Ikea Granas Coffee Table become awesome Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you planning to display in it anyway?

Planning on displaying the Batmobile 1989 ^_^
IMG_4981_zpsec7753c2.jpg

Just finished the LED strip ribbon light.
IMG_4982_zpsf37fb411.jpg

I will definitely write my How-To when I am close to being done. A lot of other people's information helped along the way. The thing that is most difficult is the amount of time spent making this display case.

Planning on displaying the Batmobile 1989 ^_^
IMG_4981_zpsec7753c2.jpg

Just finished the LED strip ribbon light.
IMG_4982_zpsf37fb411.jpg

I will definitely write my How-To when I am close to being done. A lot of other people's information helped along the way. The thing that is most difficult is the amount of time spent making this display case.

Ha that's what I am considering buying for it. Just hav'nt got up the nerve to spend $700 on a collectable. Figured either way though making this display case will be a fun project over the winter. If I get the car great if not I'll figure something out for it. Congrats on getting it all the pics and reviews make it look amazing.

Last edited:
I have a question for Geil, Ironed and others who have built their Granas case: Which adhesive stick did you use for the 1/2" aluminum angles? Geil said 3M exterior mounting tape but I can only find it in 1" width. I ended up getting some 1/2" 3M indoor mounting tape but it is white foam tape. I saw some clear mounting tape but again, it is 1" wide and I can't cut it without removing the adhesive backing from the roll. Which do you recommend for placement around the edges of the acrylic frame?

I have a question for Geil, Ironed and others who have built their Granas case: Which adhesive stick did you use for the 1/2" aluminum angles? Geil said 3M exterior mounting tape but I can only find it in 1" width. I ended up getting some 1/2" 3M indoor mounting tape but it is white foam tape. I saw some clear mounting tape but again, it is 1" wide and I can't cut it without removing the adhesive backing from the roll. Which do you recommend for placement around the edges of the acrylic frame?

Hi kl241

I guess someone else than me could answer this. :wink1:
I didn't use any aluminium angles at all, I just glued the acrylic panels together with clear 5mm glass tape. :)

:wave

Your setup requires more accurate measurements and cuts ;)
As for tape I ended up using the cheapest foam tape I could find as long as it was the right width. 3M exterior tape would have been overkill and a lot more $$. This remains indoor and not much strength is needed. As for the inside to attach the acrylic panels I ended up using Velcro patches so I can easily remove them but man was a bad idea. My kid keeps kicking them in lol

:borg "Resistance is Futile"

Ok thanks. I used the 1/2" indoor foam and ended up using a black sharpie around the edges so it wouldn't be noticeable between the base shelf and the angles which I painted black. As for the insides of the angles I wanted something transparent so you couldn't see white around the frame of the acrylic panes.

What are the dimensions of the "60's Batmobile. I know it's not out but if you had to guess. I was just wondering if it would fit in this.

Dimension 39"L x 20"W x 21"H
Additional shorter under-glass-top supports are included in case you want to lower the glass top to have smaller gap between the glass top and tank top edges, thus to prevent your cat or child from reaching into the water. 2 half white half actinic blue LED lights hidden on each side of the tank not only give your aquatic lives sufficient lighting but also aesthetic enjoyment. Made of glass not acrylic.
81v4Yp7jwXL._SL1500_.jpg

Hi Toylion!

Only guessing, but I have a feeling that the "Tank table" will be too small/short for the 66

Looking at the size of the HT 89 and compare die-cast 1/18 scale 66 and 89.

39" is almost the size of the HT 89 ...and the 66 will be even bigger (longer). :horror

Anyway, nice table. :yess:

...but who knows. :wink1:

:wave

Additional shorter under-glass-top supports are included in case you want to lower the glass top to have smaller gap between the glass top and tank top edges, thus to prevent your cat or child from reaching into the water.

Is that tank running right now? Where/how is it plumbed? I'd love to see images from other sides, not because I think the Batmobile might fit, but because I love aquatic displays and planted tanks.

While I have no idea how much that tank costs, I'd have to imagine it's a lot more than an IKEA Granas plus mods.

OK looking at converting another table for a new found collector friend :D
I inherently get lazier and lazier when it comes to tackling the same task so it needs to become easier and faster soooo....
I am thinking of testing thin acrylic panels with magnetic strips to attach to the granas table's outer metal frame. I already found magnetic strips with adhesive side on ebay so that should work and no more buying and cutting trims. Still need to mod the table legs and make a llid shelf but this will be easier and cheaper and now you can access the inside without removing the heavy top!!! Also my idea using velcro to attach on the inside ended up not so great as my kid keeps kicking it in LOL

Last edited:
I build custom display cabinets and I am floored at how you took such a simple and redacted approach and achieve epic results

Very creative and I like how you can change it up.

Do they still sell that granas table? I did a search and they have 2 other tables, but not the smaller coffee table that you have. That looks BRILLIANT! :yess:

Back