Hot Toys Spider-Man (Tobey Maguire) - Spider-Man: No Way Home

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish people would stop posting GIFS, shows how cheap this looks by comparison.
The vast majority of high end collectibles look cheap when compared to their actual live action counterparts. I think we're just wowed when we first get into the hobby and then carry that first impression, even when we can subconsciously tell that these aren't as life-like as we pretend. I got into these to buy the best possible representations, but lately, more and more look just like oversized Hasbro and Mezco figures.

Such a high price...and USA is in a recession... Oh the times!!!
Oh, if recession was the only problem...

Tell me about it. I want to PO some figures but you never know if youre gonna need that money in case things go south
Buy high, sell low, feel the remorse when the walls close in because you spend it all on dolls. WHAT A 1/6TH LIFE!

mads-mads-mikkelsen.gif

The vast majority of high end collectibles look cheap when compared to their actual live action counterparts. I think we're just wowed when we first get into the hobby and then carry that first impression, even when we can subconsciously tell that these aren't as life-like as we pretend. I got into these to buy the best possible representations, but lately, more and more look just like oversized Hasbro and Mezco figures.

Oh, if recession was the only problem...

Buy high, sell low, feel the remorse when the walls close in because you spend it all on dolls. WHAT A 1/6TH LIFE!

mads-mads-mikkelsen.gif
Which is why I've got over a dozen Queen Studio pieces on preorder. And as good as some of their life size busts, 1/2 & 1/4 scales are, they're still not 100%. But they're probably as good as we're going to get.

Somehow HT thinks these 2 suits look the same.
“Authentic” likeness.

View attachment 591680View attachment 591681
One looks like good cosplay, the other looks fake and as if Tobey's head is floating. 300$ dolls and modern blockbusters everybody!

Which is why I've got over a dozen Queen Studio pieces on preorder. And as good as some of their life size busts, 1/2 & 1/4 scales are, they're still not 100%. But they're probably as good as we're going to get.
I should've specified "figure-wise". As a kid there weren't a lot of pop culture based action figures around, so when I found these high end toys, I said "this is it". Each figure would represent something different, and that way I could both have the most relatistic interpretations available, and I'd be able to fill that figure-sized hole in my inner 6 YO's heart. But it's a whole lot more complicated than I thought.

One looks like good cosplay, the other looks fake and as if Tobey's head is floating. 300$ dolls and modern blockbusters everybody!

I should've specified "figure-wise". As a kid there weren't a lot of pop culture based action figures around, so when I found these high end toys, I said "this is it". Each figure would represent something different, and that way I could both have the most relatistic interpretations available, and I'd be able to fill that figure-sized hole in my inner 6 YO's heart. But it's a whole lot more complicated than I thought.
Which is partially why on top of statues, I still collect Hot Toys figures. Best of both worlds.

I just checked the AUD price on Sugo Toys. 480?? Yeesh! The deluxe version is 760! I just forked out a lot to get the DX08 so I'm probs gonna cool it on the spending and pre order this later on. I love the figure though.
Sugo is my go to for HT figures in Australia. I pre order all my HT from them as they have a limited time where it’s usually around $40-$60 off. Plus I deposit directly into their account so that nets me an extra 3% off (usually a further $11-$14 off).
But at the moment, HT prices are just starting to irk me quite a bit. I’ve taken the liberty to post all the HT figures I have PO’d at the moment and how much they cost… all are in AUD:

709.95 Carnage
599.95 Green Goblin
559.95 Dead Doctor Strange
509.95 Doc Ock
499.95 Buzz Lightyear
499.95 Mighty Thor [Jane Foster]
489.95 Spider-Man [Toby]
474.95 The Scarlet Witch
449.95 Morbius
449.95 Spider-Man [Andrew]
429.95 Sylvie
419.95 Thena
409.95 Electro
409.95 President Loki
399.95 Moon Knight
399.95 Shang Chi
399.95 Wen-Wu
389.95 Gilgamesh
379.95 Kate Bishop
379.95 White Vision
339.95 Taskmaster

I purchased Cable and Captain America [Falcon] from Sideshow as my last figures to ever buy directly from them… only because I had points to spend. For me, Sideshow doesn’t really work for me if you live in Australia.

Sugo is my go to for HT figures in Australia. I pre order all my HT from them as they have a limited time where it’s usually around $40-$60 off. Plus I deposit directly into their account so that nets me an extra 3% off (usually a further $11-$14 off).
But at the moment, HT prices are just starting to irk me quite a bit. I’ve taken the liberty to post all the HT figures I have PO’d at the moment and how much they cost… all are in AUD:

709.95 Carnage
599.95 Green Goblin
509.95 Doc Ock
499.95 Buzz Lightyear
489.95 Spider-Man [Toby]
474.95 The Scarlet Witch
449.95 Morbius
429.95 Sylvie
419.95 Thena
409.95 Electro
409.95 President Loki
399.95 Moon Knight
399.95 Shang Chi
399.95 Wen-Wu
389.95 Gilgamesh
379.95 Kate Bishop
379.95 White Vision
339.95 Taskmaster

I purchased Cable and Captain America [Falcon] from Sideshow as my last figures to ever buy directly from them… only because I had points to spend. For me, Sideshow doesn’t really work for me if you live in Australia.

I don't think there's ever been a single Hot Toys preorder that I couldn't get cheaper from Popcultcha over Sugo. But of course I stack an additional 10% discount. And with Popcultcha not having the former cut off period for early preorder discounts anymore, it's much easier to stack an additional 10% off.

Of course I have bought a few Hot Toys pieces from Sugo, as on a few occasions when an item becomes in stock at Sugo the price has plummeted (from their own listed price that they originally used for preorder) by more than 30%! Such as the two life size Nano Gauntlets and a few of the die-cast figures such as the EG Rescue and Iron Patriot. So whenever that happens I cancel my order with Popcutcha.

Note that for dollar value I have most of my money tied up with Sugo, as I primarily have my Queen and Infinity Studio preorders with them.

709.95 Carnage
599.95 Green Goblin
509.95 Doc Ock
499.95 Buzz Lightyear
489.95 Spider-Man [Toby]
474.95 The Scarlet Witch
449.95 Morbius
429.95 Sylvie
419.95 Thena
409.95 Electro
409.95 President Loki
399.95 Moon Knight
399.95 Shang Chi
399.95 Wen-Wu
389.95 Gilgamesh
379.95 Kate Bishop
379.95 White Vision
339.95 Taskmaster

Oh wow that is a lot of money. They currently have the deluxe base for 680 instead of 750 which is pretty good. I might try and go for that pre order for tobey (the standard one) as soon as i can. I don't think it will sell out in Australia, but i don't know for sure

Also, how much did figures cost in Australia 5 to 6 years ago or maybe even later?

Oh wow that is a lot of money. They currently have the deluxe base for 680 instead of 750 which is pretty good. I might try and go for that pre order for tobey (the standard one) as soon as i can. I don't think it will sell out in Australia, but i don't know for sure

Also, how much did figures cost in Australia 5 to 6 years ago or maybe even later?
If you go back far enough, the Aussie dollar was once at parity with the US dollar. When I started collecting 7-8 years ago collectables were much cheaper in Australian dollar terms, but now with the Aussie dollar being below 0.70........

I don't think there's ever been a single Hot Toys preorder that I couldn't get cheaper from Popcultcha over Sugo. But of course I stack an additional 10% discount. And with Popcultcha not having the former cut off period for early preorder discounts anymore, it's much easier to stack an additional 10% off.

Of course I have bought a few Hot Toys pieces from Sugo, as on a few occasions when an item becomes in stock at Sugo the price has plummeted (from their own listed price that they originally used for preorder) by more than 30%! Such as the two life size Nano Gauntlets and a few of the die-cast figures such as the EG Rescue and Iron Patriot. So whenever that happens I cancel my order with Popcutcha.

Note that for dollar value I have most of my money tied up with Sugo, as I primarily have my Queen and Infinity Studio preorders with them.
I might just wait till popcultcha puts it up then. Sugo toys is way more expensive for the green goblin deluxe (760) and popcultha got it for like 540.

If you go back far enough, the Aussie dollar was once at parity with the US dollar. When I started collecting 7-8 years ago collectables were much cheaper in Australian dollar terms, but now with the Aussie dollar being below 0.70........
And yeah i had a feeling they were cheaper back then, just wasn't sure by how much

Back