Hot Toys The Dark Knight Joker DX/Artisan 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E80EA203-9E26-43A1-ABD2-6B9C6243C0D8.png

I saw a complaint about Joker needing more make-up on Facebook today and it got me thinking about stuff like Jazzinc’s The Batman Batmobile and Mars Toys’ Prank Villains/how there’s a weathered/unweathered version (in the case of the former) and multiple accessory configurations in the latter and wondering how people would feel if companies like IA and HT did smaller runs for each release, but offered different looks/configurations?

IA already seems to be sort of doing it with their multi-packs, but I wonder if we’ll ever get to the point where, rather than waiting a few years between releases to try, say, an interrogation version, Hot Toys just goes out and says “you want Mob Joker? Here he is. Interrogation version? He’s not got the rocket launcher or the grenades, but he comes with a table.” Hell, even DamToys sort of did it with their two different Godfathers.

The more I look at this HT one, the more I'm actually liking it. Maybe even more than my InArt purple suit overall. I know, heresy to say such things but what can you do.

That's not to say I think the InArt is rubbish as there's a lot I like about it and combining the two would make an even better figure in my opinion. But there's something about the HT that I keep coming back to the proto pics to admire.

I admit though, that I'm much more disappointed by the InArt jail set than most so that could be it.

I saw a complaint about Joker needing more make-up on Facebook today and it got me thinking about stuff like Jazzinc’s The Batman Batmobile and Mars Toys’ Prank Villains/how there’s a weathered/unweathered version (in the case of the former) and multiple accessory configurations in the latter and wondering how people would feel if companies like IA and HT did smaller runs for each release, but offered different looks/configurations?

IA already seems to be sort of doing it with their multi-packs, but I wonder if we’ll ever get to the point where, rather than waiting a few years between releases to try, say, an interrogation version, Hot Toys just goes out and says “you want Mob Joker? Here he is. Interrogation version? He’s not got the rocket launcher or the grenades, but he comes with a table.” Hell, even DamToys sort of did it with their two different Godfathers.
I think I would prefer accessory packs and separate upgraded headsculpts, rather than multiple versions at one time.

If they were to do like what you're suggesting, I'd still almost feel compelled to get both so I can have the extras I desired from either set and sell off what I don't want. Or have to battle it out on part out sites upon release which can be as costly or even more than the figure itself.

The more I look at this HT one, the more I'm actually liking it. Maybe even more than my InArt purple suit overall. I know, heresy to say such things but what can you do.

That's not to say I think the InArt is rubbish as there's a lot I like about it and combining the two would make an even better figure in my opinion. But there's something about the HT that I keep coming back to the proto pics to admire.

I admit though, that I'm much more disappointed by the InArt jail set than most so that could be it.

I think I would prefer accessory packs and separate upgraded headsculpts, rather than multiple versions at one time.

If they were to do like what you're suggesting, I'd still almost feel compelled to get both so I can have the extras I desired from either set and sell off what I don't want. Or have to battle it out on part out sites upon release which can be as costly or even more than the figure itself.
Glad we’re taking about Joker again.. I honestly like Hot toys sculpt but to each and their own. At first I wasn’t totally in shock, but after looking at it, I slowly started liking it more.
IMG_8356.jpeg

Really curious how repaints/reworked hair would look like with the HT sculpt and movable eyes.

I agree on the jail cell. It’s cool and there are some amazing features (those forearms had better be a new industry standard going forward), but it’s a huge piece for a relatively insignificant moment. In hindsight, it feels kind of like they were just like “well, people liked our 1/3 scale statue and our 1/4 scale statue, so, let’s just scale them down and that’ll be our package,” but I feel like the interrogation room with that quality and those materials would be a showstopper. I’m also really curious how they adapt going forward with future releases. Like, if they actually did accessory packs, would the heads be somewhat smaller than the ones in this initial release? They seem to really value customer feedback, so, I’m curious how they develop with future releases.

I agree on the jail cell. It’s cool and there are some amazing features (those forearms had better be a new industry standard going forward), but it’s a huge piece for a relatively insignificant moment. In hindsight, it feels kind of like they were just like “well, people liked our 1/3 scale statue and our 1/4 scale statue, so, let’s just scale them down and that’ll be our package,” but I feel like the interrogation room with that quality and those materials would be a showstopper. I’m also really curious how they adapt going forward with future releases. Like, if they actually did accessory packs, would the heads be somewhat smaller than the ones in this initial release? They seem to really value customer feedback, so, I’m curious how they develop with future releases.
I didn't even consider the idea that they might've chosen to go that route for the 1/6 set based on their apparent success with the Queen Studios statue pieces 🤔 I agree, those forearms are pretty cool and the interrogation look and potential dio would've been more interesting even if HT had already done it. It's a more interesting and important scene in the movie aswell.

I could be wrong as I don't pay attention to everything, but I think Asmus is the only one in recent memory to have done upgrade and/or accessory packs. I know HT is sort of doing it with their Grogu in IG set, but you can't just buy the accessories separately. You have to buy the "deluxe" set which includes the Grogu+IG to get the accessories/upgrades for previous figures.

oh yea, completely forgot about that. One might argue that's an exception though b/c it's Iron Man. I think that accessory pack got heavily discounted too though so that might play a factor in their reasoning to not release just accessory packs :lol
I imagine logistically it makes more sense of them to do full figures instead of accessory packs.

Same goes for that IG-12 figure HT is doing. They bundled it with a bunch of S3 stuff that could have just been sold on it's own instead of making people order a $300+ figure. But then I guess you can look at that $150 Grogu accessory pack they did and how little it sold.

Doing accessory packs or separate sculpts would be a lot nicer for us but I kind of see why companies don't do them as much. There's probably also a much smaller margin on the profit for accessory packs.

ig-12-with-accessories_star-wars_scale_64909cac018b2.jpg

I imagine logistically it makes more sense of them to do full figures instead of accessory packs.

Doing accessory packs or separate sculpts would be a lot nicer for us but I kind of see why companies don't do them as much. There's probably also a much smaller margin on the profit for accessory packs.
Spot on.
Why would either company give us everything we need bundled into a nice inexpensive set, on a less popular character? Perhaps, Ledgers Joker? No chance. They purposely drip feed us.
No money to be made that way.

The goal is to sell figures, to remake something and still have it sell with only marginal upgrades here, purposeful errors there. The fact is most people wouldn’t purchase a 2.0 if everything was correct the first go around, or if they thought everything was correct. Companies do this on purpose, always leave room for improvement. If they knock a release out of the park, they’re then having to compete with themselves on a 2.0 and no longer the opposing company. An example of this would be how Apple releases a new phone every year with only slight minuscule upgrades that the average customer has no clue about. If the iPhone 15 or whatever they’ll call it, turns out to be the best phone they’ve made, you can bet the 16 won’t be much of a difference at all.

Last edited:

Same goes for that IG-12 figure HT is doing. They bundled it with a bunch of S3 stuff that could have just been sold on it's own instead of making people order a $300+ figure. But then I guess you can look at that $150 Grogu accessory pack they did and how little it sold.

ig-12-with-accessories_star-wars_scale_64909cac018b2.jpg
For sure. I totally get that and mentioned that Grogu+IG set in a previous post. And you're right, the smaller grogu set sold less as well given how discounted that one is. However, that's HT fault as considering they were including Grogu with every Mando series figure they could so ppl weren't really looking for another Grogu pack. How well the droid set sells might be a good indicator as well. Like always, it can look like lots of ppl are asking for these things b/c they'll be the loudest. But then when you look at actual sales, it ends up not being worth it to the company itself. Probably also why Asmus is doing very small batches of the GtG upgrade heads rather than taking POs. This way they don't end up with overstock from ppl canceling during the PO window.

@Gipetto0812,
Correct, a small company like Asmus can afford to do this because they don’t necessarily have product going out the door on the scale of the aforementioned companies, so any product sold is a win.

Accessory packs are usually reserved for a 3rd party company, Trick or Treat studios did this with their 1978 Myers, because a new figure with the add ons probably wouldn’t sell well for them, given their customers already bought the first release. Their sculpts are really the only thing worth purchasing.

Last edited:
I’d buy an InArt Bank Robber Joker if it included this head.

DBA683A7-2674-468E-98A3-5282BCA19005.png

I’d be happy if they did what Mafex does and include accessories intended for previous releases with new figures. They included a battle damaged armor helmet and kryptonite spear with their Knightmare Batman, which released a couple years prior.

I’d love to see them include accessories like a head with a smiling expression, bazooka, cocktail, shoeblade, etc with either a Bank Robber Joker or even their upcoming Bale Batman. Maybe a deluxe Bale Batman with those included in a separate bundle for those who already have Joker?

As it stands, I’m not going to buy just another purple suit Ledger. The current figure is absolutely fine for me.

I’d love to see them include accessories like a head with a smiling expression, bazooka, cocktail, shoeblade, etc with . . .

As it stands, I’m not going to buy just another purple suit Ledger. The current figure is absolutely fine for me.

If another purple suit Joker came out with a smiling head, bazooka, pipe, cocktail etc. you’d buy one. Most people in here would.

I’d love to see them include accessories like a head with a smiling expression, bazooka, cocktail, shoeblade, etc with either a Bank Robber Joker or even their upcoming Bale Batman.

This DX comes with the shoe blade so you can check that one off your list

Last edited:
oh yea, completely forgot about that. One might argue that's an exception though b/c it's Iron Man. I think that accessory pack got heavily discounted too though so that might play a factor in their reasoning to not release just accessory packs :lol
I feel like it’s to be expected that you’re not gonna make much when you charge 200 bucks for some oversized laser guns and add-ons with nothing to anchor it, though. The selling point, in my mind, is never gonna be an RPG or a couple of Rottweilers, but I see it less as an accessory pack and more as excising redundancies. If they offer one or two heads along with a varied selection of hands or accessories for a bit less than the cost of a full figure, without having to shell out for another body and outfit that you already have, I feel like that would be much more successful than just a run-of-the-mill accessory pack with some guns and Joker cards. Consequently, you could offer the same pack with the suit and body as a whole new release for people who missed out the first time.

Back