Hot Toys Royal Guard

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i picked another of these up yesterday from a local Zing store in here in Aus.
$308AUD.
Ordered another but doubt it will come through.

I recently noticed slightly different design in Rogue One. Different holding and their free hand is also outside the robe. I like that more, makes more sense outfit like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently noticed slightly different design in Rogue One. Different holding and their free hand is also outside the robe. I like that more, makes more sense outfit like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I think the RO filmmakers used one of the exhibition costumes as reference - those have slits for both arms. In ROTJ they only have the slit at one side. The two-slit version of the robe must have been a replacement robe made later.

It makes more sense to have both hands available, but I do kind of like how they toss the cape over one shoulder to fight like they do in the ROTJ deleted scene where they see some action.

The robes with the openings for both arms are prequel versions of the royal guards seen in Episodes 2 and 3, and looks like the exact same version used in rogue one.

Took the full ten days but I finally got an answer from Sideshow. Sounds like they’re just mailing a replacement robe so at least I don’t have to worry about shipping the figure back. They didn’t even ask me to destroy the stained robe (at least yet).

Hey, quick question. Are the ankles loose on these? I have two and they can barely stay standing

Yeah, I think it's because the boots are a pretty soft pleather (the more rigid pleather on boots like Tarkin help support the ankle.) It's a bummer, but they really aren't figures that need extreme action stands - seems like 90% of people do the "standing guard" pose where the ankles are probably okay even if they are kinda loose and yeah, obviously use the stand.

I’ve been thinking about picking up another one of these to make a custom Operation Cinder Android. Has anyone seen a custom of that already?

BBTS had these available again, so I figured...better take the plunge before they are gone.

HT-ROYAL GUARD-002.jpg

Initial impressions good. Was really wrinkled right out of the box, but most of them smoothed out by hand. At a quick look tonight, I'm not seeing any of the dreaded "black dots" - I'll have a better look in daylight. But so far, so good. Really like the great sheen on the helmet. My main motivation on picking this one up is that I'm a huge fan of the "Crimson Empire" comic series from many years back. While the underlying outfit doesn't really look much like what they wore under the robes, what is there is more than expected.

I'm going to get a better look tomorrow and perhaps try some dynamic poses and see if that will provide any good subjects for some shots...

I got two guards loaded with dots. The dots do fully come out with water. I cleaned with a q tip and water mine and had sideshow sent me two replacements. They crammed them in a box which was ridiculous but I steamed them and packed them away. Would have been cool if they neatly folded them ffs lol. Anyway these figures are beautiful.
30d97ad5b88f7593bbcc595b4d68d5b2.jpg
045c034245cc3810d8a3e5bb28732c58.jpg
b7a151eb30736077d1a2be3cbbcf1af3.jpg
c0a5dd178dd57cb98be456285c20f6c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I got two guards loaded with dots. The dots do fully come out with water. I cleaned with a q tip and water mine and had sideshow sent me two replacements. They crammed them in a box which was ridiculous but I steamed them and packed them away. Would have been cool if they neatly folded them ffs lol. Anyway these figures are beautiful.

Man that's terrible service.

Wow that’s crazy. Would’ve been better if they send it through a registered letter instead of that big box they mangled them in. Doesn’t seem like Sideshow really cares about the things they ship... They definitely don’t promote Sideshow’s reputation when they do this practice. Annoying to say the least, since these aren’t stuff you buy at H&M.

Thrown in a box just like that? Disappointing. They could have used a nice padded envelope and folded them at least a bit. Oh well, glad it is all right in the end.

Had a closer look today...

I'm enjoying it. So far, only a couple issues I've read about in here have popped up for me. I have two of those "white dot" areas on the robe front. Being this late to the game, I've got some digging to do in this thread to find out how people contended with that (water? padded ironing?-don't remember but I'll dig a bit). This figure also has the weakest ankles of any HT figure I've every encountered! Heck I though I was dealing with an older SS figure for a moment. Once I take a few more shots, I'll find a static pose and leave him in it.

Here's another shot for tonight...

HT-ROYAL GUARD-005.jpg

I am digging the materials...the cape smooths out pretty well on it's own (still a few stubborn wrinkles I'll probably wet or iron out depending on the advice I find in here)...I like the weight and structure of the outfit underneath the robe. It provides a great contrast to that "royal" candy red of the outer robe. The "suede" boots look and feel good, but like the early pleathered efforts from HT, they have no rigidity and take some maneuvering to get the awkward creases and buckling to not look so bad.

He's a red-hot cat on the shelf, that's for sure. I'll enjoy snapping some more shots of him before he settles into the display.

Back