Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If thats true... then he should have been put down. The dog would have had a nicer life without that clown. Be better of with somebody that would have really appreciated the dog. Such a waste of life.

Too sarcastic for my liking.

It's freaking not right!

Unacceptable.

Ain't that the truth.

Those men that dress up as girls? It looks like it's going to blow a kiss. ¬_¬

The Carl Weathers one looks fantastic though.

You're kidding...

HT rubber deterioration issue and the future

I opened up this thread becasue there are MANY new HT figs on the horizon that many of us are gonna put down big bucks on in the next few months.

While many of us followed the "oil issue" in HT's Dark Knight figures, I had hoped this was an isolated incident, but I have just seen a few new threads on how the rubber parts from the Watchman Comedian and the Alien Dallas figures are beginning to deteriorate and fall apart. I am appalled that a company like HT can let down its fans in such a way. These are expensive collectors items and we deserve better.

I dont mean to instigate a fight, its just that as a 1/6 collector, i REALLY want to know if HT will continue to go down this path, or fix these issues. I for one am now VERY weary of picking up HT figs beacause of what might happen to them in a few short years. Which is a shame beacause theyre products are incredible.:monkey2

Re: HT rubber deterioration issue and the future

Im with you my friend I just got a deal for a Leonidas...Im afraid it may deteriorate in a near future. HT should fix this in future releases.

Im with you my friend I just got a deal for a Leonidas...Im afraid it may deteriorate in a near future. HT should fix this in future releases.

I agree. while some dont like it, the Alien big chap is one of my favorites and I would hate to see it falling apart in a 2-3 years

I think I speak for myself and everybody else on this board that it is unacceptable and you are exactly correct. For the amount of money that we are putting down on these figures, we deserve top quality products that aren't a short-term investment.

Personally, I own a Dutch, Demon Batman and two King Leonidas' in regards to rubber bodies and these are some of my grails..words wouldn't be able to describe how I'd feel if they were destroyed in only a few years time.

Well i aggree with you on that one , whats the F%$KING point of buying figures that have Issues with the rubber if they're just gunna break down in a few years . Its just a waste of Money IMO , but ya know what we will still keep buying them cuz there ain't no cure for the disease we all have - PLASTIC CRACK ADDICTION

Well i aggree with you on that one , whats the F%$KING point of buying figures that have Issues with the rubber if they're just gunna break down in a few years . Its just a waste of Money IMO , but ya know what we will still keep buying them cuz there ain't no cure for the disease we all have - PLASTIC CRACK ADDICTION

Given what has started happening with HT figures now, I'll soon be changing my addiction back to the dear old Porcelain crack. Boy! Is this waste of your hard earned money! Is this what you get in a few days for a $200 worth figure? Its a shame! Don't know if our voices will be heard, but I hope it sure does...

On second thoughts, would the 'melting' thing happen to only those figures which are not displayed in a temprature controlled environment? Or it doesn't matter..

Deterioration of rubber components is a bummer for sure, but isn't the alternative that Hot Toys stops trying to innovate with materials and technology altogether? Don't they have to at least try to explore the possibilities afforded by different materials?

I think it is unreasonable for consumers on the one hand to be demanding constant improvements with these figures, only to complain when one or two things don't turn out well.

I must be one of the few people who thinks that these things don't actually cost a lot of money considering what we get in most cases: beautifully crafted and sculpted figures, great tailoring, cool accessories and appealing boxes.

I think Hot Toys collectors have been spoiled. I'm not saying they can't improve, but improving seems to be exactly what they are doing with each and every release. Aren't they?

Deterioration of rubber components is a bummer for sure, but isn't the alternative that Hot Toys stops trying to innovate with materials and technology altogether? Don't they have to at least try to explore the possibilities afforded by different materials?
Quite the opposite, since rubber has been used so much in the past, doesn't a move toward something other than rubber actually constitute innovation? The flexible PVC torso covers are a reflection of this. As is the joints in conjunction with rubber arms in the past to reduce the incidence of ripped joints, and a move toward sculpted muscles (a la Bruce Lee and the T1 T-800).

I think they have made great strides, and I'm crossing fingers that the Green Lantern won't be a huge step backward using rubber.

I've come to accept the fact that my Hot Toys Alien figures will crumble away at some point in my life. I'll just enjoy them for now.

I don't see the reason HT keeps putting rubber parts on their figure bodies. They can cast them up in a harder plastic similar to the muscle body's arms and it would last much much longer. The only thing is you will lose the neck articulation which i could careless about. Not sure how they could handle it for the full suits but for me personally i dont need my figure to have rubber feeling skin.

Quite the opposite, since rubber has been used so much in the past, doesn't a move toward something other than rubber actually constitute innovation? The flexible PVC torso covers are a reflection of this. As is the joints in conjunction with rubber arms in the past to reduce the incidence of ripped joints, and a move toward sculpted muscles (a la Bruce Lee and the T1 T-800).

I think they have made great strides, and I'm crossing fingers that the Green Lantern won't be a huge step backward using rubber.

We're saying the same thing I think? My point was that HT is constantly trying new things, and in hindsight, some of those things didn't turn out as well as they'd hoped. I doubt we would've seen the innovations you mentioned without them first having made a few mistakes along the way.

As a bit of a Bruce Lee fan, I'm interested in how they'll treat their apparently seamless BL body.

Last edited:

Proof people, proof. A few people with problems doesn't prove anything. I would like to see more than one photo of various Hot Toys figures falling apart and crumbling away. The DX Batman did have some issues with the suit leaking baby oil, but not all of them, and as for the rest . . . there are no photos or verifiable patterns of any problems of the rubber degrading. Even if a few people come forward with reports and PHOTOS of damaged parts, that still doesn't mean it has anything to do with the rubber Hot Toys have used or the manufacturing process. Who really knows what sort of conditions people expose their figures to. HT makes a few thousand of each figure, and we would have HUNDRED, if not THOUSANDS of reports and PHOTOS flooding in about these problems with figures. You would have to be stupid to believe that these figures are going to fall apart on you because a few people are say it will. Don't worry about it.

Proof people, proof. A few people with problems doesn't prove anything. I would like to see more than one photo of various Hot Toys figures falling apart and crumbling away. The DX Batman did have some issues with the suit leaking baby oil, but not all of them, and as for the rest . . . there are no photos or verifiable patterns of any problems of the rubber degrading. Even if a few people come forward with reports and PHOTOS of damaged parts, that still doesn't mean it has anything to do with the rubber Hot Toys have used or the manufacturing process. Who really knows what sort of conditions people expose their figures to. HT makes a few thousand of each figure, and we would have HUNDRED, if not THOUSANDS of reports and PHOTOS flooding in about these problems with figures. You would have to be stupid to believe that these figures are going to fall apart on you because a few people are say it will. Don't worry about it.

No one is stupid on this board, were just having a civil discussion. This isnt meant to bash HT only so we can discuss what is unfortunatly becoming an issue with HT products as the years pass.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHFDa9efCQU"]YouTube - ‪Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy‬‏[/ame]

I love HT. I think a lot of us here do. But something should be said about QC and CS. As Lejuan pointed out we do get a lot for what we have spent you can tell that, but it is frustrating to think that it could fall apart in the future. Every company looks to make money and and they look for ways to save on cost. This leads me to believe that sometimes cheaper alternatives will be used to deliver the final product. Why are my Hans Landa hands stained? My T2 Arnold's hands are fine. The same faux leather, or leather seems to be used in both, so what happened, why the staining? As far as the TDK issue, I bought one on ebay and the seller claimed that out of the lot that he had sold only 1 had the oil problem...well mine must have been #2. I tried to have HT fix the situation, but they wouldnt replace the body for me. I still love HT and think their overall product is amazing, im not trying to flame, but these issues exist and one would hope that there could be resolution in the end.

Back