Input wanted: Paul Bettany as The Riddler?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Bettany as The Riddler?

• Total voters

myersfarms

Super Freak
Reaction score
Charlestown, IN just 20 Min North of Louisville, K
Okay I know that this may sound a little weird, or perhaps around here not so much, lol. I'd like to pose this question (pardon the pun), would Paul Bettany make a good Riddler? I've been a huge fan of The Riddler since I was a little boy and though I love Frank Gorshin and Jim Carey's performances as the Riddler, I wanted to see an actor pull off a performance ala John Glover from the Batman Animated series. More Edward Na___on:Con Man / Edward Nygma:Technology Self-proclaimed Super Genius and less over the top prankster. I think ten years ago that John himself would have made an awesome Riddler, and I may even mention that to William Shatners Toupee for his Burton's Gotham line when he gets to him, but I've been thinking that Mr. Bettany could really put forth a stellar performance if he was given half the chance. Now keep in mind that this is all purely fantasy as we know that Nolan has no interest in the character, but I figured since Bettany worked with Heath Ledger in A Knight's Tale, (and being married to an English teacher who loved pointing out the similarities between Riddler and Chaucer), that maybe at one point that would have been all the connection he would have needed to have at least auditioned for the part. Bottom line: Would Paul Bettany make a good Riddler? Yes or No? BTW, I love the custom Nolan-Verse Riddler's I've seen with David Tennant in the role, but he just seems like such a nice guy, maybe too nice to play the Conman/Smug Genius that I think of when I think of Riddler. Tell me what you think!

Incase you're not sure who I mean here are some pics:
paul-bettany.jpg"

paul_bettany12.jpg

Paul-Bettany-Wallpaper-paul-bettany-16489340-1280-960.jpg"

Thanks for the feedback and if anyone wants to point me in a different direction I'd love some ideas/suggestions.

Last edited:
I do like paul Bettany as an actor but i think he would be a bit plain as the riddler, i would rather see someone like Michael Sheen or Andy Serkis as they could put a unique spin on the character much like heath did with the Joker, just my personal opinion.

Thanks SJ, that's the kind of ideas/crits I'm looking for. My idea is to realistically cast an actor that would be fitting to play the Roll of Edward Nygma. You mention that Bettany would make for a "plain" Riddler. Absolutely right! I'm writing what I'm calling a "fourth script" for the Nolan-verse in which Edward Na___on is a computer hacker who goes by the moniker Mr. E. He feels like he has been ignored inspite of his "vast talents" and after a near death encounter with one of his clients goons as reprisal for a major failure, decides that it is far past time that he be recognized for the genius that he is decides to reinvent himself as Edward Nygma aka The Riddler. It makes way more sense if you read my scriptment, lol. Long story short, I think someone who kinda blends in at first and then can portrait an overgrown child basically screaming "Look at me! Look at me!" by leaving these clues to his identity but being a coward at heart since he doesn't come right out and say who he really is, but wants to prove he's smarter than everyone else. Hope that makes some sense. I've been writing this for about two months when I get free time, but that is mostly late at night when my wife and two-year old are asleep. Makes things a little wonky, lol. :panic:

Back