In praise of the Episode II Clonetrooper ...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultimate Weapon

Super Freak
Reaction score
I've held back on this statement for a long time - ever since Episode III was released in fact. So here it is:

I really didn't like the Episode III clonetroopers as much as the Episode II clonetroopers.

There, I said it. I understand the whole thing that Lucas was trying to do in bridging the designs of the prequel trilogy with the original trilogy. I understand the progression and the change. I also understand that he wanted it to seem that once the Empire took over everything simply hit a standstill as far as design and production goes. I get that too.

When it comes down to it I think the change was pushed too far between EPII and EPIII. So in EPIII we've got Biker Scouts, Snowtroopers and essentially a dozen slightly different stormtroopers. And then for another twenty years everything stops, except that all color variants and individualized markings disappear from all armor as evidenced by the OT. If the EPII Clones had been allowed to exist in EPIII, I don't think anyone would not have been able to make the leap in logic that these guys would eventually become the modern era stormtroopers. It also would have created a stronger visual connection between EPII and EPIII. AOTC isn't my favorite prequel movie, but the clone design was awesome.

I'm not trying to further complaints about the prequels, I just think the EPII clones got shafted and I would have liked to see them in EPIII as well. I think it would have been more feasible to believe that in the twenty years between EPIII and EPIV that the clones would have evolved into stormtroopers, lost the markings and developed more specialized gear; snowtroopers, biker scouts, etc.

So anyone else out there prefer the EPII style? I really can't wait for Sideshow to announce an EPII Clone - giant blaster rifle and all.

The AOTC Clones are my favourite as well.
Better and more innovative design. I do still like all the variations of the ROTS Clones, and their meaner look goes better with their turn at Order 66.

Nothing beats Stormtroopers and their awkward ways BUT I do prefer II to III. The III Clones looked like retarded Stormtroopers, and I get that they were kinda halfsy's of the 2, but I, like the Sith, deal in absolutes. No half bull crap. :emperor

It would be weird to go straight from the Mandalorian flavored helmet design to the vastly different demented skull look.

But maybe most clones should have still had the Phase 1 design in Ep III. Their commanders and squad leaders would be Phase 2. That would have worked

I wonder if that Snowtrooper Commander or whatever he was that was on the AT-AT with Veers was the last Imperial trooper that had any degree of customization. It's kinda weird. I mean he shouldn't be the only one. But then if there were others we just didn't see was there some rule that Commanders can only have so much flair? Apparently the Emperor gave in slightly to this military tradition of having the right to customization if you're a commander. and then only for your cold weather gear? wtf

in terms of looks alone, i prefer ep2's clones than ep3 as well. overall i think there are so many holes in the prequels that its not unusual to find things just doesn't hook up with what was created before.

I definetly liked the episode II trooper better, but i guess the quick advancements to the armor were easy for me to buy off on. Spending time in the military has shown me that clothing and equipment advance extremely fast during times of war. Unlike times of normal police actions were you just get by with what ya got.

Isn't the armor on the new General Kenobi figure exactly that wore by the Episode II Clonetroopers. All SSC need is to sculpt the helmet and the blaster and we will have the trooper.

Uhhh....I thought only the helmet was different as far as looks go...

Apparently Ep III armour is more comfortable...

I definetly liked the episode II trooper better, but i guess the quick advancements to the armor were easy for me to buy off on. Spending time in the military has shown me that clothing and equipment advance extremely fast during times of war. Unlike times of normal police actions were you just get by with what ya got.

Same here... I liked both designs. And being ex military, I understood the change. With uniforms, it doesn't matter if the design isn't pleasing to the eye. If the military high command wants the upgrade, they will do so. It's just like the digital camo that came out a few years ago. Many people didn't like it, but it still happened.

The one I was referring to not only had a different helmet but also he wore standard Stormtrooper forearm armor, repositioned shoulder bells like AT-AT drivers, no kneepads, AT-AT driver boots, side holster with Han Solo type blaster, and no backpack. and i think AT-AT driver gloves with a comm unit on the left glove

You can only see the upper half of him in the movie. and those backstage photos are missing two shiny metal discs on the side of his helmet. had those in the movie

Back