Hot Toys MMS429 - Return of the Jedi Luke Skywalker

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
some nice shots of this figure. I'm just hoping SS or another studio does a "good" rotj luke 1/4 (XM you should be hearing this). So far I have been very meh on the 1/6 offerings (even though some of these mods and changes are inticing).

One thing I would like to see in all these outfit/body/fat-suit mods is how the figure looks in a neutral/straight-arms pose fully facing the camera. With the slight 3/4 angles and the bent arm poses it makes it harder to see what's been changed.

The issue I've had with many of the fat-suit and other mods is it creates a bagginess under the arms (between under-arms and pectoral area) and the "Points" of the shirt shoulders hang slightly below the figure's shoulders.

That looks great Agonistes86! Nice mods.

Great pics Agonistes86! Your Luke looks perfect to me!

agonistes86's does it again.
That's astonishing - well done.

Nice shots guys and Agonistes’ mods are looking very cool especially the subtle facial mod :clap

Thanks guys! I'm reading Heir to the Empire at the moment (first time), so I've been in an OT mood a lot lately. :)
The eyebrows are quite easy to do. I used the tamiya soot weathering. Just use a thin brush, wet it a bit, run it over the color. Then wipe most of the color off the brush, and paint the subtle lines between the brows. I took me 3-4 attempts to get right, but you can always just remove it all with water if you applied too much.

One thing I would like to see in all these outfit/body/fat-suit mods is how the figure looks in a neutral/straight-arms pose fully facing the camera. With the slight 3/4 angles and the bent arm poses it makes it harder to see what's been changed.

The issue I've had with many of the fat-suit and other mods is it creates a bagginess under the arms (between under-arms and pectoral area) and the "Points" of the shirt shoulders hang slightly below the figure's shoulders.

Yeah the bodysuit is still far from perfect. What actually bothers me most is the length between the collar and sleeves - it's way too long. This makes the shoulders appear wider than they are. I'd like to change it, but that unfortunately far exceeds my sewing skills. Bringing in the sleeves closer would also mean the sleeves have to be lengthened, or the arms shortened, so that the cuffs can still cover the wrists.
At the end of the day, posing and futzing is what helps most to conceal these things. I won't pose him standing straight on with arms straight to his sides anyway, so you always have room to play with his overall appearance to hide some of these things.

At the end of the day, posing and futzing is what helps most to conceal these things. I won't pose him standing straight on with arms straight to his sides anyway, so you always have room to play with his overall appearance to hide some of these things.

Absolutely fantastic tips or more accurately, words to live by! My HT collecting started in 2012 and ramped up rather quickly with doing kitbashes, MINOR painting, sewing and modding. Anyone remember the Stealth Cap with MOS body? Obviously, I was cutting fat suits, padding shoulders using my dremmel for all kinds of “hard mods” but over the past few years I just stopped and try to work with what the figure has (within reason). In my opinion, posing is the best way to hide most of the inaccuracies of most figures and with this one, I just threw on his cloak, folded his hands (going to see Jabba) and called it a day.

I absolutely respect and love the time and effort that you all are putting into getting your figures to look the way you want for the scene you want but I rarely do anything myself now. Sure I’ll swap heads and maybe use my heat gun to get a certain piece of plastic bent or steam the fabric to get wrinkles out but that’s about it for me so I really enjoy seeing the work put into the modern figures to get them over that 90% accurate hump!

Great work everyone!

Here's mine, although I don't think I ever slimmed down the arms for some reason, and probably need to go back and do that (since they really stand out to me in a neutral pose like this). Although with the sleeves being a bit too long I suspect there will still be some bunching up around the wrists unfortunately.

20190128_181600.jpg

That does look nice, but you still see that bagginess under the armpits and the shoulder "points" of the shirt dropping below the shoulders.

This pic is mine straight out of the box with really no futzing other than putting it into the pose. Maybe I got a slightly better fatsuit placement or something but it has never bothered me enough to mess with it, mostly because the fatsuit modded figs never seemed to be enough of a noticeable improvement.

The key issue is that distance between the shoulder seam and the neck, which there's not much you can do to fix without major sewing skills.

I would love to see you take a shot at fixing this like what you did with tightening the Leia Hoth outfit.

KUIUzS2.jpg

Yeah I agree the shoulder seams should be moved inward some more, but to redo that I'd have to unstitch a whole bunch of other stuff first, since the arms are one of the first things you put on when making a shirt. And I don't really want to take things back that far. ;)

Here's mine, although I don't think I ever slimmed down the arms for some reason, and probably need to go back and do that (since they really stand out to me in a neutral pose like this). Although with the sleeves being a bit too long I suspect there will still be some bunching up around the wrists unfortunately.

View attachment 442005
Yours looks beautiful. One of the best I've seen on the forum. What's your recipe? Did you do anything to the fatsuit?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Thanks. I removed the upper part of the fatsuit, took in the sides of the tunic, and stitched the tunic to the padded pants to keep it taut. Probably some other stuff too, but that was many mods ago so I can't remember exactly. :p

Yeah I agree the shoulder seams should be moved inward some more, but to redo that I'd have to unstitch a whole bunch of other stuff first, since the arms are one of the first things you put on when making a shirt. And I don't really want to take things back that far. ;)

Didn't you tighten the whole Leia Hoth jumpsuit?

Moved my HT Jedi Head over to my Jabba Palace display Jedi Luke. Sideshow clothes. HT Cloak. On a SW Ourworld Hannibal Lector body with HT Jedi Luke Fatsuit. Took my old DX07 Clean Luke which I was using for this Jedi Luke and put him back in his Bespin Fatigues.
[emoji16][emoji16]
[emoji172][emoji172][emoji172]IMG_20190130_145014_340.jpegFB_IMG_1548881921059.jpegFB_IMG_1548881923793.jpegFB_IMG_1548881925748.jpegFB_IMG_1548881930745.jpegFB_IMG_1548881928502.jpegIMG_20190130_145551_818.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back