Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What case?

judgejudy02.jpg

R,
There are quite a few threads on HT rubber issues. You seem VERY upset and uniformed over an issue that many 1/6 collectors are quite familiar with. Those posting here are obviously familar with the issues and if you are not, do a quick search to become informed.

Why should I be upset if i don't have any problems? It's going to take more than a few people to prove that Sideshow or Hot Toys have a problem with their products. We need more photos and evidence, something that is sorely lacking from the argument. Why hasn't sideshow and all the other manufacturers gone out of business if it affects all of us. :slap People will complain and show photos if it's such a widespread problem, you can bank on it.

Anyways, after my elbows cracked on my RE figures, I decided to dispaly them with their arms down instead of "posing" to relieve the stress on the joints. I remember another freak here posting a picture of his Sheva with the elbows so badly damaged it looked like Jaws attacked her!

Reaktwon, props to you for debating the same argument in two threads simultaneously.

Personally I am not fussed about deterioration either, it'd spoil the reason why I collect these figures in the first place.

But... even though I've only been collecting for a bit over a year, still newb status, I've done enough reading of these threads to know that folks are having problems with a number of figures doing exactly what most people here are debating you on. Just because the majority may not be posting pics as evidence, I don't really believe that folks are getting their rocks off by fibbing about their dollies.

Reaktwon, props to you for debating the same argument in two threads simultaneously.

Personally I am not fussed about deterioration either, it'd spoil the reason why I collect these figures in the first place.

But... even though I've only been collecting for a bit over a year, still newb status, I've done enough reading of these threads to know that folks are having problems with a number of figures doing exactly what most people here are debating you on. Just because the majority may not be posting pics as evidence, I don't really believe that folks are getting their rocks off by fibbing about their dollies.

Hey, I'm not denying that there can be potential problems with these figure, we just need to get our ____ together if that is the case. If we can all expect our figures to rapidly deteriorate, then we need to build a solid case and get on Sideshow and the companies that are releasing defective products. We need to take names and verify the problems with detailed photos, so, that we have enough evidence to make a watertight case for a recall and refund. I don't have any problems with any of mine at the moment, but, if there truly is a problem related to the materials being used, we need to deal with it in the right way.

Hey, I'm not denying that there can be potential problems with these figure, we just need to get our ____ together if that is the case. If we can all expect our figures to rapidly deteriorate, then we need to build a solid case and get on Sideshow and the companies that are releasing defective products. We need to take names and verify the problems with detailed photos, so, that we have enough evidence to make a watertight case for a recall and refund. I don't have any problems with any of mine at the moment, but, if there truly is a problem related to the materials being used, we need to deal with it in the right way.

You're about six months behind on that. There've already been organized reports on HT's Facebook page with pics of leaks on the DX02, which spawned Milk to get involved and resulted in HT issuing replacements after customers jumped through ridiculous hoops. HT's turned down any chance of the same with the Comedian due to how long ago he was released. But if you weren't lazy, and took the time to investigate it before talking out your ass, you'd already know this. :huh

If Hot Toys was ever going to recall a figure that was pretty much universally defective, I wouldn't have two Aliens Warriors with broken ankles right now. QC on that figure was horrible and they didn't do anything about the issues people had with them.

Your posts did suggest that you didn't think there was as widespread a problem with rubber deterioration as people made out. But if you're saying that putting together a dossier of evidence would be a way to hold companies to account, I'm not sure that's realistic as it seems to me that the chances of a recall or refund on purchases are zero - HT didn't yield over the DX Bats debacle and in that case there was an overwhelming demand from collectors that they make things right.

The problem with doing as you suggest is that rubber-deterioration takes time. By the time a figure starts to break down, the horse has already bolted and even if HT wanted to, they wouldn't be able to re-release figures or replace faulty parts. And they are not at all obliged to provide a refund outside of their nominated replacement period. All warranties work this way to an extent.

Me personally, I hold to the view that any manufacturer worth their salt is driven as much by pride and integrity in their products as they are by good old fashion profit. HT are leading innovators, and innovation comes with risks. I think they recognise the issues with past figures and seek to rectify the issues with how they develop subsequent figures, rather than retrospectively fix things via refunds and re-releases.

I just wish that they would use better quality on some of their parts, and this issue wouldn't be a problem. If they use junk to save money, then it will be junk that eventually breaks down. Maximizing their dollar is what they are after first, what you think comes second. I ditched my HT Batman Begins Batman because I was worried about having it split on me, rendering it useless eventually.

Your posts did suggest that you didn't think there was as widespread a problem with rubber deterioration as people made out. But if you're saying that putting together a dossier of evidence would be a way to hold companies to account, I'm not sure that's realistic as it seems to me that the chances of a recall or refund on purchases are zero - HT didn't yield over the DX Bats debacle and in that case there was an overwhelming demand from collectors that they make things right.

The problem with doing as you suggest is that rubber-deterioration takes time. By the time a figure starts to break down, the horse has already bolted and even if HT wanted to, they wouldn't be able to re-release figures or replace faulty parts. And they are not at all obliged to provide a refund outside of their nominated replacement period. All warranties work this way to an extent.

Me personally, I hold to the view that any manufacturer worth their salt is driven as much by pride and integrity in their products as they are by good old fashion profit. HT are leading innovators, and innovation comes with risks. I think they recognise the issues with past figures and seek to rectify the issues with how they develop subsequent figures, rather than retrospectively fix things via refunds and re-releases.

Well, I'm not really sure how the few can speak for the majority with regards to a figures problems. And I don't honestly believe that Sideshow and Hot Toys (or any other company) would risk destroying their loyal customer base, just so they could cover their asses with such and obvious problem, if that were the case.

These companies are in it for the long haul and any major production problems would destroy their credibility and reputation. The tone of conversation from some is more along the lines of it is happening, rather than, do you think it might happen?

All I'm reading so far is that IT IS happening and we should all panic and get mad about it, and why don't they change things. But, it's still a case of only a handful of people who are reporting damage (without any photos, in most cases) and not hundred/thousands of people reporting that there is actually something to be genuinely worried about, as you would reasonably expect.

All my figures are still perfect and I'm obviously not in the minority, or, this thread and forum would be flooded with photos and reports of problems.

Back