Ikea Granas Coffee Table become awesome Display Case

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put my Batpod in there...

zM9NtBC.png

hcNCgDN.png

BvMeGvq.png

Still love how these look. Have one of these tables in storage. When I finally get a house with my man cave this will be the centre piece. All the new ones on here since I last visited look great guys.

Well the double-sided sticky tape I used on the acrylic panels is no longer adhesive. 2 of my acrylic panels caved in and were leaning on the Batmobile. I'm going to try using Liquid Nails to permanently glue them on.

Use silicone. It'll never fail and is IMO, a lot less trouble. It's also available clear.

The clear silicon I saw said the surface must be porous or sanded. I didn't want to have to sand down the metal angles or the plexiglass first.

Not sure why any tube of silicone would say that. Silicone is traditionally used on non-porous surfaces, like glazed tile and glass. Windows, aquariums, etc. Silicone is the only thing that holds a glass aquarium together. Definitely don't sand anything down first, but just make sure the mating surfaces are super clean.

Home Depot, GE Silicone - doesn't matter which one you buy, whether it's Silicone I or Silicone II, whether it's Window and Door or Tub and Tile (has anti-mildew agents). Just make sure it's clear.

Not sure why any tube of silicone would say that. Silicone is traditionally used on non-porous surfaces, like glazed tile and glass. Windows, aquariums, etc. Silicone is the only thing that holds a glass aquarium together. Definitely don't sand anything down first, but just make sure the mating surfaces are super clean.

Home Depot, GE Silicone - doesn't matter which one you buy, whether it's Silicone I or Silicone II, whether it's Window and Door or Tub and Tile (has anti-mildew agents). Just make sure it's clear.

I think it was the LocTite silicon that said that on the directions. I'll look for the GE Silicon. Thanks Pixel! :duff

If you have a caulking gun, get it in a caulk tube/cartridge - it's easier/faster to apply and cheaper by volume versus buying a smaller squeeze-tube.

If anybody is looking for a granas table I have 2 I need to get rid of in so cal for $50 each... It's already modified for the legs which is the hard part :-/

Hi all new user from the UK. I have joined just to take part in this thread. I'm currently building the deagnostini millennium falcon and after seeing all the great builds here I have decided to display in a granas. managed to locate a table fairly local for £5!!! Glass is in pretty near perfect condition too :D . so, I have lowered the legs and made the shelf for the bottom and plan to add acrylic sides and LEDs then I'm gonna make some kind of diarama for the falcon to be flying over / through. Have 3 thoughs in mind for this...either the death star 1 surface or the death star 2 interior or a surface of an android. Just as well I still have a year of building to go with the falcon lol.

Great to meet you all and I will try to post a progress pic.

Joe

Thanks figure it's great to be here :D . have decided to go for a death star surface in the display case. Have managed to find a seller who casts death star surface tiles so I have ordered 10 different variations, the tiles are 3" x 3" so approx 155 will be required to fill the base of the display. Have looked at tutorials on how to make moulds of the tiles I am buying and I plan to make moulds then make casts of the tiles as buying them would literally cost well into a 4 figure sum :eek:. Should be fun though! Will take some pics once the tiles arrive and will show the casts etc too. Also found some sellers on eBay that sell acrylic cut to size which will be handy. If anyone sees this who has previously done this could you take a couple of close up pics of where the acrylic joins the legs ? Just want to see what others have done and its hard to tell from the pics I have seen . cheers :D

nice to see this thread is still alive though my picture hosting service has since shut down my account and taken all my pictures with it :( NOt sure if I mentioned it in this thread but my latest idea is to cut acrylic panels to size to go "over" the metal legs. Get adhesive magnetic strips stick these to the top and side edge of each panel and then just stick the panel to the metal frame of the table and you are down! Since it sits over/outside the frame the panels won't fall into the display area like mine do at times. I have found only black strips so far though

Counter-sink some round and relatively flat rare-earth magnets into the acrylic instead of adhesive strip which is only available in very weak form in addition to being dark colored. But keep in mind you'll want/need something to support side panels from underneath. Magnets can slide very easily compared to their pull strength.

for the magnetic panels I would just stick with 1/8" panels, not much weight so I can't imagine it being an issue. Besides I would likely make the panel go all the way to the floor anyways as the few inches I have left really won't do anything besides allowing dust to gather underneath and things to roll/slide under...

Back