InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I said this a few posts ago, but I entirely agree. If I didn't have the Asmus one I would have been all over this InArt version. It's clearly better - and I am still a fan of Asmus as a company. But I just spent a lot of money on the Asmus Crown version and I really don't want to spend hundreds on an upgraded version of the same character. If InArt started with Gandalf the White I'd probably hop on it, but I just can't justify another Gandalf the Grey right now.
This is exactly where I'm at. The InArt Gandalf is clearly the superior version to me, but it also comes at a price.
I've seen some people say there is not much difference in price, so why not switch. Perhaps I'm missing something, but this is what I'm seeing: I paid $350 shipped for Asmus Crown Gandalf. InArt Gandalf is $515 from OSK - that's 147% the price of Asmus. And while the following of course doesn't apply to US buyers, the $350 for Asmus was 301€ at the time of purchase for me, while $515 currently sits at 523€, so I'm already looking at 173% of the price...

Long story short, if I had money to burn, I'd definitely upgrade. But for 200€+, I'd rather invest that money in a different figure instead. Gandalf is not as important to me, nor do I see a 200€+ price difference to be honest.

This is exactly where I'm at. The InArt Gandalf is clearly the superior version to me, but it also comes at a price.
I've seen some people say there is not much difference in price, so why not switch. Perhaps I'm missing something, but this is what I'm seeing: I paid $350 shipped for Asmus Crown Gandalf. InArt Gandalf is $515 from OSK - that's 147% the price of Asmus. And while the following of course doesn't apply to US buyers, the $350 for Asmus was 301€ at the time of purchase for me, while $515 currently sits at 523€, so I'm already looking at 173% of the price...

Long story short, if I had money to burn, I'd definitely upgrade. But for 200€+, I'd rather invest that money in a different figure instead. Gandalf is not as important to me, nor do I see a 200€+ price difference to be honest.
Well Asmus were having major issues with their free shipping method back when I was trying to get my Gandalf and other figures from them, the quote for shipping was about $80 or so IIRC.

350 + $80 = $430

Retail price for this InArt one is $440 I think, plus the shipping etc. bringing it up to $515 I honestly don't think that $85 is too much of a step up for what currently looks to be a vastly superior product.

Right now if you want to get the Asmus Gandalf from Sideshow it's $412 shipped to the UK + $82 import fee = $494, so I'd rather pay $20 for this figure tbh.

But your mileage may very depending on country/currency/import duty.

Well Asmus were having major issues with their free shipping method back when I was trying to get my Gandalf and other figures from them, the quote for shipping was about $80 or so IIRC.

350 + $80 = $430

Retail price for this InArt one is $440 I think, plus the shipping etc. bringing it up to $515 I honestly don't think that $85 is too much of a step up for what currently looks to be a vastly superior product.

Right now if you want to get the Asmus Gandalf from Sideshow it's $412 shipped to the UK + $82 import fee = $494, so I'd rather pay $20 for this figure tbh.

Yep. The price difference between both is not much. About 20% higher (what I paid) but the difference is huge.

350 + $80 = $430

Looking at it that way, $20 extra is an absolute steal even if you consider the headsculpt to be the only notable improvement. The Asmus Gandalf looks like a dodgy waxwork compared to IA's effort.

350 + $80 = $430

Yeah at current market prices (choosing Sideshow as comparison), that makes sense. I don't see a reason to get the Asmus over this at those prices, and for $20 more it would be a no-brainer. Even at $100 I might give it the edge.

I remembered that I had to pay 38€ import tax for my Asmus, which brought my total to 339€. Still, InArt is 523€, so still 54% more... Quite a bit more than $20. So for those who do have the Asmus already, and of course don't think it's the disaster many make it out to be, upgrading would still be a significant chunk of money..

Seeing the production Joker makes me a bit nervous. The quality looks great, but the head being oversized like that makes me concerned that they are still figuring out the 1/6 scale this early on.

I think this is pretty fantastic. From the overall presentation of the sculpt, hair, beard and the draping of the clothes. This one is an easy win over Asmus. Damn.

Even with all of that I ain't doubling up. I won't be able to sell off the Asmus figure and get the InArt figure ( I think it's sold out). Really, the biggest problem with Asmus is the eyes. If I could find a way to get rid of the massive amount of gloss on them I'd he happier.

Last edited:
Seeing the production Joker makes me a bit nervous. The quality looks great, but the head being oversized like that makes me concerned that they are still figuring out the 1/6 scale this early on.
Production Joker looks fine.

qaAxWAv.png

SIdvsgd.png
JvGiz1k.png
GC8AeD8.png

0mwTlde.png

I'm not going to say that the Asmus figure is better. I think InArt has a win on their hands.

But a little TLC with Asmus' product and most importantly, not blowing out his hair and beard, makes for a pretty good fig.

Screenshot_20221018-121222_Photos.jpg

20220515_025931.jpg

All that to be said, I am hesitant to sell my Asmus fig. Your Asmus figure can be a way to display a hatted gandalf while leaving the sculpt to shine on the InArt one.

And also, how were any of us to know that InArt would happen? Surely you can't hold that against yourself. You bought what, at the time, was the premier Gandalf. Such is life in this game.

Back