Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing that worries me is my Phicen body. Does baby powder actually help (it came already covered in some sort of white powder)? I dont put it in crazy poses though.
Honestly i have couple of Street Sharks figures and they don't have any problems with rubber parts, so i guess it's the matter of quality...

Silicone which is what TBL/Phicen uses should be more stable than rubber. I think the powder is mostly to give it a more skin-like look and feel.

The only thing that worries me is my Phicen body. Does baby powder actually help (it came already covered in some sort of white powder)? I dont put it in crazy poses though.
Honestly i have couple of Street Sharks figures and they don't have any problems with rubber parts, so i guess it's the matter of quality...

the powder is either byproduct, or used to protect the body from catching dust or reaction with the tray.

The powder on the TBL bodies is essential — without it, the body is sticky as hell. It also protects it. If you have to clean it (for whatever reason) use a fine brush to wipe off lint, etc. if you have to wash it gently with water, be sure to reapply either Baby Powder or Corn Starch. Spread it around to remove any streaks, but make sure to get it everywhere. And, yes, do not leave them in overly extreme poses for long.

Thanks for advices everybody!
(i also heard you can use the duct tape to quickly remove some tricky dust that got stuck on the Phicen body)

I think for my situation, it's more a paranoia thing to try and protect my figures. Not had a single "deterioration" issue yet on anything you'd expect. Just see images of flakey leather, stretched costumes and broken through rubber elbows. Want to do what I can to prevent, just incase. Cases are fully sealed unless a door is open, out of sunlight. Bit of dust over a few months can accumulate but I dust with a make-up brush (Mrs not happy with that one).

Might try and chose a test figure to see what the 303 stuff will do. Worried about what'll happen is I coat more than just the pleather as I'm sure a lot of you know, Hot Toys tends to not wash lock in colours on cloth.
Am curious if the 303 would help a Spiderman outfit though but I only got the one and he's not going to be a guinea pig lol.
Only have one rubber body to so nervous on a test for that.

Anyone else feel it's pretty crappy that we have to just accept how fragile these expensive items are ?. Have to hold majority of outfits is a basic pose or they'd stretch to much, pleather is going to rot within years, necks have a good change to get stained. Sucks.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

Thanks for advices everybody!
(i also heard you can use the duct tape to quickly remove some tricky dust that got stuck on the Phicen body)

don't do that, chances of the adhesive on the tape get stuck on the body is very high. i would rather just wipe the surface with my wet finger, seriously, just make sure your finger is clean. any dust on microfiber fabric will just go on instead. i did clean out the powder on the black african body because unlike lighter skinned body the powder really shows.

I think for my situation, it's more a paranoia thing to try and protect my figures. Not had a single "deterioration" issue yet on anything you'd expect. Just see images of flakey leather, stretched costumes and broken through rubber elbows. Want to do what I can to prevent, just incase. Cases are fully sealed unless a door is open, out of sunlight. Bit of dust over a few months can accumulate but I dust with a make-up brush (Mrs not happy with that one).

Might try and chose a test figure to see what the 303 stuff will do. Worried about what'll happen is I coat more than just the pleather as I'm sure a lot of you know, Hot Toys tends to not wash lock in colours on cloth.
Am curious if the 303 would help a Spiderman outfit though but I only got the one and he's not going to be a guinea pig lol.
Only have one rubber body to so nervous on a test for that.

Anyone else feel it's pretty crappy that we have to just accept how fragile these expensive items are ?. Have to hold majority of outfits is a basic pose or they'd stretch to much, pleather is going to rot within years, necks have a good change to get stained. Sucks.

Sent from my M2007J20CG using Tapatalk

yes just like leather belts and wallets, they won't last forever unless it's genuine leather, and well maintained. with real leather, you would be thinking about mold growths...

even if you seal it in vacuum chamber it will still deteriorate. applying 303 or whatever just protects the surface, won't stop humid and oxidation from happening from the inner side which i believe is what accelerated the deterioration, as the inner side is usually fabric thus easier for water to enter/escape, thus deteriorating the adhesives used to bind the pleather surface & fabric base.

well your entitled to your own opinion.
i know i personally would prefer not to see thousands of dollars turn to dust.
i would rather sell them all than do that.
I agree. I'm gutted to have spent the amount of money I have only tp disco er the rubber cracking and splitting. Wtf... waste of time and money.

Back