1/6 Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

My Deluxe arrives Wednesday. I thought the table was a nice bonus, so for me, it’s worth it. Plus, I can’t wait for friends to come over, look at the hologram setup, and ask why anakin is performing favors for Sidious.

Well that makes it totally worth it then. :D

Re: Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

That's a question of personal opinion. If you think you could use the generic looking baby Luke, or the hologram table, then sure, its worth it. If neither of those extras interest you, then no, its not worth it. Id think only your own personal view on those can decide if the deluxe is worth it. It's no secret what makes up both releases. Go to the sideshow page, look at the comparisons, then decide for yourself which one you want. Ill never understand people asking strangers to make up their minds for them when dealing with "should I buy "x" or "y"?

For the record, i did pick up the deluxe. Dont care at all for the baby Luke part, but felt the hologram table was cool enough to justify the purchase.

I would add that if you think there is even a chance you will ever want to sell it's almost always worth getting the more robust version.

Who's picture is this? Did Marf take that?
If I remember correctly, it may have been MasterSide.. not sure though. I saved it a few weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My impression as well. Based on the majority of pics I've seen this could be one very bland and generic looking figure on display, and I'd almost rather put that money toward something like the Patrol Trooper instead.

I'm really hoping it does look this good in hand (and not just in closeup), and it just ends up being one of those figures like the Emperor or ROTJ Luke that's really hard to photograph well.
That's my guess. It takes the right camera to pull out the finer details.

In preparation for the HT Obi, I boxed up my SS and threw it in the closet lol. I'm so ready to have the HT pair together. FINALLY.

And to people saying it looks generic, please behold the picture below. He looks absolutely stunning. Will have mine in a week!
13ae6e5b039db7228413676d29359a58.jpg

It looks exactly like the prototype HS in Secret Base.

It looks exactly like the prototype HS in Secret Base.
I know! HT are blowing away these prequel sculpts! Just need him and Dooku to have my early RotS duel display. That is still one of my favorite duels in all of SW. So many layers to that fight.

-The first time we see a war veteran Anakin at his prime and at his full power as a Jedi.
-The start of Anakin embracing the Dark and getting his revenge for his hand.
-Anakin surpasses Obi-Wan in this fight (Obi-Wan is literally tossed aside). I always saw this as symbolic of Anakin's opinion of the Jedi changing from admiration to more of hindrance. This becomes obvious when he isn't made a Master.
-And then for Dooku, he starts the fight thinking he is playing a part, but by the end of it, he realizes he was the one being played. This was an audition for Anakin to replace him and you get a feeling he was about to say something to out Palpatine before he gets beheaded.
-You can feel when the momentum of the fight changes. Dooku goads Anakin to use the Dark Side during their blade lock and it ends up being his down fall. So in a sense, Dooku helps push the scales and create Vader.

Some of George's best work, and I actually prefer it to the Obi-Wan duel in some ways because it doesn't feel as heavily choreographed. It feels like a legit fight. Its quick, visually stimulating, and isn't drawn out.

Didn't plan on expounding so much but I figured this is the best place to talk star wars lol.

The one thing that still has me holding onto this order is all the cool poses I'll be able to put him in. Hopefully that will make up for the underwhelming sculpt...

79324181-d1e1-47b6-aeb0-fee1ffe48755.jpg

Hot Toys - MMS477 / MMS478 - Star Wars Episode III: Obi-Wan Kenobi (Std & Dlx)

I need to re-watch the PT I think. It's been a while.

I think from normal viewing distance the sculpt will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got mine today! So far fairly happy with it. Sculpt isn't perfect, but Ewan is there at the right angles. Pretty good articulation.

Though it seems to have a tough time staying on the stand, as the boots just slide all over the cover.

Also does anyone know if Sideshow would replace the name plate for mine? It looks like mine had the metal part glued on upside-down on the plastic tab that plugs into the stand itself.

Hi. I made some Photoshop tweaks over the Obi sculpt. This shows the slight tweaks that would have made it a better/perfect portrait in my opinión. I made the goatee a bit longer, the moustache sides too, i made the head a bit narrower, lowered slightly the hairline, added a bit more eyebrows at the top and lighter hair color at the beard moustache. Also slight ginger tone to the hair. Finally i filled the lower lip muscles.
Are just slight changes but makes the difference in my opinion. The sculpt is very good but that lip throws likeness. Is a pity that are not easy fixes

obi comp.jpg

Just filling the lower lip part would do the trick.

Just filling the lower lip part would do the trick.

NOt easy as it would need re sculpting that area. Just painting over it is not enough

I think I'll have to settle for just lightening up the hair and beard on mine. And maybe filling in whatever few wrinkles there may still be around the eyes.

I meant Photoshop.

Not my photo, but I saw this on FB and thought it looked really good. It's one of the first shots from a distance where the sculpt doesn't look super generic and Sideshowish to me. So maybe it's just a matter of finding the right kind of light.

60970844_1317032275125200_1345886937742835712_n.jpg
photo by Steve Armstrong

Nobody thought the scupt was bad, garbage or anything after many beautiful pics posted here by folks who got Obi soon...exept for initial freakouts because of those disastrous blogger pics.

Back