Hot Toys Spider-Man (Andrew Garfield) - The Amazing Spider-Man 2 [NWH]

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What? Just going with their last 3 releases, with Cad Bane, Fennec and Koska are fantastic and have all been highly praised.
I wouldn’t necessarily say Koska Reeves but only because of the horrible body that the figure has. The headsculpt is amazing, though.

Any idea why Garfield didn't allow it? Dude you're in a spiderman movie :ROFLMAO:
I actually assumed if you agreed to take a Disney/Marvel gig you basically had to agree to likeness rights for merch. Garfield must have got a special deal to get him to agree to come back.

To be honest... I am just happy they made Andrew at all, considering it didn't see like it was going to happen
for a while and not having to spend extra $$ on one of the originals.
That's was my original thinking as well. But I'm tired of settling on mediocrity (no matter whose fault it is) and just being "grateful" something was released. These things are getting more and more expensive to just being happy with whatever they throw at you. At least, that's my perspective. That's not to say I'm not genuinely happy with some releases that others may feel are phoned in. But, if in the back of my mind, I buy a figure that I KNOW I'm not happy and excited for, it's 100% of the time going to eventually get sold.

Last edited:
You guys must have not been around for all of the likeness rights drama; Hot Toys didn't do a new and improved figure and head because they literally aren't allowed. Garfield won't license his likeness. So they must've found a loophole where they could at least reissue their old Amazing Spider-Man figure unchanged and under that branding to at least offer fans something.
I'm aware. I actually thought the sculpt wouldn't been included at all but I think I was confusing that with the SHFiguarts of him.

Honestly I'd think it would have been better to just not include one if they were gonna do that. :lol

It would have been nice if they just axed the crappy sculpt and focused on actually making the suit accurate and more well done. Instead we're just left with an overall half assed effort of a figure.

You guys must have not been around for all of the likeness rights drama; Hot Toys didn't do a new and improved figure and head because they literally aren't allowed. Garfield won't license his likeness. So they must've found a loophole where they could at least reissue their decade-old Amazing Spider-Man figure unchanged and under that branding to at least offer fans something.

So it's a garbage release, but it's not because they didn't 'attempt' or phoned it in - they literally legally couldn't offer anything better.

Well this is true….for the sculpt.

Doesn’t explain the shoddy suit and rubbish proportions however.

What? Just going with their last 3 releases, with Cad Bane, Fennec and Koska are fantastic and have all been highly praised.
I think some people tend to forget how many figures Hot Toys actually releases. There are some that aren’t as good but there are quite a few they do really well. People just like to focus on the ones that aren’t as good.

I actually assumed if you agreed to take a Disney/Marvel gig you basically had to agree to likeness rights for merch. Garfield must have got a special deal to get him to agree to come back.
Both Tobey and Garfield had special deals if I remember correctly. Tobey got an exuberant amount b/c he knew they wanted, or rather NEEDED, him in the movie and waited them out until they agreed to his price/fee/terms.

I'm aware. I actually thought the sculpt wouldn't been included at all but I think I was confusing that with the SHFiguarts of him.

Honestly I'd think it would have been better to just not include one if they were gonna do that. :lol
Would've been a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. If no headsculpt was included, there would be complaints that the other's got an unmasked headsculpt but ASM figure didn't. HT did the best they could with the rules they were under (for the headsculpt) but unfortunately, it still sucks.

Agreed! :lecture could've still been a pretty great figure had they updated what they actually could work with outside of the headsculpt.

Would have just wanted this in 1/6:
9i8rE7i.jpg

How hard would it have been for them to at least ATTEMPT to match that sheen that Garfield has on his suit.

It's what makes his suit different from Tobey and Holland. Include these unique qualities that makes each suit stand out from the rest. Sucks because this is probably the last Hot Toys Garfield figure we'll get and they just half ass the entire thing.

How so? Cad Bane, Fennec Shand, Koska Reeves, DX Mando Luke, DX Bespin Luke, DX Ahsoka, '84 WW, TVA Loki, President Loki, Cyborg are recent production releases that have all been pretty much well received by most collectors. Not sure how that constitutes as a "losing streak" :dunno
I'm not really in the Star Wars fandom so I've not seen most of them, so perhaps my statement was more of a case of what I've seen - ie. This, atrocious Supergirl sculpt, the hideous WB100 metallic blue Batman, the Flash Batfleck Batman's hideous design, ATSV cheap looking Spider-man 2099, ATSV Miles poor proportions, Reuse of Rocket Raccoon etc.

I'm not really in the Star Wars fandom so I've not seen most of them, so perhaps my statement was more of a case of what I've seen - ie. This, atrocious Supergirl sculpt, the hideous WB100 metallic blue Batman, the Flash Batfleck Batman's hideous design, ATSV cheap looking Spider-man 2099, ATSV Miles poor proportions, Reuse of Rocket Raccoon etc.
Understood. But also some clarity - given your statement seemed to be in reference to the final product release of this figure, my understanding was that you were saying recent final products were the losing streak, which is why I gave examples of other figures that have come out looking fantastic.

I agree with your statement regarding recent prototypes that have gone up for PO (though they've already mentioned that ATSV 2099 spiderman will be updated) being less that stellar. But, for products that have actually been released, HT is far from a losing streak.

Would have just wanted this in 1/6:
9i8rE7i.jpg

How hard would it have been for them to at least ATTEMPT to match that sheen that Garfield has on his suit.

It's what makes his suit different from Tobey and Holland. Include these unique qualities that makes each suit stand out from the rest. Sucks because this is probably the last Hot Toys Garfield figure we'll get and they just half ass the entire thing.
Yeah we've seen other figures like Endgame CM which had that kind of metallic red sheen, so not sure why they couldn't do it here.

But that said, this still looks like an improvement over the original version with the wonky body, and the RCN sculpt should improve it even more, so I'll be keeping my order.

Back