Hot Toys rubber deterioration

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have Hot Toys Rambo figures - almost all of 'em muscular rubber bodies - and I never.. NEVER HAD TO WORRY ABOUT DETERIORATION.
I have accepted the fact that these are action figures. They will not last a lifetime, probably not even half.. So I pose them, make dioramas & practice photography by doing so.

I handle them with care once I "play" with them, but when I am done, they are placed back on the shelf and my life goes on. I enjoy this hobby, but at the same time, I know that a lot of things are just more important in life to worry about this. :)

It seems that part of the problem to me is that a lot of folks "play" with these figures enough to add some initial wear and tear. When I got my Hot Toys Leonidas I posed him in a very basic stance, no stress on the rubber at all, whereas a lot of people posed him in all these poses the paper tells you not to. A lot of pic threads in general for Hot Toys have people undressing the dolls, swapping out the different heads over and over etc. You don't realize but every bend, pull and stress can wear down the material. And this is only a guess but I assume the more you handle these items, the more oil from your hands gets onto the rubber, surely this causes issues long term.

I open mine, choose a pose and to the shelf it goes and I leave it alone.
I got to think that treating it like a high dollar item helps the life of the item.

It seems that part of the problem to me is that a lot of folks "play" with these figures enough to add some initial wear and tear. When I got my Hot Toys Leonidas I posed him in a very basic stance, no stress on the rubber at all, whereas a lot of people posed him in all these poses the paper tells you not to. A lot of pic threads in general for Hot Toys have people undressing the dolls, swapping out the different heads over and over etc.

I open mine, choose a pose and to the shelf it goes and I leave it alone.
I got to think that treating it like a high dollar item helps the life of the item.

there's still problems with some figures even if they were not handled much like the T-800 a number of peeps here said they just display him as is and the metal pieces of the jacket falls off.

Figures falling apart as you un-box them is an issue. Figures deteriorating over time is the price we pay for having nice pieces of art displayed out of their respective boxes.

I have a Hot Toys Robocop, ED-209, Batman Begins, Dark Knight Batman, Iron Man MK III, and a DX02 Batman that used to leak oil.

All of them look as good as new even though they come out of the box the day they arrive and stand on shelves with no protection.

Same here.. My Hot Toys figures are on a shelf with no glass casing surrounding them, just away from sunlight. :lecture

I have a Hot Toys Robocop, ED-209, Batman Begins, Dark Knight Batman, Iron Man MK III, and a DX02 Batman that used to leak oil.

All of them look as good as new even though they come out of the box the day they arrive and stand on shelves with no protection.

I built a plexi case because one of my HTs is the Dark Knight and I have an old house (dusty)

But I think I've been inspired to build a UV shielded and pressurized enclosure and fill it with argon gas. I'm also going to add a retina scanner and security camera. Anyone with an unrecognized eye scan will drop into the shark tank.

My HT Rambo deteriorated. But I think HT have come a long way since then with their muscle bodies. That said, none of them will last forever and other, cooler collectibles will come along to take their place on my shelves.

I built a plexi case because one of my HTs is the Dark Knight and I have an old house (dusty)

But I think I've been inspired to build a UV shielded and pressurized enclosure and fill it with argon gas. I'm also going to add a retina scanner and security camera. Anyone with an unrecognized eye scan will drop into the shark tank.

I tried that but my sharks all dried out and cracked. They could never drive the stupid tank, anyway. :dunno

You guys are asking for trouble with all these silly methods or funky chemical based products you want to apply to them

The answer is simple. Keep them out of sunlight and KEEP THEM NEUTRALLY POSED. that's it. Don't bend the elbows so it creases or pulls ot touches rubber to rubber. Don't force anything. Keep it simple and neutrally posed when you're not playing around with it. Thats all you need to know. Ive never had a problem with neutrally posed figures

This reminds me of a friend of mine who had best chef in Europe cook at his house one evening. He wanted to be able to impress his friends with what was cooked, so rather than eat any of it he encased the whole 7-course shebang in clear acrylic. I have to say it all looks fantastic.

This reminds me of a friend of mine who didn't want to see his dog grow old. So he had the dog put down, stuffed it and now has it in the corner next to the fireplace.

He's had that stuffed dog 18 years now, and that dog hasn't aged a day in all that time.

You've got some screwy friends... ;)

those who have the Rocky Hot Toys how is the rubber bodies like, are there any deterioration problems cracking for some o fyou?

Back