Hot Toys TDKR: 1/4th scale Batman [QS001] - Full Reveal & Specs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe not. It seems to look better because of the vastly superior mouth and the eyes.

Brows seem improved and not crazy narrow, but again, it might just seem that way.

Brow looks the same to me, but...

The only thing I can tell is look at the nose, the little bulges. Just like the movie.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5879042&postcount=3768

Ah yes, the nostrils. Good catch.

951_batman.jpg
tumblr_mq4gyqfSzf1snogyzo1_500.jpg

I ended up getting rid of my DX12 and glad I did to replace him with this huuuuuuge improvement. I have a Begins Batman to battle all the 1/6 villains but this will be the embodiment of the entire Nolan trilogy (and my first QS) so I think if you got rid of your DX12 and you got this, you wouldn't give DX12 a second thought IMO. In the end I think it comes down to space and preference.

I wanna keep my DX-12. Keep it in the 1/6 scale figure case with the rest of my Batman stuff, then get a separate display case for this guy and display it somewhere nice, as I'm really hoping this is a Batman grail. From the new pictures, might be.

It's supposed to be a culmination of the journey. The masks of the enemies he's conquered. For us they're like trophies. For him, they're symbols of victory. It has nothing to do with what suit he was wearing when he fought or met who, or if Bane's mask never came off in the movie. They're there to commemorate his triumphs. And to me, it's like he's standing atop a mountain. Like he's king of the hill. Even though the base is symbolic of one of the worst times in his life. That itself is a victory as he overcame that too.

Good post.

I usually dislike stands, but I'd almost certainly use this one. It has so much to say rather than just trying to be a tiny diorama.

I usually dislike stands, but I'd almost certainly use this one. It has so much to say rather than just trying to be a tiny diorama.

It also makes it look premium quality. That unique look. With no stand it only looks like a figure. Doesn't pop like a statue.

I wanna keep my DX-12. Keep it in the 1/6 scale figure case with the rest of my Batman stuff, then get a separate display case for this guy and display it somewhere nice, as I'm really hoping this is a Batman grail. From the new pictures, might be.

I'm doing the same. But it's easier for me since dark knight is my main 1/6 collection and don't have much other except iron man Mark vii. So 1/4 would be in separate area.

:goodpost: Hey, bro, I certainly respect priorities. I'm right there with you. For me, it was either get the DX12 and stay with 1/6 scale or pre order this figure, pickup the EB Bats, and go 1/4 only. I chose the 1/4 route. The key to collecting isn't necessarily about having a lot of money (obiviously it helps) it's about spending what you do have wisely. Skipped out on a DX12 (which goes for practically the same price as this guy in certain places) and decided to wait out the 1/4. Patience has certainly paid me back for doing so.

Your patience and faith that they would improve sure paid off. If I saw this figure when they first revealed it, it would have been a much easier decision: ditch the DX12 and flex pay this. But instead, I saw a bigger DX12, so there really wasn't a point.

I ended up getting rid of my DX12 and glad I did to replace him with this huuuuuuge improvement. I have a Begins Batman to battle all the 1/6 villains but this will be the embodiment of the entire Nolan trilogy (and my first QS) so I think if you got rid of your DX12 and you got this, you wouldn't give DX12 a second thought IMO. In the end I think it comes down to space and preference.

Both of these ideas keep running through my head. We'll see which one wins out in the end.

It also makes it look premium quality. That unique look. With no stand it only looks like a figure. Doesn't pop like a statue.

I dunno dude.. Get this guy in the proper lighting, a more "respectable" pose, and let some of these collectors futz him the right way, you may feel differently afterwards.

I dunno dude.. Get this guy in the proper lighting, a more "respectable" pose, and let some of these collectors futz him the right way, you may feel differently afterwards.

Oh it pops. It just looks more "statuesque" with the stand.

That's actually part of the reason I usually don't like stands. Makes a figure look too much like a statue rather than a miniature person. But in the case of this particular stand I may make an exception.

Your patience and faith that they would improve sure paid off. If I saw this figure when they first revealed it, it would have been a much easier decision: ditch the DX12 and flex pay this. But instead, I saw a bigger DX12, so there really wasn't a point.

Of course. It would've been a no brainer. I too saw a bigger DX12. And for somebody who didn't have one, it wasn't nearly as bad as one might think. However, a lot of the problems were quite noticeable. But since beggars cant be choosers, I was willing to look past them. Now, they've simply been exposed 100% with the revealing of the updated figure.

Oh it pops. It just looks more "statuesque" with the stand.

That's actually part of the reason I usually don't like stands. Makes a figure look too much like a statue rather than a miniature person. But in the case of this particular stand I may make an exception.

I agree with that wholeheartedly. I think this one maybe just enough to blur the line between statue and toy without actually crossing it.

Yes, thats what I meant with my popping part. It makes it look complete. Since statues are moulded to the stand.

Sorry. I misunderstood what you were saying.

Of course. It would've been a no brainer. I too saw a bigger DX12. And for somebody who didn't have one, it wasn't nearly as bad as one might think. However, a lot of the problems were quite noticeable. But since beggars cant be choosers, I was willing to look past them. Now, they've simply been exposed 100% with the revealing of the updated figure.

Heh! :D

I think it's inevitable at this stage. They'll no doubt come out with another 1/6 sometime in the near future. You can just feel it. And here so many were buying two's thinking it was the last.

Heh! :D

I think it's inevitable at this stage. They'll no doubt come out with another 1/6 sometime in the near future. You can just feel it. And here so many were buying two's thinking it was the last.

Oh, definitely! I feel really bad, and i do mean really bad for collectors who went through the amount of trouble they had to in order to get DX12 to be a respectable figure. QS001 (provided the updated version will be/is going to be) the mass produced version, is what DX12 could've been..? I'm sorry but that would really chap my *** if I was one of the people who owned that figure. I wouldn't say I got ripped off but I wouldn't turn a blind eye toward saying that it wasn't their best effort. Personally, I would want an updated DX12 2.0 if I was a 1/6 scale guy. I know not all of them will or are even interested in Batman as much but if you got a DX12 you owe it to yourself to get what it should have and could have been.

Your patience and faith that they would improve sure paid off. If I saw this figure when they first revealed it, it would have been a much easier decision: ditch the DX12 and flex pay this. But instead, I saw a bigger DX12, so there really wasn't a point

That's exactly why I didn't initially order the QS and went with the 1/6 Batman. Who knew that Hot Toys would make such a drastic change to this.

Sorry for multi quoting so much, but I've been jonesing for some more conversation about this guy, and, by golly, I wasn't about to miss it.:lol

Oh and, have no worries my fellow collectors. THIS IS what were gonna get.

I'd go as far and positively say the one on display is an actual production piece. We're getting so close to release that there's no way HT are displaying an updated proto.

Similar thing happened with dx07 Luke. Prior to release, the final product was shown at HT japanese store right (or something like that..point is, he was shown)...of,course, due to poor lighting, fans thought they were getting a piece of crap. In the end, we ended up with a fantastic product.

This emotional roller coaster has come to an end and HT are bringing us in for a safe landing. Fear not friends, this IS a production piece. And what we see is what we WILL get.

Mark my word fellas.

I was thinking the same thing, in that I, too, believe it's the final product. If we're right, and it is, I'll be ecstatic. For a guy named batfan08 (because 2008 was one helluva year to be a batfan) to not have a TDK Batman in his collection is sacrilege, but, the fact of the matter is, I didn't, because I wasn't about to be satisfied by something mediocre when I knew, in my heart, that HT could do better, and this proves it, and, in a lot of ways, if they never revisited this version of the character, in either scale, I'd be content.

I would not say no way but I think it would be unlikely to give us something else, however, I would not be surprised.

This is the most impressive thing I have ever seen Hot Toys create, if only they could sculpt Ledger with nearly dead on likeness as this. :thud: Well... maybe they could in this scale.

It's interesting that you mention lighting, I showed these pictures to someone else and they think nothing has changed and it is just the lighting that is making the eyes look more quinty. Not sure I believe that but that thought did cross my mind.

I hope you are right.

It seems that they're not aware that there never was the famous Bale duckface on the original set of faceplates from the original protos, and even the smirking/neutral faceplate (the one on the Sonar Head at the SDCC display) looks waaaay better than the old protos shown. Those are obviously not just lighting. The bat-emblem on the chest obviously has bigger wingspan, too.

EDIT: Sorry, are you just talking about the PERS eyes? Anyway, I think they look much better than the first proto, too, and it's not just lighting.

Yeah, the PERS are definitely different. I've come up with my own measurement system: "if you can see them perfectly in the shadows, he's got googly eyes. If you can't see them barely at all in the shadows, they fixed it.":lol

Jumped on the waitlist for the exclusive and then preordered the regular from BBTS. I'll scrape together the funds for this somehow, as I see this being a grail for a Batman collection.

Yep, it's definitely a grail piece!:rock

The proto came with an open mouth though, but was never displayed and that is another reason people are saying nothing has changed. They say the only difference now is the open face plate has been shown and the lighting is too dark to see the eyes. However, once again not sure I agree but did think that was a possibility. Just like I am not 100% convinced they changed the MOS body but my instincts says they have and it does look obvious but I can't be certain, since Hot Toys promo pics were photo shopped to begin with anyway.

Regardless, whether things have changed or not, the sculpt looks good with the open mouth piece and the fact that you can't see the eyes in what I consider normal light is good enough for me.

I see what you mean.

However, on the original proto shots, you could tell that we're seeing an entirely different faceplate set -- though we still have to see the third one. My guess is that the duckface takes the place of the clenched teeth face, and we are yet to see an angry closed-mouth face. Eitherway, the neutral/smirking face looks better now than the old one, too

PD1343618017p42.jpg

Yeah they do look like different face plates but I can't be 100% certain.

Yeah looks like it.

From what I have seen in the new pics of this face plate on the base is that it does look different as there is no smirk. Looks quite neutral and slightly angry. So you are probably right, well I just hope you are. :wink1:

People that say nothing has changed have terrible eyes for observation.

Eyes are debatable, but other things are obvious.

:exactly:

Yeah especially that smirk mouth plate. I can't see that anywhere, the new one just looks neutral and slightly angry.

Agreed. The faceplates being the most obvious change, it looks exactly like bale now.

The only evidence you need is what Snoop mentioned. What once was Tom Hardy is now Christian Bale.:lol

Agreed. I'm just happy and a little surprised that for once, i'm finally more excited about an open mouth faceplate than any of the others. Might be the default one I go to. I know we haven't seen any of the others (being used on the figure) but if that "mouth breathing" isn't Bale I don't know what is. With the modified cowl and eyes, that faceplate is, dare I say it, near perfect imo.

Looking at this thread has become torture. The only way I could seriously entertain getting this would be by selling of my DX12 first. But then, I'll have all these 1/6 TDK figures and one giant bat. Batman vs. the munchkin rogues.

First world problems. :lol

Well, to be fair, Batman is the largest character in the films (TDKR showed that Batman, as a symbol, is greater than any Gothamite.

You're definitely missing the point.

:lecture

And no, you are not overanalyzing it.

This thing actually looks even better under a flash. That's a very good sign.

Definitely. Considering the fact that flash usually provides the most unflattering view of a figure, that is definitely a great sign.

I hope that aside from the open mouth piece it also includes the pissed off closed mouth piece as well. Updated, of course.

Me too. However, at this point, It could come with one headsculpt and one faceplate. I'd still be chomping at the bit. Everything besides the figure itself is merely icing on the cake for me.

I'd be surprised if it still didn't come with the standard 3 face plates.

Well, we've seen the open mouth and regular/calm look. The only other one left is the angry one. Unless I missed it somewhere in the pictures, it's the only one not shown yet. I would imagine it'll be in there. The other 2 standard ones are present.. :dunno

Don't be surprised it's not there because they are reworking it and get another surprise on delivery.

Back