at your word that he’s in trouble with DC.

I have to admit that I’m more than a little pissed that the video appears to be a week old, but he thought it was more important to notify his customers about new items for sale with a lousy email, rather than that our orders might be in jeopardy. Straight up, - that sucks. Between the 1966 batmobile and the 1989 batwing, I’ve trusted him with well over $3K for a very long time now and I expect more from him than this. He’s not some 8 year old kid selling lemonade on the side of the road.

I just wish he’d stop making videos for social media and start communicating with those of us with skin in the game, whose emails he has. He seems to only remember our emails when he’s got something to sell. Social media = marketing, it’s not CRM (customer relationship management).

Sorry to be so negative, but this is really disappointing.

The link works fine for me, but you need to have already joined his FB group. Which isn't that hard to do you know. He's an incredibly busy guy, and probably assumes anyone who's interested in his projects or investing money into them would already be following along there for updates. Which seems like a logical assumption to me as well. :dunno

I saw the video on his FB group. There?s only so much he can communicate right now as he is in negotiations regarding the license. Frankly, the video is more than most people would have done.

So sad to hear that we may have hit a hurdle. I can imagine that WB would provide quite the 'hurdle' that legally would prove insurmountable......
I will be holding my breath on this one, I desperately do not want to have this project shelved. It was just so perfect.

Hoping for a positive update, Jazzinc are terrific communicators and I have faith that they will be honest and punctual when they have information to share.

I think some folk here have misinterpreted the situation. Yes, this announcement was initially made on Facebook. Also, Joost himself specifically asked to keep it within the Facebook group initially, until he had more details from Warner Bros., which is likely why it wasn't posted on this forum earlier. As one of the paying customers, I figured I would respect that direct request from Joost, and therefore I did not share it here or elsewhere.
Firstly, it was not a "cease and desist" notice from Warner Bros., and they were not unhappy with his work. He mentioned that in fact they were quite impressed and positive about it. He believes it's the same overall attitude that got the Snyder Cut finished. This idea of a grassroots, fan-based project, made by fans for fans. JazzInc has never made any real money from their dioramas and vehicles, so that could also be why WB was not aggressive about it.
They were impressed enough, and welcoming enough, that they are allowing JazzInc to complete ALL orders of the 1/6 Justice Mobile. No new orders would be allowed (of the Justice Mobile, the 1/12 Mobile, the Bat Signal, the 89 Batwing, or the '66), but all previous pre-orders of the 1/6 Justice Mobile are being filled, with no change to price or details on the piece. If WB had a problem with JazzInc, they would not allow it.
Joost sees this as a very positive thing. He believes it would allow him to market on other distributors, as well as get better manufacturing pricing based on economies of scale, which he also mentioned could mostly offset licensing fees (which he said were completely reasonable). Licensing fees would not "jack up the prices".
So he is in discussions/negotiations with WB to be a licensed manufacturer. Anyone who is unhappy about it, can cancel their order. However, they would not receive back their deposit (which is also reasonable). Deposit monies were used for the development up until this point.

My concern is the control that WB would exhibit if Joost becomes an official producer/distributor. WB could call the shots on everything. What if WB want the '66 mobile to look more like it did during later seasons? Or what if they would prefer he put the '66 on hold, to focus on stuff from the upcoming "The Batman" film?
They could easily force their views, opinions, and priorities.

Guess we just have to wait and see. My hope is that considering how far along the '66 already is, maybe he gets the license, it costs an extra $150 or something, and it goes ahead as planned....

I had no idea this was coming out. Will he be taking more orders once he settles with WB or is this completely sold out for good?

Hopefully, this will have a good outcome, but it's clearly up to DC. And yes - what Sardo said about product control is very accurate. DC would definitely be within their rights (depending on their contract) to require final product approval before anything goes out the door (e.g. appearance, materials, packaging, etc.).

I'm not so sure this is an issue of faith in Joost, so much as it is a hope that DC isn't out for blood. Joost is a good guy, but he's not really in a position of power. Here's a good quick summary link of DC's history in court with the landmark decision of the 1966 batmobile:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimgor...-batusi-over-scotus-decision/?sh=152877961066

And the opinion of the US 9th Circuit Court (from https://www.hemmings.com/stories/2015/10/05/patent-trademark-copyright-batman-and-you)

"The result is the same as though Gotham Garage was making model versions of the Hannibal Twin-8. The 9th Circuit makes no distinction, in fact, between building full-size, functional replicas and toys -- repeatedly citing cases where toymakers were sued"

Again, DC holds all the cards here. Hopefully, they don't want a lot of bad press and this will soon be in the rearview.

I have not. Did login to his site just to review my orders and their statuses. I know in the past, he's always inundated with emails, so I've been sort of taking a wait and see at this point. Still very hopeful.

66mobile isn't sceduled for delivery until sep anyway, should have this ironed out by then or sooner.

I'm hopeful all previous POs for this remain intact. I POd mine late 2019and have pd for most of it.

Back