Hot Toys MMS233 -Predator 2 - 1/6th scale Elder Predator 2.0 Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:exactly: Well said!

5vOjb.gif

Paint can make or break a likeness, let's be honest. What typically separates low-end collectibles from high-end ones is the finish -- and you can bet that on a high-end collectible board, people will focus more on the finish than the sculpt, myself included. While I do wish Kyle would take Tsang's place at HT, I must admit: what good is a perfect sculpt if it's covered in crappy paint? On the one hand I'll have a piece that looks off but nevertheless beautiful and on the other it'll look like I'm running a toy shop.

:dunno

While I do wish Kyle would take Tsang's place at HT, I must admit: what good is a perfect sculpt if it's covered in crappy paint? On the one hand I'll have a piece that looks off but nevertheless beautiful and on the other it'll look like I'm running a toy shop.

First world collector problems hey! :panic: :lol

Paint can make or break a likeness, let's be honest. What typically separates low-end collectibles from high-end ones is the finish -- and you can bet that on a high-end collectible board, people will focus more on the finish than the sculpt, myself included. While I do wish Kyle would take Tsang's place at HT, I must admit: what good is a perfect sculpt if it's covered in crappy paint? On the one hand I'll have a piece that looks off but nevertheless beautiful and on the other it'll look like I'm running a toy shop.

On a human figure maybe. But its pretty clear to me that despite being obviously low end any given NECA Alien is far better in terms of sculpted likeness than anything HT put out. Maybe the gulf isn't quite so huge with Predator :dunno HT Predators are better for what they are than their Aliens were and thusly perhaps its harder for people to see why someone might say a NECA Predator sculpt is better. I dunno.

Everyone seems to have their own rules about what should and shouldn't be compared. Some people say different scales shouldn't be compared. Some people say high end shouldn't be compared with low end. Now we've got someone who is leaving it implicit that it might be OK to compare high end and low end as long as they are the same scale. Its hard to keep track.

Maybe it's just me but the Neca Predator there looks pretty wrong. All the proportions of the face are totally off. The manidbles are too big, the forehead is either too small or the wrong shape, etc. I don't think it's any more accurate than Hot Toys, just wrong in different ways.

That looks awful.:slap

I think overall HT's Elder is the best of the three.

yeah i do believe that SS aliens statues are the best ones they have made,, look at Big chap and Warrior.. they are PERFECT.. for some reason though the elder one aint that great..

so HT takes over on that one..

ps i have original elder HT ,and SS elder statue and i also preorder 2.0 elder... :yess:

Maybe it's just me but the Neca Predator there looks pretty wrong. All the proportions of the face are totally off. The manidbles are too big, the forehead is either too small or the wrong shape, etc. I don't think it's any more accurate than Hot Toys, just wrong in different ways.

It's not just you. More like there is a vocal minority that likes to slam HT's predators and for some reason they think this is the gold standard haha.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSHfp0hspyY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSHfp0hspyY[/ame]

Here's Neny Dee's repainted Neca figure, it looks pretty good with a repaint.

It's not just you. More like there is a vocal minority that likes to slam HT's predators and for some reason they think this is the gold standard haha.

I'm not saying NECA's P1 is perfect. However considering that it is the most accurate P1 sculpt on a figure currently I find it funny that people will bash Kyle's sculpt but continue to say that there's nothing wrong with Tsang's sculpts.

If you're prepared to say Kyle's sculpts aren't quite right you need to be ready to admit Hot Toys aren't as accurate either.:lecture

If we are discussing paint apps & sculpt together as one then I've not seen a better representation of P1 then EndoT800's custom masked NECA P1:

Incredible! :clap

157_6175.jpg

Last edited:
Kyle's sculpts are great in terms of appearance and details but, since he's working by NECA standarts, the overall proportions are bad.

Tsang is very talanted in HQ sculpting but lacks passion. As HT in generall.

___

Nobody wins.
It's ok if you don't care as long as you don't mock your passionate fellow.
And it's awesome if you're passionate but remember that these products aren't made for you so eather try to gently push masses in the right direction or relax and enjoy the farce.

Back