Ikea Granas Coffee Table become awesome Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
man..i'm scared...need to build another one... tumbler has one ..camo does not.. and guess whats arriving later this week....yes.. the 89...

I'm not sure that's a smart idea considering that the cover is glass..unless I somehow replace the glass top with something else.. we'll see.. Wife is already complaining about that one table lol

hey all,

been following this thread for a while now. getting a new place so im finally gonna take on this project. Unfortunately, Granas is no longer available in Canada.

has anyone tried the VITTSJÖ? i'm thinking of modifying the TV Bench.

Link

Granas: Kijiji - every time I check, I see at least 2 in the GTA. Last week $40ea.

Vittsjo can be modified in a similar way, except it's very small. Only a 15x39" footprint. That won't fit any of the Batmobile variants people have been putting in Granas.

Granas: Kijiji - every time I check, I see at least 2 in the GTA. Last week $40ea.

Vittsjo can be modified in a similar way, except it's very small. Only a 15x39" footprint. That won't fit any of the Batmobile variants people have been putting in Granas.

youre in GTA too? sweet! last i saw, they were $75 on there. will check out again thanks

I found one but I would have to have it shipped

I dont know if the asking price plus shipping would be worth it

Is the table that heavy? and would making the glass locally be easier cheaper than paying to ship it with the glass

Glass pricing varies wildly depending on locale and sources. I can go to one place here in Ontario and pay 3-5x more for the same piece of glass as at another supplier. Shipping glass is not going to be cheap. Just keep looking for another one and in the meantime start checking prices at glass suppliers - regular plate glass is a lot less expensive than tempered, though not as strong and certainly more dangerous when it breaks - all your windows are plate glass.

Been working on the custom Granas table for a couple days now. Its a lot of work! I had to buy the diamond cutter blade for my Dremel to cut the Granas legs and aluminum trims.

Been working on the custom Granas table for a couple days now. Its a lot of work! I had to buy the diamond cutter blade for my Dremel to cut the Granas legs and aluminum trims.

Would love some detail on how much work is involved. Any kind of quick tutorial or documentation of the process would be great. I am thinking of getting one of these but I have nowhere to work on a big project at the moment and limited power tools. Just wondering what tools are needed and how much work is involved.

Also, anyone have the dimensions of these tables? And what was their price new?

Sean

I been doing the granas coffee table mod in my garage. Just one side of garage is all the space you need.

I used my Dremel with diamond cutter blade ($17) to cut the slots into leg and aluminum trims. For the home depot shelves, I cut them with a Stanley 15" sharp tooth saw.

Also I bought spray paint for the Granas case and shelf boards.

I used cutting discs on mine. Broke about 10 of them but at least they got the job done. :lol

Use an angle grinder with cut-off disc or a jigsaw for the perpendicular cuts to save on any Dremel discs.

I really want to try that LED strip lights but my electronics skills are crap. So I guess I might do the dioder...and if someone can break it down for LED lights set up for stupid write up I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Working on an Ikea Vittsjo conversion to display my Batpod.

hyf6.jpg

h2xr.jpg

anva.jpg

Last edited:
Back