Hot Toys - MMS173 - Predator 2: 1/6th scale City Hunter Predator Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
because you asked.
politeness dictates answering questions if they are not provocative.

Well I meant in the first place. If the mask is such boring conversation why even mention it if you didn't want to talk about it.

because you asked.

take three helmets, compare them side by side and see that the new one is inaccurate almost in every detail while you called it more accurate.
the mask going with old P2 was horrible. it was a free fantasy.

Yes and I agreed with you that that one is more accurate, I wasn't even aware that mask existed. I had just assumed the Guardian came with the same mask as the original P2. My mistake. I admittedly haven't really paid much attention to HT's Pred releases.

If you have issue though with the overall sort of softness of detail on the new P2 I think that's somewhat accurate to the film. The film's costume is very low detail and loose in it's sculpting when you look at the actual props. The P1 costume even more so. Any of the hard cast elements have much better detail compared to the parts that were cast in foam latex.

You can really see that with this photo between the gauntlet and the tasset. HT kind of evens out the detail overall so everything matches which I have no issue with even if it's inaccurate.

https://www.thehunterslair.com/topic/17813-screen-used-and-original-movie-props/

There's a lot of great pictures on the Hunter's Lair forums I'd suggest checking them out if anyone is at all interested in making things more accurate.

https://www.thehunterslair.com/forum/23-predator-reference-gallery/

For me all these changes I make, as I said are for the fun of customization. I just go looking for things to change and base those changes on the original design. It's why I don't really care about correcting details that aren't fun to change for me like the mandibles or taylerdurdem's corrected mask and shoulder cannon (though if I get a Shadow Pred I'll buy one of his awesome Serpent masks but unpainted so I can have fun painting it myself)

I don't actually care about the perfect accuracy, for me it's something that's only noticeable with a lot of research. I care a lot more about silhouette and proportion and this Predator has great proportion and the silhouette looks pretty damn close to right. Certainly far better than some earlier Preds.

Well I meant in the first place. If the mask is such boring conversation why even mention it if you didn't want to talk about it.
pointing out the differences for somebody who's not interested is boring. for me i mean.
If you have issue though with the overall sort of softness of detail on the new P2 I think that's somewhat accurate to the film.
no it's not. same as about the breathing mask )
1) you look at movie items totally destroyed by time
2) movie close-up details were... detailed
3) the issue is that HT lowered their level of armor detalisation with these new predator series.
for example, groin armor consisted of many details previously, and they were sculpted separately, and now it's just one piece of soft plastic.
P1's chest belt was made of (fake) leather and had a separate buckle with the belt going in and out, while classic's chest belt is one piece of plastic. "guardian" trophy belt was made of short suede pieces, tied up like P2 should have, and new P2's trophy belt is a piece of plastic. and so on. plus the details become worse and worse sculpted. plus less and less shapes accuracy.
i cannot keep from moving that line to the future and seeing a predator-2029 made from one piece of plastic with no details. it makes me panic. i want a fat poseable predator 1 and predator 2 perfectly fitting the movie, and HT is the only giving them high-quality and at the same time poseable, and they work less and less on them instead of making them more and more complex.
you have correctly attached hands to create the details you want, i haven't.
:lol
That looks like a response from a Terminator. Read it in Arnold's voice.

"Basic courtesy is one of my subroutines."
p5rqP.gif

Last edited:
Right on. We're obviously both focussed on different things that we want out of the figures and that's okay. You have the previous versions you like better and I have the new ones which I like better. :)

Thanks for the replys to my inquiry about the masks. I just got this guy set up the way I like and have him in the detolf next to Berserker.

It made me notice just how small Berserker is. He is smaller in stature than the City Hunter! Another HT fail. He was supposed to be like 13-1/2 inches tall and he is actually shorter than my Pred 2! Im gonna pack up and sell my Berserker and hound. I need to make room for the inevitable P2 Elder reissue! :yess:

It made me notice just how small Berserker is. He is smaller in stature than the City Hunter! Another HT fail. He was supposed to be like 13-1/2 inches tall and he is actually shorter than my Pred 2! :
Brian Steele, actor for berserker: 6' 7"

Kevin Peter Hall, actor for P1, P2 and Grayback: 7'2"

do your homework.

and another lesson: there never was any P2 elder. it's Grayback. it's not a comics hero.

do your homework.

and another lesson: there never was any P2 elder. it's Grayback. it's not a comics hero.

Thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to school me in the arts of predator nerdom. I was referring to this:

101030173821fda2074fb653b4.jpg

What I always found interesting about that was that you can tell how big he was supposed to be by the armor since the body shrunk but the armor did not so it's now slightly oversized.

yeah. that's me for you! call me sick, i hate mistakes like "p2 should be smaller than berserker" )

do your homework.

That depends if they're going by the actors' heights, or by predator lore/canon.

The super predators are supposed to be taller than Winston's.

The super predators are supposed to be taller than Winston's.
since when?
since Rodriguez' script writer said that?
but there was no Winston predator in Rodriguez movie, there was Derek Mears of 6'5" which is nothing compared to Hall's 7'2".
if somebody had guts to say his second-hand creatures are taller than original predators, he should have resources to show that. he didn't, so - :wave
no predators filmed after P2 are taller than original predators. not even Scar / Wolf (Ian Whyte of 7'1").

no predators are stronger also.

Just enjoy the fantasy/fiction guys, no need for this type of dissection behind the magic of movie making.

A super Pred can still be way more powerful then a P1 or P2 Predator while being around the same height or even shorter..since when did height= stronger and more skilled?.

They're just movies to me when it comes to these types of arguments..hell,even at times i welcome my collectibles to have enhanced detailing opposed to what the actual props look/operate as most of the time they look quite cheap and lacking detail close up compared to an artist's interpretation of that character's screen used props.

Last edited:
Hey guys im looking to trade ... I want a Hot Toys Nick Fury. I am willing to trade my MIB Enterbay pieces along with my Exclusive Rambo PF ... If you are interested please email me @ [email protected]

since when?
since Rodriguez' script writer said that?
but there was no Winston predator in Rodriguez movie, there was Derek Mears of 6'5" which is nothing compared to Hall's 7'2".
if somebody had guts to say his second-hand creatures are taller than original predators, he should have resources to show that. he didn't, so - :wave
no predators filmed after P2 are taller than original predators. not even Scar / Wolf (Ian Whyte of 7'1").

no predators are stronger also.
The whole point of the super predators was that they were in fact larger and taller than the original Winston designs. And the classic predator in Predators was based on Winston's design.

"The large ones hunt the smaller ones. It's like the difference between dogs and wolves." - Fatburne

It's like the Godzilla films. The actor who played Godzilla was of a normal man's height I assume, yet Godzilla is supposed to be hundreds of feet tall.

If we're going by your argument, all Godzilla figures/statues should be in scale with the height of a human male. :lol

Maybe they should make a show similar to Deadliest Warrior instead breaking down the advantages/disadvantages of fictional characters and pitting them against one another. :p

Yeah I'm pretty sure the predators of Predator 3 are 'intended' to be bigger than the jungle hunter and city hunter. Thus the Hot Toys Berserker ought to have been bigger.

Back