Hot Toys MMS AOTC Padme Amidala (Speculation)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was pretty shocking seeing this for sure. The head looks like something from a threezero or even a random generic knock off company. I don’t think anyone could argue that it looks like her or even like a hot toys sculpt.

"You're breaking my heart, Hot Toys!"

I know, paraphrasing from the wrong movie but still...

We all knew she was coming at some point and I wanted so badly to be blown away. Along with Bespin Han and Lando, she's the only central character that was a "must have"for me that we hadn't seen yet in great sixth-scale form and now...

We can only hope that there is some major tweaking to do with this before it goes up for PO. Nearly every aspect of this figure is so "off" from HT's usual game.
From the strange, haunted looking sculpt to the ill-fitting body suit...it looks like there could be an undersuit here to try and hide the base figure joints a bit and the end result is a look that completely eliminates any shapely, athletic look Portman brought to the character. Instead, she looks frumpy and bloated. Those strange featureless hands. The odd toy-like clunky boots. The poor material choice for the shawl. The cringe-inducing way the odd head fits onto the body.

This does not look like something from the same company that brought us the impressive Training Armor Wonder Woman. Like Portman, Gadot's features are mildly exotic and tough to capture in a sculpt. But the Gadot portrait shows it can be done. The latest Black Widow (Endgame) shows they can do it. That ScarJo proto looks stunning with the sculpted pulled-back hair with her beautiful features front and center.

What happened here with Padme?

How did Howard approve this as con-ready? If this truly is what they want to PO and send through production, one shudders to think what could appear in boxes a year or so from now. Very disappointing.

I know I'm on a tear here, but it's only because we are talking about one of the most significant women in the SW saga and for this to be the representation HT wants to offer us...well, I hope they pull this back and present it later after some more work. It's insanely ironic that one of the leading ladies of SW is being shown up on the con floor by a teddy bear.

What he said.

Spot on. Unlike this figure. Really excited for this until I saw it. Needs to so much better

I really don’t think it looks as bad as people are making out. Yes, it needs improvements. Tighter clothing, less obvious neck line, but facially it is Natalie Portman and comparisons with the publicity shots of the actress in the same outfit demonstrate that the needed changes are minor. I’ll be happy to finally have such a key character in my collection.

I really don’t think it looks as bad as people are making out. Yes, it needs improvements. Tighter clothing, less obvious neck line, but facially it is Natalie Portman and comparisons with the publicity shots of the actress in the same outfit demonstrate that the needed changes are minor. I’ll be happy to finally have such a key character in my collection.

I actually agree.
The look is there...just needs some tightening up where the head/neck is.
Am pretty sure HT will have her ready and up to snuff when PO,if ever,comes.
Hopefully an exclusive or dlx version with Nexu,torn clothing and a chain 😉😉

image.jpeg

Found this on insta. Definitely not the perfect sculpt but it looks better from this angle. Still needs work though.

Just need to slim up her face and fix that ugly neck joint and she'll be fine. But Im very afraid of final production wont be as same as the innital prototype, Jyn Erso for the example.

It was pretty shocking seeing this for sure. The head looks like something from a threezero or even a random generic knock off company. I don’t think anyone could argue that it looks like her or even like a hot toys sculpt.

This is basically it. It's even weird things like the parting in her hair clearly being quite specifically designed, and yet completely inaccurate.

Padme comparison.jpg

You can see how they've shaped her hair has made it look too straight and perhaps a little lacking in volume, although the camera being so up close its hard to gauge due to the perspective shift.

I think ultimately her face looks a little too large on her head (but again, could be mostly due to foreshortening).

I think the face shape is alright, Portman's face was rounder when she was younger, still not sure why the sculpt doesn't quite look like her to me. Maybe the eyes are too small or too slanted or the nose a tad big. I do agree the clothes are too baggy and that neck joint is awful.

The likeness looks like AOTC Portman to me but yeah, they've got a ways to go if they want to upgrade from something that looks like a fancy Barbie doll to a Black Widow figure level of quality.

The likeness looks like AOTC Portman to me but yeah, they've got a ways to go if they want to upgrade from something that looks like a fancy Barbie doll to a Black Widow figure level of quality.
It took them several tries to get Widow right though. And I don't think Padme will get as many attempts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I think the face shape is alright, Portman's face was rounder when she was younger, still not sure why the sculpt doesn't quite look like her to me. Maybe the eyes are too small or too slanted or the nose a tad big. I do agree the clothes are too baggy and that neck joint is awful.

I personally think the sculpt is recognizable as Portman, but to me I see ROTS Padme in the face...

A couple pics I took yesterday. To me, she really doesn't look good in person. I hope they change this sculpt.padme1.jpgpadme2.jpgpadme3.jpg

Attachments

• padme1.jpg
    padme1.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 257
"You're breaking my heart, Hot Toys!"

I know, paraphrasing from the wrong movie but still...

We all knew she was coming at some point and I wanted so badly to be blown away. Along with Bespin Han and Lando, she's the only central character that was a "must have"for me that we hadn't seen yet in great sixth-scale form and now...

We can only hope that there is some major tweaking to do with this before it goes up for PO. Nearly every aspect of this figure is so "off" from HT's usual game.
From the strange, haunted looking sculpt to the ill-fitting body suit...it looks like there could be an undersuit here to try and hide the base figure joints a bit and the end result is a look that completely eliminates any shapely, athletic look Portman brought to the character. Instead, she looks frumpy and bloated. Those strange featureless hands. The odd toy-like clunky boots. The poor material choice for the shawl. The cringe-inducing way the odd head fits onto the body.

This does not look like something from the same company that brought us the impressive Training Armor Wonder Woman. Like Portman, Gadot's features are mildly exotic and tough to capture in a sculpt. But the Gadot portrait shows it can be done. The latest Black Widow (Endgame) shows they can do it. That ScarJo proto looks stunning with the sculpted pulled-back hair with her beautiful features front and center.

What happened here with Padme?

How did Howard approve this as con-ready? If this truly is what they want to PO and send through production, one shudders to think what could appear in boxes a year or so from now. Very disappointing.

I know I'm on a tear here, but it's only because we are talking about one of the most significant women in the SW saga and for this to be the representation HT wants to offer us...well, I hope they pull this back and present it later after some more work. It's insanely ironic that one of the leading ladies of SW is being shown up on the con floor by a teddy bear.
And her daughter... but that teddy bear and her daughter had more chemistry then han an leia did in that movie...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Agree with everyone here (except that one guy who thinks it's perfect) - it needs a lot of work. Hopefully, they just wanted to show us they're working on it.

This is basically it. It's even weird things like the parting in her hair clearly being quite specifically designed, and yet completely inaccurate.

View attachment 461563

You can see how they've shaped her hair has made it look too straight and perhaps a little lacking in volume, although the camera being so up close its hard to gauge due to the perspective shift.

I think ultimately her face looks a little too large on her head (but again, could be mostly due to foreshortening).

She needs a little more chin and a little less forehead but not by much... or more that it (the face) needs to be relocated on the head. The nose is a bit too straight as she has a bit of a lift to hers and the under portion of the tip is too large. Another thing is the body is rather off and it starts with the neck width being incorrect and goes from there... also agree with the stylized hair it has flattened it out. She has a natural nap to it that I dont think can be captured in a sculpted plastic.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

She needs some work, but not much. I see Portman in there. The side profile needs the most work. And I'm terrified they'll put this up for PO and then sell the torn version as a con exclusive next year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

View attachment 461563

In those pictures it looks like they’re got the head shape right if her mouth was open but with her mouth shut it’s too long.

Sculpt looks okay from straight on, but pretty bad from that 3/4 angle, which is usually the best angle for most of these figures. Overall an awkward-looking figure that really needs tweaks from head to toe.

This figure is 100% going on preorder soon. The real mystery is where is Jango? The tooling has been done for years now considering he's basically a repaint of Boba.

Pretty sure every single part of Jango is different from either Boba figure.

It's weird that it seems to be missing that extra level of detail and realism we're accustomed to with HT. It almost looks more like a proto sculpt from QMX or BCS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back