Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: HT rubber deterioration issue and the future

Proof people, proof. A few people with problems doesn't prove anything. I would like to see more than one photo of various Hot Toys figures falling apart and crumbling away. The DX Batman did have some issues with the suit leaking baby oil, but not all of them, and as for the rest . . . there are no photos or verifiable patterns of any problems of the rubber degrading. Even if a few people come forward with reports and PHOTOS of damaged parts, that still doesn't mean it has anything to do with the rubber Hot Toys have used or the manufacturing process. Who really knows what sort of conditions people expose their figures to. HT makes a few thousand of each figure, and we would have HUNDRED, if not THOUSANDS of reports and PHOTOS flooding in about these problems with figures. You would have to be stupid to believe that these figures are going to fall apart on you because a few people are say it will. Don't worry about it.

The proof is in the chemistry. Like it or not; believe it or not, but all rubber deteriorates. Just because every person who's had problems hasn't posted on this particular website, don't for a second assume that means the problem isn't widespread.

Proof would be ed-209. The upper dome was rubber stretched over a plastic form. The rubber has rotted on many of these to the point you can find people selling resin replacement domes.

All rubber deteriorates and shrinks eventually.

Proof people, proof. A few people with problems doesn't prove anything. I would like to see more than one photo of various Hot Toys figures falling apart and crumbling away. The DX Batman did have some issues with the suit leaking baby oil, but not all of them, and as for the rest . . . there are no photos or verifiable patterns of any problems of the rubber degrading. Even if a few people come forward with reports and PHOTOS of damaged parts, that still doesn't mean it has anything to do with the rubber Hot Toys have used or the manufacturing process. Who really knows what sort of conditions people expose their figures to. HT makes a few thousand of each figure, and we would have HUNDRED, if not THOUSANDS of reports and PHOTOS flooding in about these problems with figures. You would have to be stupid to believe that these figures are going to fall apart on you because a few people are say it will. Don't worry about it.

Are you trolling or seriously trying to be offensive?
I suggest you go and read the Batman DX02 residue thread, or the Mars Attacks thread or the Rocky thread, the Robocop thread, Watchman thread etc.
There were so many Bats sent back to HT that they stopped replacing them. The Mars Attacks figures elbows have cracked when left untouched for a few months.
What kind of proof do you need? Everyone to send you their rotting toys?

Yeah, there are no problems at all with rubber bodies. Happy collecting, bye bye now.:slap

Last edited:
The Comedian figures are starting to leak now.

Soon they will rot too.

I love my Comedian figure:monkey2

The proof is in the chemistry. Like it or not; believe it or not, but all rubber deteriorates. Just because every person who's had problems hasn't posted on this particular website, don't for a second assume that means the problem isn't widespread.

Take a look at this

This whole rubber / oil / body thing is quite confusing. So, can anybody help with making it clear which are the 'rubber' figures from HT. I know that the DX Bats and (now) Comedian is. What about Thor? Most of all, what's the strange need of having oil in a body which already has 32/35 points of articulation? I understand DX Bats being body and suit with oil in between, but what's up with the other figures?

the oil is part of the rubber. it's what keeps the rubber from drying out and rotting apart.

it is GOING to evaporate, or leak out, slowly over time. as this happens the rubber will start to get brittle. this IS GOING TO HAPPEN, PERIOD. on most of the figures, this happens slowly. on DX batman, for some reason, it happened very quickly.

Any figure not on a truetype body from hot toys has SOME rubber parts. on the t-800, wolverine, percious bodies, it's JUST the upper torso above the stomach.

on the dutch body, it's the entire torso and arms.

on the billy body, it's the same, more or less.

Hope that helps.

the short version is: Muscle bodies and rubber suits suck, and HT NEEDS to stop using them ,.

the oil is part of the rubber. it's what keeps the rubber from drying out and rotting apart.

it is GOING to evaporate, or leak out, slowly over time. as this happens the rubber will start to get brittle. this IS GOING TO HAPPEN, PERIOD. on most of the figures, this happens slowly. on DX batman, for some reason, it happened very quickly.

Any figure not on a truetype body from hot toys has SOME rubber parts. on the t-800, wolverine, percious bodies, it's JUST the upper torso above the stomach.

on the dutch body, it's the entire torso and arms.

on the billy body, it's the same, more or less.

Hope that helps.

the short version is: Muscle bodies and rubber suits suck, and HT NEEDS to stop using them ,.

Thanks for the info. Got a better understanding now. Just POed DX06 Jack Sparrow; hope it does not have this issue, else it'll be awfully messy! :horror

This whole rubber / oil / body thing is quite confusing. So, can anybody help with making it clear which are the 'rubber' figures from HT. I know that the DX Bats and (now) Comedian is. What about Thor? Most of all, what's the strange need of having oil in a body which already has 32/35 points of articulation? I understand DX Bats being body and suit with oil in between, but what's up with the other figures?

I think there's a bit of confusion.

The rubber bodies break and crack from dust, stress, etc. Posing the elbows too far causes undue stress on the joint which causes the suit itself to crack and break. Rambo II, Sarah Connor, etc., are examples of this. Unfortunately, THIS IS THE NATURE OF RUBBER and those who want this level of realism just need to accept this. Thankfully, HT has moved away from this with cleverly hidden sculpted joints and PVC torso pieces to cover neck and abdominal articulation.

The suits are another story entirely. The process HT uses to make the rubber suits is flawed. They aren't cured long enough and the chemicals used to make the rubber, begin to break down and deteriorate. This causes the suit to fall apart. Wiping it away causes the suit to dry out. Leaving it causes the suit to become over-saturated in the leaky areas giving sculpted details a "melted" effect. It was first noticed with the DX02 and currently is an issue with the Comedian. Thor owners should be worried as well.

Anyone with even a basic science degree in this thread? I'm not denying that there is the potential for problems under the right conditions, but, if you want to be taken seriously, you need to have photos and verifiable reports from people that are experiencing problems, and more than half a dozen. The onus is on you to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it's Hot Toys or whoever's fault. Talk is cheap, you need to PROVE that there actually is a defect that will affect everyone that has purchased a specific figure.

A good chunk of people that purchase these types of figures are on this forum, but, there just aren't enough people coming forward with verifiable information. There is more talk than cold hard facts. I'll take the issue more seriously when an avalanche of people come forward all expressing and showing photos of damage, that IS proof that there is a genuine problem that isn't related to abuse of some kind or other. I'm not making any specific accusations against anyone, but there has to be more proof. With indisputable proof you CAN get Sideshow and Hot Toy (and other distributors) to do a recall and refund your money.

If 'rubber' is something that worries you: If you can't afford to lose the money you are spending on collectable, then you really shouldn't be spending the money on them in the first place. I enjoy the figures for what they are and am not overly concerned that anything bad will happen to them. I have a larger collection of statues and even they will probably deteriorate somewhat over time. Just don't buy this stuff if it worries you that much, because nothing in this price range is really designed to lasts forever, that's just a fact of life.

Nobody will listen or take you seriously if you can't get organized and provide enough VERIFIABLE evidence to support the accusations.

Anyone with even a basic science degree in this thread? I'm not denying that there is the potential for problems under the right conditions, but, if you want to be taken seriously, you need to have photos and verifiable reports from people that are experiencing problems, and more than half a dozen. The onus is on you to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that it's Hot Toys or whoever's fault. Talk is cheap, you need to PROVE that there actually is a defect that will affect everyone that has purchased a specific figure.

A good chunk of people that purchase these types of figures are on this forum, but, there just aren't enough people coming forward with verifiable information. There is more talk than cold hard facts. I'll take the issue more seriously when an avalanche of people come forward all expressing and showing photos of damage, that IS proof that there is a genuine problem that isn't related to abuse of some kind or other. I'm not making any specific accusations against anyone, but there has to be more proof. With indisputable proof you CAN get Sideshow and Hot Toy (and other distributors) to do a recall and refund your money.

If 'rubber' is something that worries you: If you can't afford to lose the money you are spending on collectable, then you really shouldn't be spending the money on them in the first place. I enjoy the figures for what they are and am not overly concerned that anything bad will happen to them. I have a larger collection of statues and even they will probably deteriorate somewhat over time. Just don't buy this stuff if it worries you that much, because nothing in this price range is really designed to lasts forever, that's just a fact of life.

Nobody will listen or take you seriously if you can't get organized and provide enough VERIFIABLE evidence to support the accusations.

:wave While I'm certain HT appreciates the pole squatting, not only have they acknowledged the problem, but they've replaced several figures with these issues and assured DCD (untruthfully) that they had been fixed for the DCD run of the DX02. Nobody's taking you seriously. The problem has been well documented (a simple websearch would've provided thousands of hits on the topic). Maybe you should do a little "scientific research" so you at least have a clue about what you're discussing. :wink1:

Last edited:
I have searched and I find very little verifiable evidence, no photos. Even Judge Judy would throw it out in a heartbeat. Nothing in the Sarah Connor thread, or the Mars Attacks. Nothing on other forums, except for the same people that are posting here, for the most part. So, what are you talking about. :cuckoo: But, I guess you would rather we spend out money on air soft, huh?

Last edited:

:lecture I guess you can call me stupid then because both my RE Chris & Sheva have rubber cracked elbows. I knew it would happen sooner or later and I'm willing to accept it rather than whine about it. But I guess I should have nothing to worry about because YOU know what' you're talking about :clap

I though so. :slap:slap:slap

So you defend your position with laziness? Do a web search for "DX02 leaking" and see for yourself. Or head to the Comedian thread in the DC section and check out the last 10 pages. While you're in the DC boards, do a search for "Is your DX02 Leaking?" and check out the thread with hundreds of pics and thousands of posts. OR, keep doing nothing and defend your poll squatting ignorance with more:

035ostrich-head-in-sand_468x538.jpg

Back