I don't understand the attraction to 1/12 scale figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friend says that’s called “Mezco” 😂
MEZCO's just weird. They've had a couple of bangers since that first TDKR release, but I find the vast majority of their stuff to be very underwhelming particularly for the price and the insane wait times. Their fanbase is rabid, though. Reminds me of the cult following Ashley Wood's stuff had back in the day.

I finally got my Mezco 1989 Batman. My solution to the cape issue was a very easy and cheap one: I used a leftover Black Series Darth Vader cape. It drapes fantastically.

I'm happier with that and the Mafex Robocop on my shelf than the Hot Toys versions. I'd even argue that the paint on Robo is superior on the Mafex!

This idea of "elitism" and "one scale is superior to others" is laughable.

"Ha ha, my 1/6th figures are better than those cheap Happy Meal toys like Marvel Legends. They're so realistic."

"Oh yeah? My $2500 statue is so much better than your 1/6 scale figure. It's the size of a child!"

If statues the size of a child or realistic-looking dolls make you happy, that's cool, but it's embarrassing to pretend that any of it is somehow "superior" or more "elite" than just collecting a line of figures you like.

It's ALL nerdy, obsessive, dorky, geek behavior. Your statue is just as much the object of scorn and ridicule to normies as a Marvel Legends figure. Maybe even more-so because of the price and the space it takes up.

Looking down your nose at people that collect the same thing as you but in a slightly different size or price point is a complete waste of time and is very insecure behavior. If you need other people to validate or justify your hobby, are you really having any fun with it?

Last edited:
To me, 1/12 scales seems like such a compromise. I understand that for some people, they save money and space, but is that 1/12 scale figure really the best character representation in your collection? I have previously collected things like Burger King toys or whatever just for the novelty of having them, but those were pennies compared to upwards of 100 dollars or more on a 1/12 figure

Are there dedicated 1/12 collectors, or do you split scales? If possible, I would like to hear from 1/12 collectors and even see a 1/12 display or two if possible
At first for me it was a space and price thing but i see myself getting more into the 1/6 stuff because of detail and accessories. But overall, 1/12 ain't bad, some are great. I collect a lot of wwe figures that are 1/12 scale and I don't really have complaints especially since they're 20 to 35 bucks.

I am a 'statue folk' lol I don't really collect figures any more. I know there is elitism but was just saying it's silly to think one scale is better or more worthy than another
Anything lesser than 1/4 is considered inferior for most statue folks.

I will also add that there is bound to be some bitterness from 1:6 folk regarding 1:12 because companies that used to cater to them abandoned 1:6 to serve the 1:12 market instead.

Case in point: 1000toys started out with their amazing Synthetic human figures, and even back when they had just released their first one or two figures they were promising a female version for us fans. We waited for years. And years. Finally, recently they made it.... in 1:12 scale. They had abandoned 1:6 entirely despite their promises and they instead pumped out 1:12 scale figures. Us OG collectors who jumped through hoops to get every one of their earlier figures were abandoned in favour of the new collectors. It felt almost like a betrayal to some, after all, we had supported the company, helped it grow and proudly promoted their products while also going to see them at events, having drinks with them etc, only for them to essentially dump the 1:6 customers like an ageing wife in favour of the sexy new, younger 1:12 customer base.

A bit over dramatic I know but I was trying to capture the sentiment. It left a lot of us bitter. I know I had been waiting for the female synth since when I ordered their first ever male synth. I guess HT Alita will have to do.
They sell way more 1/12 than 1/6. So its a wise company direction. Synthetic humans are suitable as 1/12 due to being articulated robots.

As for 1/6, i stopped after their Kokto as price seems to have jumped when they released the old giy and gi joes.

Still looking for test type 1/6.

I’ll never understand the argument that 1/12 scale saves money. You pay for what you get, and if you want top quality with tons of variety, 1/6 is generally the only way to go. I’m honestly surprised that if savings really is the #1 goal, LEGO mini figures aren’t the dominating metric (which is also great; people should collect whatever they like!).

If 1/12 scale stuff ever had identical quality to 1/6 products at, let’s say, even 75% of the price, I’d switch over in a heartbeat. If nothing else but to save on closet space from all the boxes I have piled in. :ohbfrank:
Lego minis overpriced for what you get. Those no name lego wannabes are best value.

In terms of details, Limtoys seems to be doing well with metal gear and resident evil. 1/12 is good if you play with them. 1/6 more for displaying.

To me, 1/12 scales seems like such a compromise. I understand that for some people, they save money and space, but is that 1/12 scale figure really the best character representation in your collection?

I have a best guess for this. But obviously it's partially anecdotal.

My take is anyone who grew up in the 80s as a kid and had the 4 inch GI Joe RAH line are more forgiving of the 1/12th stuff. It's major leaps in generational development over ancient classic small Joes. The "frame of reference" is different.

Maybe collectors who are a little bit younger than that, might be more specific about the detail trade offs ( i.e. if all some collectors have known is "high speed" quality control, there is no nostalgia factor involved)

I bought a Titan Heroes 12 inch Captain America on super super clearance. I wanted the shield. I wanted to put different "trophies" in my HT Predator set up. I know those cheaper department store 12 inch Marvel guys are seen as "shampoo bottles" by many collectors. But I wasn't keen on spending 20-25 on a HT Captain America shield just for a trophy. I can weather and paint this one up and spruce it up a little bit.

I like some 1/12th stuff but not all of it. I think you have to pick and choose based on the strengths of the subject matter. I think the Marvel Legends stuff is really well done. Since the "lineup" and character list is robust, it would be tough budget wise to be a completist in 1/6th. Also figure themes with limited accessory loadouts tend to struggle to sell in 12 inch.

A John Wick, a Blade, a Colonial Marine from Aliens, you know those themes will have lots of cool accessories. But a Silk Spectre from Watchmen? Poor accessory loadouts will doom a figure's chance to make it in 1/6th. Let's just be honest, if The Dark Knight wasn't so insanely popular, would they make a Two Face? It's a guy in a suit with a revolver with a spare burned off headsculpt. In 1/12, Alfred from TDK is not such a huge risk to make, but in 1/6th, it needed the incredible popularity of HT TDK plus be hidden in a two pack/set theme.

It's hit or miss. I'm glad the option is available for folks.

The whole 1:12 vs 1:6 debate imo is not much of an issue. Both has its place and purpose and can exist side by side.

What’s more of an issue is 1:12 vs 3.75”/4”/1:18 scale. 1:12 has literally cannibalised 3.75” scale in recent years. Which is such a shame. Unfortunately it is unavoidable. The cost of making a 3.75” figure is almost as expensive as the cost to make a 1/12 but the profit margin is much lower.

The whole 1:12 vs 1:6 debate imo is not much of an issue. Both has its place and purpose and can exist side by side.

What’s more of an issue is 1:12 vs 3.75”/4”/1:18 scale. 1:12 has literally cannibalised 3.75” scale in recent years. Which is such a shame. Unfortunately it is unavoidable. The cost of making a 3.75” figure is almost as expensive as the cost to make a 1/12 but the profit margin is much lower.
1/12 is totally different from 1/18. 1/12 cost 60% of 1/6, 1/18 cost less than 20% of 1/12. When saying the cost of 1/12 is not much different from 1/18 you need to specify which type of 1/12. Full plastic figures yes, full or partially clothed with accurate weapons, cost much more.

1/12 is totally different from 1/18. 1/12 cost 60% of 1/6, 1/18 cost less than 20% of 1/12. When saying the cost of 1/12 is not much different from 1/18 you need to specify which type of 1/12. Full plastic figures yes, full or partially clothed with accurate weapons, cost much more.

Yep definitely plastic figures.

Your cloth outfit 1:12 is something very new and it is more high end for action figures.

In the 1:18 and 1:12 world it is all about plastic action figures sold in Kmart.

Gotta compare oranges to oranges. So I’m comparing plastic 1:12 to plastic 1:18. And I don’t think there’s anything other than plastic 1:18 anyway.

But yeah 1:12 really killed 1:18. Only the hasbor 1:18 vintage is going strong. But even then.

Yep definitely plastic figures.

Your cloth outfit 1:12 is something very new and it is more high end for action figures.

In the 1:18 and 1:12 world it is all about plastic action figures sold in Kmart.

Gotta compare oranges to oranges. So I’m comparing plastic 1:12 to plastic 1:18. And I don’t think there’s anything other than plastic 1:18 anyway.

But yeah 1:12 really killed 1:18. Only the hasbor 1:18 vintage is going strong. But even then.
Joytoy and hiya are making 1/18. I dont see how 1/12 is ruining 1/18. They are more expensive too to own.

Joytoy and hiya are making 1/18. I dont see how 1/12 is ruining 1/18. They are more expensive too to own.

Profit margin is higher for 1:12 compared to 1/18. So manufacturers either stop making 1/18 or they make 1/18 figs that have 5 points of articulation and slap a “retro”/vintage label on it.

The only exception to this is the Star Wars vintage line which is still going strong. But it’s the exception.

Plenty of discussion online on why this is. So I won’t go into the details.

If you think profit margin dictates production then we wont be seeing toyotas on the road we only getting to buy mercedes and other high profit margin vehicles.

The fact that most parents can pay $8 for a 1/18 but not $20 for a 1/12 shows that parents rather not biy than spend so much on the 1/12.
Profit margin is higher for 1:12 compared to 1/18. So manufacturers either stop making 1/18 or they make 1/18 figs that have 5 points of articulation and slap a “retro”/vintage label on it.

The only exception to this is the Star Wars vintage line which is still going strong. But it’s the exception.

Plenty of discussion online on why this is. So I won’t go into the details.

I used to love 1/6, but for me it’s dying.

Smaller scales last longer. I’m sick of coming back to my 1/6 collection to find that a true type body has completely deteriorated, or a shoulder or neck joint has exploded or the pleather or clothing or rubber that I haven’t touched or posed in a decade is flaking and falling apart.

Take Hot Toys Robocop and ED-209 for example. Right out of the gate, Robo is the wrong color, his joint sockets are made of clear plastic which happens to be the most fragile plastic I’ve ever seen on a toy. ED is even worse. Rubber dome and gator sleeves that are destined to look stretched, used and rotting and plastic that is so fragile that one bump is going to crack off one of his fragile little toes. The wiring work companies use for electronic components are absolutely horrid and break down even if you don’t have the batteries in them and don’t use the electronics. 1/6 is not built to last. Mattel Barbie dolls from the 1950s/60s are in better condition than some of the decade old 1/6 figures out there.

1/12 Mafex Robocop and NECA ED-209? No rubber, no faulty joints, have better QC and achieve the same shelf presence as 1/6.

1/6 Star Wars and Terminator are the same way. Look at the main characters, Anakin, Vader, and the Terminator. They’re more fragile (good luck with Vader’s pleather suit, Anakin’s tunic and Arnold’s jackets) and limited with character collection. I’d much rather have a MAFEX Terminator over the Hot Toys offerings. I’d much rather have a line up of unique Hasbro Black Series aliens like Walrus Man, Gamorrean Guard, Bib Fortuna, Figrrin Dan, etc. than Hot Toys’ iffy looking Luke Skywalkers.

There’s more value and quality in 1/12 scale for what you pay. In 1/6, the only way you get good quality is if you pay out the nose for it. Recently I paid $1000 on the InArt Joker. Yes, there isn’t a 1:12 or 1:6 Joker out there that compares to him, BUT I had to drop a grand in order to do it.

Each year, 1/6 becomes increasingly less worth it for me.

I used to love 1/6, but for me it’s dying.

Smaller scales last longer. I’m sick of coming back to my 1/6 collection to find that a true type body has completely deteriorated, or a shoulder or neck joint has exploded or the pleather or clothing or rubber that I haven’t touched or posed in a decade is flaking and falling apart.

Take Hot Toys Robocop and ED-209 for example. Right out of the gate, Robo is the wrong color, his joint sockets are made of clear plastic which happens to be the most fragile plastic I’ve ever seen on a toy. ED is even worse. Rubber dome and gator sleeves that are destined to look stretched, used and rotting and plastic that is so fragile that one bump is going to crack off one of his fragile little toes. The wiring work companies use for electronic components are absolutely horrid and break down even if you don’t have the batteries in them and don’t use the electronics. 1/6 is not built to last. Mattel Barbie dolls from the 1950s/60s are in better condition than some of the decade old 1/6 figures out there.

1/12 Mafex Robocop and NECA ED-209? No rubber, no faulty joints, have better QC and achieve the same shelf presence as 1/6.

1/6 Star Wars and Terminator are the same way. Look at the main characters, Anakin, Vader, and the Terminator. They’re more fragile (good luck with Vader’s pleather suit, Anakin’s tunic and Arnold’s jackets) and limited with character collection. I’d much rather have a MAFEX Terminator over the Hot Toys offerings. I’d much rather have a line up of unique Hasbro Black Series aliens like Walrus Man, Gamorrean Guard, Bib Fortuna, Figrrin Dan, etc. than Hot Toys’ iffy looking Luke Skywalkers.

There’s more value and quality in 1/12 scale for what you pay. In 1/6, the only way you get good quality is if you pay out the nose for it. Recently I paid $1000 on the InArt Joker. Yes, there isn’t a 1:12 or 1:6 Joker out there that compares to him, BUT I had to drop a grand in order to do it.

Each year, 1/6 becomes increasingly less worth it for me.

So... They just needed to be more durable then they’d be golden?

So... They just needed to be more durable then they’d be golden?

Pretty much.

As far as Hot Toys is concerned, I don’t even want to give them my money anymore. When you’re paying premium prices at $300+ for a single figure, they should be using premium materials.

Yes, the detail and realism has improved over the years, but that means nothing if the figure is a shoddily made piece of crap. Each year, they cut more corners. Now figures/vehicles don’t even come in an art box and feel like hollow, cheap bootleg figurines (QS019 Batman, the Tumbler Batmobile, etc.)

That is more HT specific problem. They charge premium prices but use crappy pleather etc. The lack of competitors for so many years meant they got complacent because collectors just bought up all that crappy pleather and rubber. Now that Inart have stepped in (and hopefully other brands like Augtoys etc follow suit) HT has started to improve finally.

Outside of HT over the years there have been some very made 1:6 and some really crappy quality ones, just like every other scale.

Neca have been notorious for their joints breaking, McFarlane has similar rep of snapping joints and iffy design, Hasbro makes some really bone headed decisions with design and often their QC is atrocious etc etc. I think you are focussed on the poor QC of 1:6 because you have a lot of experience with it, but having come from Hasbro, Neca and McFarlane myself I can say 1:6 is no different really, the scale as a whole is a mixed bag just like every other scale.

I refuse to buy pleather and rubber heavy figures and so avoid 90% of all such issues. I have been selling off all my 1:12 and 1:10 and 1:4 stuff over the years as in my experience overall 1:18 and 1:6 have been the best for balancing detail, realism, articulation, sculpting, paint, playability, vehicle play, shelf presence etc etc etc.

Your mileage may vary of course

That is more HT specific problem. They charge premium prices but use crappy pleather etc. The lack of competitors for so many years meant they got complacent because collectors just bought up all that crappy pleather and rubber. Now that Inart have stepped in (and hopefully other brands like Augtoys etc follow suit) HT has started to improve finally.

Outside of HT over the years there have been some very made 1:6 and some really crappy quality ones, just like every other scale.

Neca have been notorious for their joints breaking, McFarlane has similar rep of snapping joints and iffy design, Hasbro makes some really bone headed decisions with design and often their QC is atrocious etc etc. I think you are focussed on the poor QC of 1:6 because you have a lot of experience with it, but having come from Hasbro, Neca and McFarlane myself I can say 1:6 is no different really, the scale as a whole is a mixed bag just like every other scale.

I refuse to buy pleather and rubber heavy figures and so avoid 90% of all such issues. I have been selling off all my 1:12 and 1:10 and 1:4 stuff over the years as in my experience overall 1:18 and 1:6 have been the best for balancing detail, realism, articulation, sculpting, paint, playability, vehicle play, shelf presence etc etc etc.

Your mileage may vary of course
Pleather is pleather. The more realistic you want it to be the more fragile they be. I dont think i have seen pleather in other industry last long. Maybe those car and bike seats but they are very thick which matters as the weakest link is the adhesive on the pleather side and also thinner pleather means the ahesive tend to break down within the pleather.

Same as double sided tapes. Those paper thin one sucks which those thicker ones are durable. But end of the day the adhesive layer can still dry up and fail.

And dont get foolded by real leather. They need to be either full grain, top grain or suede. Most genuone leather are just scrap leather mixed with synthetic materials making them less durable than full pleather since the scrap leather dont bond as well.

Back