HT Batman Begins - Batman/Wayne TF Ex.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what holds the vast majority of customs back from matching HT, in my eyes. Paint work. BobbyC's the only one that has matched it because he casts in flesh-toned silicone. When a custom's cast in plain resin and the paint has to do all the flesh work and whatnot, it never looks realistic. They can't capture the translucent effect of skin, the blemishes, texture, or anything of the sort.

Most people will probably disagree with me on that point, but as good as some of the painters are on here, they'll never be able to match HT until sculptors can cast in softer, flesh-toned material to provide a good foundation to build on with paint.

I totally agree that the texturing of the HTs looks like human skin.

So its actually the material of the sculpt, and not the paint work thats making HT heads looks good? I always thought that JC Hong single handedly brings HT to the no 1 spot in the 1/6 market.

I mean EB have quite a few talented sculptors there, but their factory paint jobs and overall headsculpts are lower than HTs. If it was the material of the head sculpts, they can always use the similar material to HT's?

I would take HT's head sculpt with limited poseability if it were going to look like your custom.

If that HT sculpt and paint app was combined your custom's head/neck being one piece, HT's would've been just as realistic looking if not more than your awesome custom!

Damn it HT, go fuse his neck and head together will ya. :tap

With flesh tones and normal human heads, as a painter myself, the casting material is among the biggest factor in making sculpts look as realistic as HT is making them now.

Basically with a plain white casting resin, you have to cake layers of paint on to achieve the multiple shades and such that go into making flesh tone realistic. That leads to the paint itself kind of looking like makeup, and looking toyish, for lack of a better word.

If you can cast in a translucent, flesh-toned material, you already have the foundation laid and you can focus on blemishes, different tones in the flesh, and all the detail that someone's skin has in it without having to cake on a base layer first. You also have the benefit of that casting having the texturing on it that won't be covered up by a base of flesh paint.

JC Hong is brilliant at the detailing, but once you can actually get the casting material right, it's much easier to make it look good.

Look at what DC Direct has done on their smaller scale figures lately...they've begun casting their plastic in flesh tone and that allows them to create more realistic paint jobs. That alone is a great example of what I'm talking about.

I would take HT's head sculpt with limited poseability if it were going to look like your custom.

If that HT sculpt and paint app was combined your custom's head/neck being one piece, HT's would've been just as realistic looking if not more than your awesome custom!

Damn it HT, go fuse his neck and head together will ya. :tap

I think they are saving the sculpted neck, suited version with PERS for the DX bruce or the TDK DX Bats 2.0 :lol

In hand the neck doesnt really kill the look and the realism, man. Especially if you pose it looking front way. And I'm guessing most people would pose this front way anyways.

I totally agree that the texturing of the HTs looks like human skin.

So its actually the material of the sculpt, and not the paint work thats making HT heads looks good? I always thought that JC Hong single handedly brings HT to the no 1 spot in the 1/6 market.

I mean EB have quite a few talented sculptors there, but their factory paint jobs and overall headsculpts are lower than HTs. If it was the material of the head sculpts, they can always use the similar material to HT's?

I'd say it's a mixture of both, personally. :huh

With flesh tones and normal human heads, as a painter myself, the casting material is among the biggest factor in making sculpts look as realistic as HT is making them now.

Basically with a plain white casting resin, you have to cake layers of paint on to achieve the multiple shades and such that go into making flesh tone realistic. That leads to the paint itself kind of looking like makeup, and looking toyish, for lack of a better word.

If you can cast in a translucent, flesh-toned material, you already have the foundation laid and you can focus on blemishes, different tones in the flesh, and all the detail that someone's skin has in it without having to cake on a base layer first. You also have the benefit of that casting having the texturing on it that won't be covered up by a base of flesh paint.

JC Hong is brilliant at the detailing, but once you can actually get the casting material right, it's much easier to make it look good.

Look at what DC Direct has done on their smaller scale figures lately...they've begun casting their plastic in flesh tone and that allows them to create more realistic paint jobs. That alone is a great example of what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the info buddy:hi5:

I hope EB can get the perfect formula like HTs, so they'll look as good as HTs, for the upcoming 1/4 scale Batman figures.

Which DC direct figures anyways? I'm starting to look for more Batman figures lately to add to my collection, and is pretty interested to these if they are as good as you just said.

Thanks for the info buddy:hi5:

I hope EB can get the perfect formula like HTs, so they'll look as good as HTs, for the upcoming 1/4 scale Batman figures.

Which DC direct figures anyways? I'm starting to look for more Batman figures lately to add to my collection, and is pretty interested to these if they are as good as you just said.

Their Batman Inc. figures are really good. They recently also did a Justice League Icons series that had a good Batman in it.

As far as Enterbay goes, their one "hit" to me as far as head sculpts go, is their Jack Bauer. They nailed both paint and sculpt on that. Look up some close ups of it to see what I mean about casting material. That one was almost flawless.

Their Batman Inc. figures are really good. They recently also did a Justice League Icons series that had a good Batman in it.

As far as Enterbay goes, their one "hit" to me as far as head sculpts go, is their Jack Bauer. They nailed both paint and sculpt on that. Look up some close ups of it to see what I mean about casting material. That one was almost flawless.

Yeah casting material makes a massive difference it seems. Just one look at Adam's silicon paint up joker for Kato versus any other version he has done before proves it for me

This method has made their figures really stand out. I have the World of Krypton Superman in military gear and Blackest Night Hal Jordan and both look fantastic. Its great to see smaller scale figures look good. It makes them worth buying in my book.

Here are some more pics of the HT sculpt.

P1070266.jpg

P1070265.jpg

P1070264.jpg

P1070263.jpg

P1070262.jpg

P1070261.jpg

The pic was just to show the comparison of the bruce sculpts, not to show that the customs is better or vice versa, take what you will from the pics. I like em both, and I didnt intentionally put the one with better lighting.

Theres bound to be some who prefer the HT version and some who prefer the custom version, and its ok to have a different opinions, but why do you have to be so rude and insulting with the name calling? does that makes you feel more superior and macho like your avatar?

I know this is just the net, you can just talk trash and not care. But do you go around with that kind of attitude in real life? wouldnt surprise me if you got beaten up and _____ slapped around quite often.

Out of curiosity, what did that custom end up costing? My guess is about $300.00.

Out of curiosity, what did that custom end up costing? My guess is about $300.00.

Obviously the custom is going to cost more

What i'm more interested in is which looks more accurate and so far there's no doubt for me that Adam's looks far better/more accurate in terms of sculpt. The only thing HT has over it is the paint so i'll be keen to see how it matches up once my custom is painted.

I can understand why most people will prefer to spend $250 on a full figure versus about that much on a custom head which is better than the HT version. And there's no problem with that! For me though i want to have the best possible version of this character so for me it makes sense to spend extra on a custom.

It's all personal preference.

Obviously the custom is going to cost more

What i'm more interested in is which looks more accurate and so far there's no doubt for me that Adam's looks far better/more accurate in terms of sculpt. The only thing HT has over it is the paint so i'll be keen to see how it matches up once my custom is painted.

I can understand why most people will prefer to spend $250 on a full figure versus about that much on a custom head which is better than the HT version. And there's no problem with that! For me though i want to have the best possible version of this character so for me it makes sense to spend extra on a custom.

It's all personal preference.

Headsculpt $65.00
Paint job $80.00
Shirt $100.00
Tie ?
Pants and shoes ?
Body $40.00

My guess looks pretty close.

My version is probably going to be a lot more than that still - what's your point?

No point. If you read my question, I asked out of curiosity. But seems I hit a nerve. Never did I attack customs, I own customs. I've spent hundreds on making them. So what's your point?

I think it's funny I asked the poster of this custom the question, and other's are answering.

Wasn't there a Joker custom HS where the head looked too big for the body. :lol

It's good to see that this Bale looks perfect in size.

I'll say it again, because the way it sits on the neck, that custom looks like a mini human Bale :rock

Where as the HT looks like a great sculpt and paint job and spot on likeness as well but it still looks like a toy representation of Bale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back