Hot Toys The Dark Knight Joker DX/Artisan 1/6 Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@a-dev,

And it doesn’t have to be, buy what you like is always endorsed in my book, but we can all stand to downsize a bit, whether that’s collecting, throwing out furniture, etc.

I’m with you on nostalgia, the Raimi Spider-Man films, 89’ Batman, TDK, Halloween 78’ & 81’ The Shining, Christine, Clone Wars tv show, man the list goes on and on, loved them all growing up.

I’ve just instilled a strict rule in my life to where if a second thought can happen, it’s gone. Heaths’ Joker just won’t go away, ever.

.Did you ever get to sell to that store per this post last year?
I'm still hoping I can sell much of it in bulk although I suspect the store I have in mind is a ''trade for store credit'' scenario which would not suit my needs.
Unfortunately, I didn’t. They’ve grown a lot since the last time I sold them stuff, and b/c of that growth, so has their egos with customer service going in the opposite direction. Long story short, after a very short and rude reply to my initial email, I’ve had to sell it all myself. What’s worse is, after my email, they subsequently put a sign in their store that says “we only buy these” and made a “comedic” social media post about it (which was too much of a coincidence to not be in reply to my email) even though it contradicts what their website says they buy and what they’ve bought from me in the past. So, they’ve lost my business. I was very kind, professional and respectful in my email, so idk why they felt the need to go the way they did. Seemed very childish for no reason at all.
We will see. Ive been moving around since Covid so my collection was never displayed so I personally never enjoyed them.
That’s really unfortunate. A lot of my MCU collection was like that as well which was one of a few reasons I decided to sell them and others for that matter. If you can’t enjoy it, what’s the point of having it. You end up just collecting brown shipper boxes. Ideally, this hobby should be fun the majority of the time.

If you can’t enjoy it, what’s the point of having it. You end up just collecting brown shipper boxes. Ideally, this hobby should be fun the majority of the time.
This -

This right here, this was my entire point from the get go, accidentally steering this thread into a subject completely off topic. If you can’t enjoy it, you don’t need it.

Hopefully @TheBatman can settle in somewhere and devote time to it.

It’s worth it in spades to have a gorgeous display of your prized possessions.

Nick D, did you use a real picture of yourself for your avatar?
Yea I did, I’ve noticed in my time between this forum and the custom 1:6 forum that it isn’t the norm. Although it might not be wise to use your name & photo, I figured I’d be different. For a few years on the custom forum I just used rare photos of Ledgers Joker but that isn’t me, this is.

This -

This right here, this was my entire point from the get go, accidentally steering this thread into a subject completely off topic. If you can’t enjoy it, you don’t need it.

Hopefully @TheBatman can settle in somewhere and devote time to it.

It’s worth it in spades to have a gorgeous display of your prized possessions.
I have to agree. I have bought figures in the past on pre order, waited two years for them and then when they arrive I am no longer interested.

I have decided not to pre order any more figures, except this one. There is something special about this TDK joker character which keeps me coming back to it.

The pre order really is an idiot tax, as Jedha says.

Youtubers, with their glass cabinets filled with figures, are perhaps setting an expectation, intentionally or otherwise, that you the viewer need to buy more figures to keep up and be part of a community.

I appreciate that they are in business to drive demand and if they don't buy and review figures they have no content to sell to us.

Well done Nick for proposing an alternative approach.

I have been reflecting on my own modest collection and have decided to focus on TDK, as it means something to me.

It will mean that I will have to eat some NRD, but it's better than collecting cardboard boxes in my loft.

I am buying less stuff and am happier as a result.

Buy nice or buy twice!
Well, that's the plan anyway! 😉

Last edited:
I have to agree. I have bought figures in the past on pre order, waited two years for them and then when they arrive I am no longer interested.

I have decided not to pre order any more figures, except this one. There is something special about this TDK joker character which keeps me coming back to it.

The pre order really is an idiot tax, as Jedha says.
Yea man, po is a waste of time, unless it’s something you know you want and is going to sell quickly.

If it’s sitting on SS give it time, revisit the actor/actress’s performance, if it captivates you each watch, it’s a good one. If it doesn’t, don’t buy it because you’ll grow apart from it. New films release all the time, easy to get caught into the hype if you’re not careful.

Sick Sabbath shirt.

Unfortunately, unless you have some real grails, I’m finding most MCU stuff is going for below retail so you may not get your money back for each release depending on how much you originally paid.

I’m waiting for the new Xmen ‘92 cartoon to start streaming to sell my Sideshow Xmen figures as I’m thinking/hoping that the renewed interest will, at least temporarily, bring up their value. Right now, the only one that really went up in value is Magneto, followed by EX Cyclops and Astonishing Cyclops. Wolverine and Gambit don’t sell for much at all.

Yea, I didn’t expect to get much for my comics so I just took them to Half Priced books to make the selling easy. I know what you mean about the impulse buys from a comic shop. While I didn’t work at one, my last gf was the manager at the comic shop I used to frequent so I was there all the time buying up stuff b/c she’d let me use her discount :lol lots of comics and statues from DC Direct/Collectibles were bought just b/c of that discount. And I now use graphic novels as gift ideas for ppl when they ask what I want for birthdays/holidays, so no loss of money thankfully.
Facts. I have a whole Amazon wishlist full of graphic novels and omnibuses that I just send my girlfriend every time a holiday’s encroaching. I’m like “pick one.”:lol And yeah, It instrumental in building up my animated collection prior to DC Direct closing down shop(temporarily, I guess). Now I get to start all over again…:lol

Those are all good questions worth looking into. I'm not a psychologist, but I presume that collecting is some kind of mental issue, perhaps an addiction, and like most addictions it can escalate. Maybe we're sick in the head and we do our best to justify it.

I'll give you a personal example of collecting and escalation. As early as I can remember, I was a fan of Rambo. When I was a kid, I had a Coleco Rambo action figure that I used to take with me everywhere until I lost it. By the time I was in college, I found that same figure in the box at a flea market, paid $25 bucks for it. That wasn't enough. When Neca made the Rambo figures, I bought them all. That wasn't enough. Threezero and Hiya toys are also making multiple figures, even Stallone himself made one, so I got them all. That's not enough. I'm also fascinated by the Rambo knife, so 20 years ago I got some replicas by United Cultery, about $75 bucks each. That wasn't enough. About 3 years ago I got new Rambo knives made by the official companies/ knife makers, Lile, Hibben, Pohl Force...etc. That wasn't enough. They weren't accurate enough to the one used in the films, so I found an English knife maker named Andy Wood, he makes the most screen accurate Rambo knives, so I ordered two, from the first and second film. Still waiting for those. Three years and 10 grand later, I'm thinking, how much would an actual screen used Rambo knife cost? 🤔 Will that be enough?

So yeah, dolls with moving eyes and real hair... things keep escalating. We're loco.

johnny bench look GIF
As someone not remotely qualified to do so- let me take a psychological approach to why we collect toys; the greatest recorded inherent psychological difference between men and women is in interest.
Men are more interested in things, women in people, to which the degrees of intensity vary along with significance to a person's choices and outcomes in life.

Therefore, I assert that we are smack bang in the middle of this scale.
We are interested in people and things in equal measure, which is why we have chosen to immerse ourselves in a hobby that turns people into things to be owned, amassed and displayed for our viewing pleasure.

It won't come as a surprise to anyone here that this is a predominantly male hobby, and our nature as visual creatures and a higher probability to be more possessive is what drives the desire to own inanimate representations of people, and put them on display.
Also, the natural human response to never being satisfied with what we have, means we will forever be chasing more. More figures. more accuracy. More!

Or are we just big kids who never put our childhood toys down to embrace more socially accepted adult interests because we’re afraid to let go of youth and progress with our lives. Growing up means taking on responsibilities, often sacrificing personal gratification to better serve those who depend on us, and ultimately dying…
Toys don’t age, and they keep us frozen with them in memories of a time when things were simple, joyful and there was hope for what life could be. A time where Christmas morning was the most anticipated and exciting moment of the year, instead of a formulaic, monotonous obligation.

OK, I’m exposing too much about myself now. Time to go outside.

As someone not remotely qualified to do so- let me take a psychological approach to why we collect toys; the greatest recorded inherent psychological difference between men and women is in interest.
Men are more interested in things, women in people, to which the degrees of intensity vary along with significance to a person's choices and outcomes in life.

Therefore, I assert that we are smack bang in the middle of this scale.
We are interested in people and things in equal measure, which is why we have chosen to immerse ourselves in a hobby that turns people into things to be owned, amassed and displayed for our viewing pleasure.

It won't come as a surprise to anyone here that this is a predominantly male hobby, and our nature as visual creatures and a higher probability to be more possessive is what drives the desire to own inanimate representations of people, and put them on display.
Also, the natural human response to never being satisfied with what we have, means we will forever be chasing more. More figures. more accuracy. More!

Or are we just big kids who never put our childhood toys down to embrace more socially accepted adult interests because we’re afraid to let go of youth and progress with our lives. Growing up means taking on responsibilities, often sacrificing personal gratification to better serve those who depend on us, and ultimately dying…
Toys don’t age, and they keep us frozen with them in memories of a time when things were simple, joyful and there was hope for what life could be. A time where Christmas morning was the most anticipated and exciting moment of the year, instead of a formulaic, monotonous obligation.

OK, I’m exposing too much about myself now. Time to go outside.
I feel like you have allowed me to glimpse into my own heart and mind…. Anyone know where I can buy 1/6 scale versions for one of each?

I’m not complaining about the thread at all but we live on an SSF where you cannot discuss ‘The Batman’ in a ‘The Batman’ figure thread and yet this….
I'm guessing someone PM'd a mod for that discussion otherwise it probably would've been fine. I'm honestly just as surprised as you are that the conversation went as far as it did (and continues to) without intervention.

Last edited:
Back