If designs are based off the actors own face would Mara Jade be based off her models?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not a cut scene. A picture Photoshopped in (I'm guessing) 1997.

I know its a created image (most likely photoshop) to go with the background where she was placed in ROTJ. Mara Jade wasn't even a thought in 1983 or else LUCAS would have created her. I have no real issue with EU except when internet attempts to weave them into the continuity forcefully.

Sideshow has said that Mara Jade will be coming sometime in 2011, but that they were unsure which format she would be done in. My question is what will they base her face off of? The various comics or the fugly Shannon pics ??

It'll be Shannon, despite not being the sole focus for Mara Jade she still does the circuit appearing as the "actress portraying Mara Jade" so I don't see why they would go any other way.

No matter what she looks like it'll be a pass. The only EU female I'm interested in is Bastilla Shan.

I know its a created image (most likely photoshop) to go with the background where she was placed in ROTJ. Mara Jade wasn't even a thought in 1983 or else LUCAS would have created her. I have no real issue with EU except when internet attempts to weave them into the continuity forcefully.
:lecture

No matter what she looks like it'll be a pass. The only EU female I'm interested in is Bastilla Shan.

:lecture :exactly: :goodpost: :hi5:

I can't abide the Zahn trilogy. He lost me at Luke drinking hot chocolate and Thrawn having silly lizard pets that create "bubbles" in the Force (like Jedi Kryptonite). Even the Midichlorians aren't even that lame.

True.... the BioWare stuff (KOTOR, the 1st & 3rd Darth Bane novels, etc) is pretty great. And James Luceno's PT era novels are actually better than the PT films.

The rest of the EU can go screw itself, though. :monkey1

That is some of the better stuff out there.

I guess I'm more open when it comes to the EU. Some of the other stuff is pretty decent but there is some bad stuff as well.

With my limited knowledge of SW EU...I do know that Shannon McRandle is most definately the face of Mara Jade through promotions, conventions, etc. Even Lucasfilm acknowledges her as this character. I can't imagine Sideshow going into full force on a Mara Jade fig without Shannon being the face of Mara. Thats just my 2 cents...

i like some of the EU, but Mara Jade may be among the last characters that i want to see made... there are way too many "mandatories" in line.

Considering she's Luke Skywalkers wife and mother to his child, I don't see how she's not all that important compared to other EU characters.

Sure I'd like to see a Malak or a Revan or a Starkiller or an Exar Kun, but that doesn't mean Mara's any less important imo

I can't abide the Zahn trilogy. He lost me at Luke drinking hot chocolate

I started reading Heir to the Empire last year after Thrawn was announced due to recommendations from some members here. Luke and the hot chocolate one or two chapters in just killed it. I read a little more (I think Luke, Han, and preggo Leia got captured at a market or something) and stopped after realizing that I was reading all the boring parts of the PT in novel form. No thanks.

What they can't have hot chocolate in a galaxy far, far away?

I'm with Josh, there is a continuum of quality for the EU, some good, some not so good, and some just sucks. But I usually enjoy reading it all. I really wish people would stop _____ing about the EU all the time, it's annoying. For the life of me I'll never understand why people feel the need to trash something instead of ignoring it.

She's Luke Skywalkers wife and mother to his child,
:gah:

See, that is a perfect example of the EU at its most contrived and lame. Seriously, that's like Twilight for Star Wars fans stuff right there.

Luke Skywalker shouldn't be getting married and having children in any universe, much less one some fans seem to savor.

Even Slash Fiction is more original than that sheyite. :pfft:

How the hell is getting married and having a kid lame? It's what people tend to do...

I can't abide the Zahn trilogy. He lost me at Luke drinking hot chocolate and Thrawn having silly lizard pets that create "bubbles" in the Force (like Jedi Kryptonite). Even the Midichlorians aren't even that lame.

:lecture:lecture:lecture

I only trash the EU novels that I actually purchased and spent time reading. I think if you want a well written novel by a sci fi writer you have to give them firm parameters with which to work in or else they get too far into whackville.

Thats why the PT novels work so well, and the CW series for that matter. The SW universe has been clearly established for them and they can roam about it without having to make up convoluted nonsense.

How the hell is getting married and having a kid lame? It's what people tend to do...

That is not at all the character trajectory portrayed in the text of the films. It's romance novel crap. Perfect for the lazy, unoriginal EU writers though.

So what is the character trajectory?

It's left open and ambiguous, of course. Which is why the post-JEDI EU wouldn't work really well even if it were good... it crumbles the mystique.

But the Luke that is in the films, particularly at the end of JEDI, is certainly not one you see becoming domesticated. He's almost monk-like at the end of the trilogy.

So, you have no problem with Luke drinking hot cocoa, getting married, and starting a family? What can the EU writers throw at you that you wouldn't accept, Luke driving a Ducati to work? :lol

If the EU writers could stay with the characters as they were portrayed in the movies and focus on original storylines they might be on to something... but they do the opposite: they strip the iconic SW characters of their mystique and make them generic modern sci-fi pawns in stories that could just as easily be anything but Star Wars. And there's hardly a drop of classic mythology in 99% of the EU, either. Another ingredient that is critical to SW.

What they can't have hot chocolate in a galaxy far, far away?

Nope. They have spiced blue milk that can be heated but Hot Chocolate seems a little farfetched. :lol

It goes against the original PT ideal that is why. Originally Jedis were supposed to be practically monks, Samurai, leaving all things aside to pay attention to the higher order. You have to remember that before the PT, Luke Skywalker was the Last of the Jedi, the chosen one and having him decide that he'll go against the traditional views of those in an act of servititude by having kids, a wife and hot chocolate waters down the character and the Jedi order. Even Lucas going back through the PT made Anakin having a wife and children outlawed which is why Anakin and Padme had to keep it a secret. Being a Jedi back when the PT solely existed even back to Zahn's first novel was a sacrifice to the greater good.

OT Jedi = Monks/Samurai
PT Jedi = Intergalactic Police Squad

I don't particularly have a problem with Luke getting married, etc but I definitely understand how it goes against what Lucas set up through the first three films.

That is not at all the character trajectory portrayed in the text of the films. It's romance novel crap. Perfect for the lazy, unoriginal EU writers though.

Could have been worse....Ben Skywalker (Funny that he named him Ben in retrospect since his name was actually Obi-Wan...) could have been sparkly, full of angst and using his Jedi abilities to impress the girl in his biology class...

Jesus Carl is fast on the reply. Answered the question while I was still composing. :lol

Back