1:9 Scale - The Sweet Spot Between 1:12 & 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustinMP

Freaked Out
Reaction score
I can understand without much discussion why this scale doesn’t seem to get a lot of talk through much of the forum. Though, with 1/6 Scale figs becoming more expensive & 1/12 scale figs just not making the cut for some adult collectors, I’m finding solace in the overlooked outlier scale, 1:9 or 8”.
NECA does amazing sculpt/paintwork and easily takes the cake for being the most successful brand with their 8” Retro Cloth line.
I’ve looked around and Beast Kingdom hopefully will continue improvement with their Dynamic 8ction Heroes line. Their ‘89 Joker is one of the best figures in my collection in any scale.
I hope to find & post some other brave companies attempting figures in the “Goldilocks Zone” of modern adult collecting. Do you ever tread into the 1:9 scale? There have to be other companies I’m missing, do you have a favorite not listed here?
As an aside, 3.75” figures will always have much to offer and are very safe financially for the business & the consumer (though vary in production value) so I’m just excluding them here.
-

Attachments

• IMG_9768.jpeg
    IMG_9768.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 0

Attachments

• IMG_9779.jpeg
    IMG_9779.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9780.jpeg
    IMG_9780.jpeg
    290.4 KB · Views: 0
I can understand without much discussion why this scale doesn’t seem to get a lot of talk through much of the forum. Though, with 1/6 Scale figs becoming more expensive & 1/12 scale figs just not making the cut for some adult collectors, I’m finding solace in the overlooked outlier scale, 1:9 or 8”.
NECA does amazing sculpt/paintwork and easily takes the cake for being the most successful brand with their 8” Retro Cloth line.
I’ve looked around and Beast Kingdom hopefully will continue improvement with their Dynamic 8ction Heroes line. Their ‘89 Joker is one of the best figures in my collection in any scale.
I hope to find & post some other brave companies attempting figures in the “Goldilocks Zone” of modern adult collecting. Do you ever tread into the 1:9 scale? There have to be other companies I’m missing, do you have a favorite not listed here?
As an aside, 3.75” figures will always have much to offer and are very safe financially for the business & the consumer (though vary in production value) so I’m just excluding them here.
-
The 1:9 or 1:10 is a nice sweet spot of a scale that I actually preferred at one time. The size had a nicer presence than 1:12, more weight and detail, and was less cumbersome than 1:6, with an overall substantialness that felt just right for action figures. The scale actually has quite a long history that dates well back before our current 1:6 and 1:12 lines. We often mistake it for the Mego figures, but there have been many others in this scale. Sideshow's old Univeral Monsters figures were this size and Mezco made some nice Warriors figures with real cloth and mixed media outfits in a similar scale about 15 years ago. I'd even put the vintage Big Jim figures in this category, although I think those were about 1:8.

I've noticed a lot of new statues, mostly from Sideshow, have been in a similar 1:10 scale. This may not be the place for figures, but the scale seems to resonate well for statues.

I remember Star Ace proposed a bunch of high-end figures in 1:8 scale, like Supergirl and Fantastic Beasts, called the Real Master Series. What ever happened to those figures? Sadly it's a scale that hasn't caught on in our current market so we have little to work with and most 1:9 size figures just have a weird relationship with other 1:6 and 1:12 figures in a collection.

The 1:9 or 1:10 is a nice sweet spot of a scale that I actually preferred at one time. The size had a nicer presence than 1:12, more weight and detail, and was less cumbersome than 1:6, with an overall substantialness that felt just right for action figures. The scale actually has quite a long history that dates well back before our current 1:6 and 1:12 lines. We often mistake it for the Mego figures, but there have been many others in this scale. Sideshow's old Univeral Monsters figures were this size and Mezco made some nice Warriors figures with real cloth and mixed media outfits in a similar scale about 15 years ago. I'd even put the vintage Big Jim figures in this category, although I think those were about 1:8.

I've noticed a lot of new statues, mostly from Sideshow, have been in a similar 1:10 scale. This may not be the place for figures, but the scale seems to resonate well for statues.

I remember Star Ace proposed a bunch of high-end figures in 1:8 scale, like Supergirl and Fantastic Beasts, called the Real Master Series. What ever happened to those figures? Sadly it's a scale that hasn't caught on in our current market so we have little to work with and most 1:9 size figures just have a weird relationship with other 1:6 and 1:12 figures in a collection.
Thank you for adding something insightful to the conversation! I didn’t know about some of those lines! 🙏🏼

https://www.toyark.com/2023/07/24/neca-scary-xmas-elvira-8-inch-action-figure-510457
NECA is putting out an 8” Cloth Xmas Elvira.
I’ll be honest, I love Elvira. But I’m about Elvira’d to death in terms of NECA. They are milking that sculpt for all it’s worth. I plan on getting her iconic black outfit, but this is 3 of her character in the line. I’d love to see David & Undead Jack make it into the 1/9 NECA line soon.
But I will say a nice addition to this specific Elvira set is the green creature!

Attachments

• IMG_9787.jpeg
    IMG_9787.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9788.jpeg
    IMG_9788.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9790.jpeg
    IMG_9790.jpeg
    611.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9789.jpeg
    IMG_9789.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Though I have to admit, I’d probably pick up another Elvira if they put her out in her Rambo-Inspired getup lol I guess a mix between Rambo & Ripley from Alien?

Attachments

• IMG_9791.png
    IMG_9791.png
    241.5 KB · Views: 0
Personally, I really like the 1/9 Beast Kingdom figures for the most part. The Dark knight Joker and Batman are really amazing. The 89 Batman, I really liked for a bit until I got the Mezco 89. Which blew the Beast Kingdom out of the water with all the QC issues of the BK 89 Batman. I will be purchasing the 66 Batman and Robin. With my interest more into props and prop replicas, I would rather dedicate space to those than 1/6 figures. I am still buying 1/6th scale figures, but I am just being more selective.

Back