I don't understand the attraction to 1/12 scale figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I am just jealous that 1/12 scale gets so my cool dioramas. Also, with my perception of an increase in production of figures, it seems obvious someone is buying them. Good for you, all you 1/12 collectors!

Interesting viewpoints from everyone!

I remember seeing the ToyBiz Marvel Legends figures in the store and I was allured. I still collect 1/12, even amongst 1/6 and 1/4 figures, as I appreciate what each scale accomplishes.

It's size and cost for me. I have a small collection of Star Wars Black Series. To have assembled that with HT and SSC would have cleared me right out. If you know where to look, you can find some cracking deals. I've been able to find Black Series for under £10 at times. I do also have some Mezco and Figuarts, but, they have to be very special figures to make me fork out for them.

Prices are creeping up though, so how long I even keep going in smaller scales remains to be seen, though they can be found in sales or clearances, which can't often be said of 1/6.

1/12th is the future of the hobby.

Its small enough to allow for vehicles and other items to accompany your display, but large enough that you have the benefit of real clothing -- which was the main grab of 1/6th originally -- and that clothing is getting better and better all the time.
My MEZCO Popeye is one of the best figures I own and certainly the biggest surprise.

Although I'm retired/semi-retired from collecting at this point, I did collect both 1/12 and 1/6.

1/6 has far more shelf presence and visual impact but it's physically very limited relative to the smaller scales, albeit more often than not more realistically detailed.

The savings don't really carry over how you'd think if you're buying a lot of quality 1/12 -- you buy more of them and they're not cheap. But thanks to lines like Marvel Legends and some of the amazing independent toy companies out there that operate off Kickstarter etc. -- this scale has been the most popular for many years ... which you don't see as much here because it's not that kind of forum.

I don't disqualify anything based on scale, I have some of everything. What I like about smaller stuff like 1/12 is that they are actually posable and not the stiff fragile rubber nonsense that a lot of 1/6 is turning into. Cost is a big one, half the size for 1/10 to 1/3 the cost. And space, for big groups of characters I have long abandoned the idea of having one of everybody in 1/6, just way too much space. I can have 20 Avengers in a nice small picture frame shelf and enjoy it. In lines like Marvel Legends they actually produce a lot more characters that will never see the light of day in bigger scales, plus there is a fun customizing side of the hobby too that is a bit more accessible and cheaper to learn on.

W67CsUk.jpg

I have a whole HoA and Hulkbuster for about the price of two diecast armors these days and I don't have to rent a storage unit just to keep the boxes in

fEBDA22.jpg

I don't disqualify anything based on scale, I have some of everything. What I like about smaller stuff like 1/12 is that they are actually posable and not the stiff fragile rubber nonsense that a lot of 1/6 is turning into. Cost is a big one, half the size for 1/10 to 1/3 the cost. And space, for big groups of characters I have long abandoned the idea of having one of everybody in 1/6, just way too much space. I can have 20 Avengers in a nice small picture frame shelf and enjoy it. In lines like Marvel Legends they actually produce a lot more characters that will never see the light of day in bigger scales, plus there is a fun customizing side of the hobby too that is a bit more accessible and cheaper to learn on.
Yup, I've seen quite a few really awesome customs and repaints on IG of 1/12 stuff that look pretty darn good. And at the smaller scale, that little bit of extra detailing goes much further

When I see comments like "i can get x amount of black series/marvel legends vs 1 hot toy so 1:6 is expensive" i cant help but think "why are you comparing low/mid end products to high end products?" It is apples and oranges.

A lot of HT figures are very expensive and lack poseability due to the primary goal of them being visual realism.
Any 1:12 aiming for the same goal will be expensive and have limited poseability.

1:6 figures that prioritise posability such as the 1000toys Synthetic Human, Sentinel Iron Spider or the Dimension Studios Ultraman will be able to outpose the majority of 1:12 figures.

As for 1:12 being better scale because it allows for vehicles.... well, comparatively sure it is a little better than 1:6 but it is still way too big. You can only do smaller vehicles like bikes, cars etc, which is not all that much different than 1:6 which has the same limitation.

For the ideal scale that combines vehicle play, figure poseability and variety, 3 3/4 inch aka 1:18 scale is king.

The primary advantages for 1:12 at this point are that A: they take up less space than 1:6, B: high end 1:12 is a little cheaper than comparable 1:6 and C: there is more variety in the lines than 1:6 usually has.

1:6 has better detail, tailoring and shelf presence, not to mention better head sculpting and paint most of the time.

I would say that the primary weakness of 1:6 as a scale is that there is little to nothing in terms of mid range products. It is either expensive high end stuff like HT/Inart etc (high quality 3rd party unlicensed figures aren't much cheaper either) or super low end plastic shampoo bottle style trash from Hasbro/Mattel etc.

We used to have a lot in between those two extremes, such as cheap, relatively poseable (at the time) fabric clothed figures such as those made by DML, DID and BBI, we also had good low end figures like the hasbro 12 inch figures from the Star Wars POTJ/prequel lines (some of which were great!) or the GI Joe line of fabric clothed figures.

From the 90's through to about 2008 ish there was a great variety of decent quality low to mid range 1:6 stuff, some of which was really cool and obscure like the mad bomber by 21st century toys.

Now that 1:6 as a scale is primarily high end or super low end only, the market for mid range products has shifted entirely to 1:12, with loads of brands looking to fill that void. That I think is why the scale is so popular now, it is serving more than just high end museum piece style collectors.

Last edited:
I assume we talking about 1/6 downscaled to 1/12, earlier makers are 3A. To me it is a way for makers to keep the hobby more easily accessed and more affordable at the same time providing more accessories with slight loss of details. A plus is they are more compatible to existing figures and accessories.

1/6 are just getting too expensive to make and sell. But they should focus on big 1/12 figures that are too big for 1/6.

W67CsUk.jpg

I have a whole HoA and Hulkbuster for about the price of two diecast armors these days and I don't have to rent a storage unit just to keep the boxes in

fEBDA22.jpg
Phenomenal Iron Man display!

I will also add that there is bound to be some bitterness from 1:6 folk regarding 1:12 because companies that used to cater to them abandoned 1:6 to serve the 1:12 market instead.

Case in point: 1000toys started out with their amazing Synthetic human figures, and even back when they had just released their first one or two figures they were promising a female version for us fans. We waited for years. And years. Finally, recently they made it.... in 1:12 scale. They had abandoned 1:6 entirely despite their promises and they instead pumped out 1:12 scale figures. Us OG collectors who jumped through hoops to get every one of their earlier figures were abandoned in favour of the new collectors. It felt almost like a betrayal to some, after all, we had supported the company, helped it grow and proudly promoted their products while also going to see them at events, having drinks with them etc, only for them to essentially dump the 1:6 customers like an ageing wife in favour of the sexy new, younger 1:12 customer base.

A bit over dramatic I know but I was trying to capture the sentiment. It left a lot of us bitter. I know I had been waiting for the female synth since when I ordered their first ever male synth. I guess HT Alita will have to do.

I’ll never understand the argument that 1/12 scale saves money. You pay for what you get, and if you want top quality with tons of variety, 1/6 is generally the only way to go. I’m honestly surprised that if savings really is the #1 goal, LEGO mini figures aren’t the dominating metric (which is also great; people should collect whatever they like!).

If 1/12 scale stuff ever had identical quality to 1/6 products at, let’s say, even 75% of the price, I’d switch over in a heartbeat. If nothing else but to save on closet space from all the boxes I have piled in. :ohbfrank:

I’ll never understand the argument that 1/12 scale saves money. You pay for what you get, and if you want top quality with tons of variety, 1/6 is generally the only way to go. I’m honestly surprised that if savings really is the #1 goal, LEGO mini figures aren’t the dominating metric (which is also great; people should collect whatever they like!).

If 1/12 scale stuff ever had identical quality to 1/6 products at, let’s say, even 75% of the price, I’d switch over in a heartbeat. If nothing else but to save on closet space from all the boxes I have piled in. :ohbfrank:
My friend says that’s called “Mezco” 😂

Back