1/6 Hot Toys - MMS - The Phantom Menace - Qui-Gon Jinn

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pose. I wish mine would leave HK already. Qui-Gon been hanging out at the airport for 10 days now.

Well that was a nice surprise! Wasn't expecting my Qui-Gon until Monday, but UPS decided to deliver it 3 days early.

Have to admit I wasn't feeling too excited about this from pics, but this is definitely one of those figures that's a whole lot more impressive in hand. For one thing there's his height, which gives him a ton of presence and makes him dwarf nearly every other SW figure I own. And with the dark boots he's also got this sorta dashing, piratey look which I never noticed before and which really sets him apart from my other Jedi figures. :D

Yeah the sculpt is still a bit generic and vaguely asian looking, but it works well enough under the lighting I have, and the overall look of the figure makes up for it pretty well. And I'm certainly feeling much happier with this than I was with ROTS Obi-Wan.

View attachment 501697

View attachment 501696

View attachment 501698

Nice shots. I'll see this next year.

Received mine yesterday. Not a bad figure at all, and looks great displayed with Obi Wan and Anakin

View attachment 501198

Well that was a nice surprise! Wasn't expecting my Qui-Gon until Monday, but UPS decided to deliver it 3 days early.

Have to admit I wasn't feeling too excited about this from pics, but this is definitely one of those figures that's a whole lot more impressive in hand. For one thing there's his height, which gives him a ton of presence and makes him dwarf nearly every other SW figure I own. And with the dark boots he's also got this sorta dashing, piratey look which I never noticed before and which really sets him apart from my other Jedi figures. :D

Yeah the sculpt is still a bit generic and vaguely asian looking, but it works well enough under the lighting I have, and the overall look of the figure makes up for it pretty well. And I'm certainly feeling much happier with this than I was with ROTS Obi-Wan.

View attachment 501698

Nice shots guys! The head sculpt looks great with the right lighting...

I won't have mine until after the holidays but looking forward to it:)

are the staining issue for all the Qui-gon robes? or only few?

Does Obi-wan/Anakin robe have the issue?

Hard to give a definitive answer to your question. Only advice i can give you would be "better safe than sorry". Your robe might not bleed and stain your figure but you must keep in mind that it is a possibility.
Even if soaking your robe in warm water with a drop of detergent/soap won't prevent it 100%, it will drastically reduce chances of staining your figure. And, besides, it will also help in getting a more realistic look for your figure.

Mine shipped out about the same time as yours. It?s STILL at the airport at HK :( What?s the status on your figure? Arrived yet?

Mine left HK tuesday. Ususally takes 5 to 6 days before it surfaces here in France. With holiday season, i'll be lucky to have him in hands by the end of the year. Otherwise, it'll be first week of 2021.

After countless poses, I think the poncho looks exceptionally good on QuiGon.

Having sideshow' version hidden under his robe, i lean toward a poncho display for this one.

Anyone else have an issue with Qui-Gon's head fitting loosely in the neck hole? It was snug when I pulled it off to remove the plastic and add the poncho, but now it goes on loosely. Fine on display but not like any other figure I've had. Odd.

Zero issue for me, but I was having quite a hard time removing his head to put on the poncho. You'll have to push it harder I guess, well that's what she said apparently :)

Just got this guy for Christmas. Was hoping the sculpt would look better in hand... soft, generic looking, should have been better imo. Shame this is probably the only one we will get. Everything else is perfect with him. Looks really good with some shadows around him, distinctly Qui-Gon then.

Hopefully we get some more TPM figures. Kenobi, Queen Amidala, Jar-Jar, Anakin...

Just got this guy for Christmas. Was hoping the sculpt would look better in hand... soft, generic looking, should have been better imo. Shame this is probably the only one we will get. Everything else is perfect with him. Looks really good with some shadows around him, distinctly Qui-Gon then.

Hopefully we get some more TPM figures. Kenobi, Queen Amidala, Jar-Jar, Anakin...

Absolutely unserviceable head. A shameful effort by hot toys.

The rest of the figure is lovely but they head is unusable.

My plan is to sculpt a beard and hair the upcoming KA Kim blitzway MIB head

The thing is i think yulli is a good sculptor I’m beginning to think more and more these heads are looking so bad with hot toys because if JC Hong’s art direction. I know the license holder had a lot to do with approving likeness but likeness is consistently off I just don’t think he’s that good with directing likeness. I’ve seen some of the worst heads they’ve done by some of the best sculptors case in point the Michael Keaton by Buffy. I can’t recall the last time I thought a hot toys head sculpt was great. Probably black widow endgame that was a good one.

I also like the last Jedi Adam Driver a lot. Case in point that’s by Yuli.

Last edited:
Some of you are really hard to please. I'm a stickler for likeness and have actually cancelled figures when I wasn't happy with the sculpt, but this one really isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be.

Some of you are really hard to please. I'm a stickler for likeness and have actually cancelled figures when I wasn't happy with the sculpt, but this one really isn't as bad as you guys make it out to be.

People are allowed to be picky with the pricetag on these things being what it is, especially when the description always states "detailed and authentic likeness".

It's not a terrible sculpt, but it's not great either. It's just okay. I know who it's supposed to be when I look at it.

I haven't seen it in person, but this figure seems kind of boring to me. Although I'm sure others feel the opposite. I won't be spending my cash on him, though. I'd prefer a Mace Windu to pair with my ATOC Yoda

I haven't seen it in person, but this figure seems kind of boring to me. Although I'm sure others feel the opposite. I won't be spending my cash on him, though. I'd prefer a Mace Windu to pair with my ATOC Yoda

Mace Windu is also a middle aged man in a tunic and robe.

I enjoy having this figure on the shelf but still doesn't look like Qui-Gon to me. Kind of the same deal as ANH Obi-Wan, I think it looks great, but I know it's not exactly Alec Guinness either.

Back